Rhinos

Seahawk

I'd say yes. Using smoke launchers triggers after completing its move and prevents it from firing it's weapons in the shooting phase. (p.62BRB)

Repair is used "instead of" shooting (p76 C:SM). Nowhere can I find where it says using smoke prevents you from attempting a repair.

Someone may be able to correct me though :)

If you cant shoot, you cant do anything instead of shooting.

My take on it is that if you cannot shoot you can do anything except shooting. Repair isn't a shooting ability, and so using it when popping smoke or being stunned seems reasonable to me. It's like the Techmarine, he can repairs in the shooting phase instead of shooting, its supposed to make you think about whether you want to fire that storm bolter or repair your vehicle.

I'm inclined to agree with grey Mage to an extent.

I think that based on the FAQ that states potms cannot be used to shoot after smoke launchers have been used, it seems to make sense that you also wouldn't be able to do any actions that take place instead of shooting.

That's just how I see it though, and I think that's what GM was getting at.

You can use smokes if you can't shoot, so why not repair?

Because, popping smoke isnt instead of shooting.

When you pop smoke you are unable to shoot for the rest of that turn. Your not exchanging shooting for smoke.

The repair takes the place of shooting. But your not allowed to shoot... so theres nothing to take the place of.

This is of course just my off the cuff opinion.

It could be argued that Smoke Launchers doesnt say your unable to shoot- just that none of your weapons may be fired. That seems an argument of semantics to me however. Still, popping smoke and then trying to repair is far from game breaking, and I probly wouldnt even blink at it if you did this during a game- unless your shifty, and were bending or breaking rules left and right before that.

Na, I don't have the shifty eyes and all that. The dog does...(somebody know the reference please!)

Alrighty, so it's more or less agreed that smoke and repair probably isn't doable. What about the shaken/stunned and repairs? My argument for being allowed to: walkers may run (instead of shooting) even when Shaken. So repairing (instead of shooting) isn't that far removed, right?

Na, I don't have the shifty eyes and all that. The dog does...(somebody know the reference please!)

Simpsons

Alrighty, so it's more or less agreed that smoke and repair probably isn't doable. What about the shaken/stunned and repairs? My argument for being allowed to: walkers may run (instead of shooting) even when Shaken. So repairing (instead of shooting) isn't that far removed, right?

Agreed. I still wouldn't have any issue with you trying to repair a smoking rhino though.

Well if using the same logic as above of not allowing anything that replaces shooting – then I'd guess no you can't repair while shaken/stunned ;).

[The Run! issue isn't really a good example as vehicles apart from walkers can't run].

Cheers

I

Huh. I'd honestly never thought of that! Interesting. I'd tentatively have to agree with GM, if the wording is "instead of". I have never seen anyone play it that way. TBH, I so rarely see anyone remember that repair roll during a game anyways that it probably hasn't ever come up.

Archived