The Grizz's Salamanders

Grizzly Adams

Well, after converting my Smurfs to BA, i found that i had a lot of extra stuff that wasn't being used. So instead of letting it collect dust, i Decided to get back into C:SM in a big way, repainting the rest of my ultramarines Green. Seeing as how when i played Smurfs i ran a hestan list anyway, i figured why not. I plan on building a 1st Co. Firedrakes army, so i figured why not make the head of the Firedrakes first, Chapter Master Tu'shan. So i figured that rules wise, who better to use as Tu'Shan than that hammer wielding killing machine, Lysander himself!

Model wise, i started with a Terminator Chappie, due to the fact that i like the model, and i had an extra lying around. I knew i wanted him to have a scaled tabard, unfortunately i have never made a greenstuff tabard before (or tried scales for that matter!), so i tried a couple times and failed a couple times, and this is what i came up with.

gallery_59037_5664_786461.jpg

gallery_59037_5664_994267.jpg

gallery_59037_5664_481971.jpg

gallery_59037_5664_1040927.jpg

i think it turned out decent, just hope it looks good painted. Any way, C & C very welcome, and any ideas or info on the Firedrakes or how to best represent them would be greatly appreciated. I have my BA army for competitive play/tournaments, so i wanted to make this army more about the conversion, modelling, painting, and theme, as well as be fun to play.

Woot! another brother of the flame! Welcome!

I like where you Tu'shan is going. He should look pretty sweet, so definitely looking forward to seeing the end result.

Having done some scaley greenstuff tabards and loincloths - What I would suggest is making the tabard/cloth first and then add the scales. It will help with the flow of the cloth to do them separate. As for the scales, I've done it two ways - first you can lay on another thin layer of GS over the dried/hardened tabard and use a tool to create a scale pattern (make 5 to 6 sided shapes of different shapes and sizes to make it look like a salamanders skin.) and the second route is to take teeny tiny balls of GS and plop them onto the dried/hardened tabard and then "smoosh" them flat. You'll likely need a tool of some sort to sort of reshape the "smoosh" into a scale, but it's easy and the route I chose to take with mine.

Here's an example on my dreadnought:

http://evicerator.com/evicerator/pictures/...dcomplete01.jpg

and on the back of my cape for my custom He'stan:

http://evicerator.com/evicerator/pictures/...ncomplete03.jpg

Here's a captain I build and then turned him into a Sarge:

http://evicerator.com/evicerator/pictures/...geantscales.jpj

Another Sarge:

http://evicerator.com/evicerator/pictures/...geantscales.jpg

Hope that gives you some ideas on a slightly easier and (imho) better looking way to add a scale-y effect to a tabard/cape/loincloth.

Ok, got the cloak done, and the more i think about it, the more i think it is gonna work, the cloak will be like the scaly back and the tabard on the front i will paint like the less scaly underbelly, as that is what it kinda looks like. @Evicerator thanks for the scale idea, i think it turned out pretty well ;)

gallery_59037_5664_5126.jpg

gallery_59037_5664_574968.jpg

gallery_59037_5664_925196.jpg

gallery_59037_5664_1036711.jpg

gallery_59037_5664_1059001.jpg

gallery_59037_5664_740872.jpg

What y'all think?

I like your painting so far.

And sadly I have to agree with LardO'Blood - a little over the top, maybe.

Perhaps if you removed the front part the back "cloak" would do the trick, but this is a little too much. :-(

yeah, when i went back and looked at it, i thought they were a hair big as well, but it had all dried by that point, not a whole lot you can do then :(

@Rogan, i'm not sure that is an option at this point, the greenstuff has been on there for 2 days now, its stuck pretty good.

@Evicerator, actually all it is is a black basecoat, snot green, then Badab Black wash. I was pretty happy with it,

Maybe the paint and the arms will help it out a little, i may pull the scales off the back and start over, Since the front isnt goin anywhere, what would be the best course of action - cover it with small scales, fill in the cracks and make it flat, leave it? :huh:

For three stages of painting, that Green armour looks great.

God bless washes.

As for the greenstuffed chaplain, the stuff on his chest looks alot like quilted armour.

Maybe not the intention, but pretty cool nonetheless. I can't do much more than use greenstuff to fill gaps/make things bigger, so i can't really help with making it look better.

I don't know if it's too late, but I think if you want a front tabard then you're gonna have to shave down his front before putting greenstuff on it. He looks like kind of a corpulent fella at them moment ^_^ I'm sure if you pulled at the tabard a bit it'd all come off in one nice molded mass, if you want to that is.

