Space wolves: Wolf Standard question.

Reclaimer

In the upgrades and equipment for Space Wolves you can have a Wolf Standard. I'm sure you all know what it does (if you don't it allows you to once per game reroll dice that land on 1 for an assault phase.

Question 1: Is that all dice that roll 1? (hits and wounds or just one of the other)

Question 2: When must one declare that they will be using the Wolf Standard? (I.E. can I roll, then see it is a crappy roll, then state I will reroll using my standard OR Must I declare that I will be using the Wolf Standard for the upcoming assault.)

Thank you for the help!

The wolf standard will allow you te re-roll any 1s during the assault phase, so difficult terrain, dangerous terrain, to hit, to wound, armour and invulnerable saves, armour penetration, random attacks for Mark of the wulfen, additional penetration from rending, ragnar's additional D3 attacks and sweeping advance rolls. I think that's it, but basically only things like leadership tests can't be re-rolled as the result is never 1. The FAQ clarified that point.

As for when it's used, the rules state that once declared you gain the bonuses in the next assault phase.

This means to use it in the immediate close combat you need to declare it's use in the shooting phase. Obviously this can lead to your opponent opting not to charge you and so you losing the use of your item.

A house rule that is played with most people I know is that you declare its use during the assault phase and it functions immediately, however this is only a house rule. RAW it functions as I said above.

This also means that you wouldn't normally be allowed to roll all of your to hit dice, see that a lot rolled 1 and decide to use it to gain the rerolls, even with the house rule in play, I would feel that it's against the spirit of fairness and certainly wouldn't do it myself.

As I say, I always declare at the start of the phase before any rolls are made. Sometimes this means I miss out as the unit doesn't roll high enough on the difficult terrain rolls but it's a very uncommon situation.

Question for Wolf players/opponents out there while this thread is up:

I play per RAW as explained by stinken above (must declare during shooting phase). I usually politely explain to my opponents what the standard is/does (if they don't know) and ask for a slight pause once my opponent is done with their shooting. Sometimes my decision on whether to use the standard is based on # of models left in the squad, whom they are potentially being charged by, etc.

I've run into some (rare) situations when my opponent finishes shooting, declares "assault phase" and won't then let me declare standard use [fairly unsportsmanlike, but technically RAWS]

If I start declaring standard use at the beginning/middle of the shooting phase, that influences my opponent, and he may choose to rapid fire/no assault, shoot/charge a different unit, etc.

My quandry is that I "feel" the standard should be used in the interim (that doesn't exist) between the shooting and assault phases. It should be declared early enough to influence opponent decisison on whether to assault or not, but not too early as to influence the shooting phase (opinion). What are others' experiences with this rule?

I have similar Issues with things that must be done at the start of the turn, like logan's ability, or warptime for chaos. If my opponent starts moving before I have time to say "hold up a sec" do I lose the chance to do it?

Recently I have been forgetting to choose logan's ability right at the start, but my friend's et me off as its generally near the start of the movement phase, but if i dont remember til their shooting phase I dont allow myself to use it :D

If your opponent deliberately rushes ahead to prevent you using an item then they are simply being a douche (couldn't think of a better term) and in my kind are verging on cheating.

Let's be honest, anything you do to gain an unfair advantage over someone is cheating, and in this case if you refuse to allow your opponent a chance go utilise their ability then you are cheating.

The only thing I can suggest is to declare it's use before morale checks are made.

As to logan's ability, technically you shouldn't be allowed to go back and use it but in my local group we always do mini-backsies. So long as it won't affect anything in that phase (e.g suddenly remembering a unit has feel no pain after modems have been removed etc) we usually allow it to be done even if it us out of sequence.

I realise that most people wouldn't be happy with that but it doesn't impact our games and it isn't a common thing.

I would also do the same in competitive games and allow my opponent a backsie but that's just the way I play.

+edit+ with start of turn rules, usually I declare them on 'handover', for example 'right that's me done, your turn. By the way xxx is going to do xxx now' it generally solves any issues, otherwise I see little problem with going 'while you finish moving those guys this guy is going to do xxx'. Obviously the longer you leave it the more upset some people can become.

If your opponent deliberately rushes ahead to prevent you using an item then they are simply being a douche (couldn't think of a better term) and in my kind are verging on cheating.

Disclaimer: I play Space Wolves.

I agree with this. If your opponent tries to deny you the use of your wargear by rushing ahead in the game then its at the least rude, and at worst its cheating. It takes only a moment to say "ok, ready for the assault phase? we get all the morale checks out of the way?"

Archived