First Digital Artwork

S. Bloodhowl

So, I recently decided to try some digital art for my Higher Art course at school and absolutely loved it. Since photoshop is stupidly expensive my teacher showed me GIMP (essentially a free Photoshop) and I've been working on it at home since, following tutorials to learn new techniques.

I then stumbled upon

tutorial on youtube and really wanted to try it, but not copy it completely. So when I was musing over this an idea occurred to me: Conversion Beamer. Unfortunately, my graphics tablet hasn't arrived yet so I cant draw anything, and hence couldn't follow this idea. Then I though Necron Guass Weaponry and (bear with me) wouldn't it be awesome to see a [Chaos] Marine getting flayed alive. Unfortunately I couldn't find a model anywhere of a Chaos Marine dying so had to opt instead for the 'Last Stand' injured Marine.

Anyway, enough of my blabbering, here is what I've done so far:

gallery_49580_4854_35518.jpg

It still needs a lot of work done on the background and beam (need tablet though) but I though I'd drop it here for your enjoyment.

C&C welcome,

Bloodhowl

it's a good start. Like you said you still have a long way to go with it, but we all have to start somewhere. I've worked with GIMP a fair amount. I will give it it's credit, it's an amazing package for free. But I must point out that it falls short of Photoshop's full capacities and abilities by a wide margin and the more involved you get with it the more you'll be hitting your head on the ceiling of it's capabilities. Have you looked at a Student Discounted version of Photoshop? I got CS3 for about $100 that way.

Hi,

it is very very nice and I would love getting an answer by you concerning some co-operation. Mybe you know I am a "as-realistic-as-possible"-photographer when it comes to WH 40K and would love sening you some photos you could possibly add some effects on. Interested?

Good work man !

Thanks for the comments guys

@maverik_prime: I am aware that GIMP lacks certain capabilities in comparison to photoshop, and that I will likely wish to have it instead. However, this is merely me starting out and not wanting to splash out too much to start with. Anyway, my teacher has said that I can use the schools photoshop whenever I need to so I shouldn't have too much trouble.

@LordOrdGermany: I would love to team up and help you out man, I too love realistic art. If you message me over this site I can arrange better communications with you. The only problem at the moment is that I have only been doing this stuff for a few days and can count the techniques I know on one hand :( . But I'm sure with some google-fu I will be able to accomplish most things with relative ease (I also love learning -_- ). Anyway just pop me a message

Got a little request here: If anyone has a gaming board (preferably an ash wasteland or Cities of Death one) could the maybe take some photos of the board and terrain from both the models view (for the background) and some from slightly higher (these would be for the actual ground). I ask becuase I used actual models as the subjects and think if the terrain were not made from photos of real board it wouldn't look as good.

Thanks in advance,

Bloodhowl

Thank you to those few who have taken interest in this short WiP thread, but I believe that the piece is done now (after a long time on google images). Anyway, here is (what I think will be) the final piece, C&C is very welcome and if you think more needs/could be done, I am happy to take suggestions:

gallery_49580_4854_10481.jpg

Bloodhowl out

I like it, although i feel like either the marine or the cron should be out of focus. This is due to the image u chose as your background. The area the marine is on is out of focus, also, the side of him not being hit by the beam should be in shadow (as that beam would cause some pretty harsh shadows) I think all of this can be fixed pretty easily in Photoshop though.

Archived