The green looks great though!

ok, well i kinda started over and decided to redo the scales smaller, and covered up the quilt. Tell me what ya think

gallery_59037_5664_321876.jpg

gallery_59037_5664_1012723.jpg

gallery_59037_5664_6154.jpg

gallery_59037_5664_381350.jpg

gallery_59037_5664_482818.jpg

gallery_59037_5664_402217.jpg

ok lookin back, i am gonna do a lil cleanp on the front tabard down by his feet, but other than that, what y'all think

Much better scales this time round though personally the front and back is to much. Remove the front bit or change it to just the arms of the firedrake that go over the shoulders. Like hoe the space wolves have the ams of the wolve over there shoulders...something like that just more scaled cloak I think that would look better.

Much better scales this time round though personally the front and back is to much. Remove the front bit or change it to just the arms of the firedrake that go over the shoulders. Like hoe the space wolves have the ams of the wolve over there shoulders...something like that just more scaled cloak I think that would look better.

yeah, i kinda felt the same way, i may mess with him this evenin and post an update

Ok, due to the overwhelming hatred for the god-awful thing i put on the front of the model, (i couldn't even convince myself to like it) it has been removed, and a much simpler more traditional tabard has taken its place. My order from Chapterhouse Studios came in, so he now has his Hammer and Shield (a full product review of the stuff i ordered can be found on my Blog) Overall, i like the newer look, hopefully can get some paint on him soon!

gallery_59037_5664_752332.jpg

gallery_59037_5664_43682.jpg

gallery_59037_5664_830902.jpg

gallery_59037_5664_219843.jpg

the texture on the tabard is intentional, i plan to paint it up like a lizard belly....or somethin.

Anyways, have at it, tell me what you think!

hey dude excellent cloaks man i myself am collecting a sallies army and didnt like the corsair cloaks for them could u possibly put up a tutorial or step by stpe guide as to how u did the scales for the cloaks as i have seen a few on here and various other places and they results dont quite cut it. as i have just got my hands on a termies box i wanna go all out and produce firedrakes worthy of the name. any help greatly appreciated and pics of my army shall be comin soon. cheers man

hey dude excellent cloaks man i myself am collecting a sallies army and didnt like the corsair cloaks for them could u possibly put up a tutorial or step by stpe guide as to how u did the scales for the cloaks as i have seen a few on here and various other places and they results dont quite cut it. as i have just got my hands on a termies box i wanna go all out and produce firedrakes worthy of the name. any help greatly appreciated and pics of my army shall be comin soon. cheers man

well thank you, actually, this was my first try doing it, i got a lot of help from Evicerator who told me how to do it. I quoted him from above-

Woot! another brother of the flame! Welcome!

I like where you Tu'shan is going. He should look pretty sweet, so definitely looking forward to seeing the end result.

Having done some scaley greenstuff tabards and loincloths - What I would suggest is making the tabard/cloth first and then add the scales. It will help with the flow of the cloth to do them separate. As for the scales, I've done it two ways - first you can lay on another thin layer of GS over the dried/hardened tabard and use a tool to create a scale pattern (make 5 to 6 sided shapes of different shapes and sizes to make it look like a salamanders skin.) and the second route is to take teeny tiny balls of GS and plop them onto the dried/hardened tabard and then "smoosh" them flat. You'll likely need a tool of some sort to sort of reshape the "smoosh" into a scale, but it's easy and the route I chose to take with mine.

Here's an example on my dreadnought:

Dreadnought

and on the back of my cape for my custom He'stan:

Vulkan

Another Sarge:

http://evicerator.com/evicerator/pictures/...geantscales.jpg

Hope that gives you some ideas on a slightly easier and (imho) better looking way to add a scale-y effect to a tabard/cape/loincloth.

i just take greenstuff and roll them into little balls and apply them right next to each other on a pre made cloak. Once you cover the whole cloak in little GS balls, then i take my x-acto knife handle (or anything smooth and cylindrical), wet it so it does not stick to the GS, then roll it over the balls, applying a light amount of force, smooshing them to your own liking. then, wait for it to dry and Voila!! you got a scale cloak!

Only thing i can say is the shoulders look a bit low.

Yeah, it may be just that i dont have shoulder pads on him yet, waiting on my order from FW to come it.

Suh-weeeeeeet.

Looking waaaay less pudgy without the front-lizard thing, although it was a cool idea. The shield is awesome and the hammer-staff-thang is awesome. Awesome! :)

Why thank you, I have Chapterhouse Studios to thank for the Hammer head and the shield, i must say i am pretty happy with them as well. he is now primed and awaiting paint :lol:

alllllright!

glad you removed that front and added the smaller tabard/loincloth. Your mini looks a TON better now.

The new shield and staff look great too.

You getting the FW salamander shoulder pads?

glad you like, yeah, i wasn't gonna worry about em, then i got on the FW website and took one look and simultaneously picked my jaw up off the floor and clicked "add to cart". they are sweet!

Archived