"It's after me!" Perils of the Warp question

The Rose Princes

So i was playing my Tyranids against the Space Wolves and he had one of his wolf priest psyker things... so i used my Deathleaper and rolled -3 Leadership on him at the beginning of the game.

so somewhere around turn 3 my Tyranid Prime attached to hormagaunts just finished assaulting the Whirlwind that his psyker was using for cover and had just blown it up, and were literally 2 inches away from the psyker.

on the wolves' turn, he used Jaws of the Winter Wolf in a line towards my lone carnifex. deathleaper was still alive, tyranid prime was within 12" so he was under Shadow of the Warp, so he's rolling 3d6 with a leadership of 7. he rolls 1, 1, 6.... totals 8 so he fails, but rolled double 1's so he perils and succeeds?

is there a president for rolling double 1's if you still exceed your leadership value? or is double 1's even on psykic test just the same as Insane Courage... no matter how screwed you are you're staying in the game (albeit without your frontal lobe)?

As far as I'm aware there us nothing like Irresistable Force in 40k.

Usually the double 1 will succeed because no ones leadership is 2, however in situations where you are required to roll multiple dice or leadership has been reduced it is possible that the combined result will mean the test us failed.

In this case his leadership test was failed as he had rolled higher than his modified laddering, so despite the double 1 he didn't cast the power.

The double 1=auto pass is only found in morale tests to represent the insane courage or stubbornness of units. A psychic test is just a leadership test and not a morale check so they don't cross over.

yeah in this situation he failed the Ld check and must take a perils test.. poor fella

is there a president for rolling double 1's

if there was a president of rolling ones id stand for election, its what im good at :D , just busting your chops, you meant to say precedent

darn spell check went the wrong direction.... that is what i meant, yes.

it's funny, i posed this question on both space marine board and the tyranid board: marines say no it doesn't go off and tyranid said yes it does go off... everyone's so humble it's sickening!

in the end i let it go off and my fex died, but then he got eaten by 20+ hormagaunts so i'd call that fair.

thanks all.

The only time where a double 1 is an auto-pass is for moral tests, and this is designed for combat results which through modifiers force leadership to 1 or 0. For example, my Tactical marines charge into some Guardsmen (Ld8). I kill 8 of them, and they kill 1 of me, which results in my winning by 7. They take a morale test modified by -7, so they're now rolling on Ld1 on 2D6. This is normally impossible, but insane heroism says I auto pass on a roll of double 1. It basically gives units in situations like these a fighting chance.

Shadow in the Warp forces enemy psykers within 12" to take a psychic test on 3D6. Any rolls of double 1 or double 6 cause Perils in the Warp. Deathleaper reduces leadership by D3 while alive, in this instance 3. So your opponent is making a psychic test on 3D6 at Ld7. A psychic test is not a morale test, it is a leadership test, and so it isn't affected by insane heroism. On this occasion, the rolling of 6,1,1 would result in a total of 8, meaning he fails the test. All the double 1 means is that he suffers Perils of the Warp, but he doesn't get his psychic power because he failed it.

Hope that clears things up a little bit.

On a minor note it is caled Jaws of the World Wolf. Not the winterwolf. It fits with the idea that Fenrisians thends to "wolf" everything. The world wolf being the earth (like an earthquake.) First time I read it I pictured huge wolf heads coming out of the earth crust exalted style (the roleplay game) but then I realised it was just a land sunking.

on page 50 brb "a psyker who rolls double 1 wtll still use his power, even if he is wounded or killed as a result."

i would say the power still works

This is refers to occasion when a psyker rolls a double 1 and dies from Perils of the Warp, and the rulebook is simply clarifying that he still gets to use his power.

It does not say that a double 1 means he always uses the power. If he was leadership 1, he would still fail and suffer Perils. In this instance, the psyker was Ld7, he rolled 8 on 3d6, including a double 1. Nowhere does it say that psychic tests are passed on a double 1, is says he may still use the power if he passes but suffers Perils. In this instance, the Libby didn't pass, he doesn't get to use the power, and he suffers Perils.

i'm sorry to disagree with you you DG but "a psyker who rolls double 1 will still use his power" now what that says to me is a psyker who rolls double 1 will still use his power no matter what

edit: where dose it say that psychic tests are failed on a double 1 if the psyker is ld:1?

Note that a psyker who rolls a double 1 will still use his power...

To use a psychic power successfully the psyker must pass a Psychic test, which is a normal Leadership test.

Leadership Tests: If the result is equal to or less than the model's Leadership, the test is passed.

Shadow In the Warp: Any enemy psyker that takes a Psychic test within 12" of a Tyranid with the Shadow in the Warp special rule must take the test on 3D6 and will suffer a Perils of the Warp attack on the roll of any double 1 or double 6.

The relevant parts are bolded. You may only use a power if you successfully pass the Leadership test, which in this case is on 3D6. Double 1 or no, if you are over your leadership value you fail. Here, you fail and suffer perils.

i'm sorry to disagree with you you DG but "a psyker who rolls double 1 will still use his power" now what that says to me is a psyker who rolls double 1 will still use his power no matter what

edit: where dose it say that psychic tests are failed on a double 1 if the psyker is ld:1?

The double 1 thing only relates to being able to use a psychic power if the psyker passes his psychic test on a double 1, but also dies as a result of Perils. If the psyker, is, for some reason, Ld1, he can't use a psychic power, as the minimum he can roll is double 1, which equals 2, which is greater than 1, and therefore he's failed it. And he gets Perils for rolling double 1.

I feel you are reading into this way too much. That clause is there for a psyker who passes his test on double 1, rolling lower than his leadership, suffering Perils of the Warp. It clarifies that he still gets to use the power, as he passed, even if he dies in the attempt. However, in the example of this article, the player failed the psychic test be rolling higher than his leadership value, but also rolling a double 1. He fails, and gets Perils. There is no indication that is like Insane Heroism, and it shouldn't be treated as such. I'd suggest reading over Seahawk's most recent post a couple of times.

Archived