Blood Angels Baal Predator (planning)

Catsi

So I picked up the Baal Predator, simply because it looks cool. :)

The thing is, I've never painted Blood Angels before and the research I've done seems to clash a bit.

The owner of the hobby shop I bought the tank from swears by undercoating in Chaos Black Spray, then doing a very light coat of Brown, maybe Beastial Brown. Then a dry brushing of Red Gore or Scab Red, followed by a lighter coating of Blood Red.

There's something about doing a 2nd undercoat in brown that makes me go "huh?"

Other recommendations include spray painting in black and then doing red layers of progressive brightness until it's as bright as you like it to be.

Anyway, I've always found this forum to be filled with people who know what they're doing (unlike me), so I thought I'd see what your opinions would be for a kick arse paint job.

None of this is for gaming, I like like to paint is all.

If all else fails, I'll just follow the GW paint guide, though without the Mechrite Red and spray gun (not stocked here)

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/...rue&start=3

Just need to mention though, I live in Switzerland, so access to certain paints and supplies is rather restricted, my store only stocks GW paints and I haven't been able to find another one.

Anyway, all of your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

when it comes to Blood Angels, i have always had better luck with a white base coat, as the reds tend to be thinner seems like. I painted mine with a white basecoat, mechrite red, then drybrush red gore then blood red, followed by a black wash (link to them in my sig). that may not be the look you are lookin for, but i am pretty happy with the way the red turned out.

Hmm, tough call with something as large as a tank. If it is primed in black already then you are best going for the mechrite red route, then a 50/50 mix of mechrite and blood red then highlight to your liking. However without an airbrush of somekind that will be VERY time consuming. Have you checked online about availability of Army Painter paints? Their Dragon red spray will make short work of the mechrite stage if you can get hold of a can. If not you'll have to bite the bullet and go forth with mechrite, water and a large brush!

Hmm, tough call with something as large as a tank. If it is primed in black already then you are best going for the mechrite red route, then a 50/50 mix of mechrite and blood red then highlight to your liking. However without an airbrush of somekind that will be VERY time consuming. Have you checked online about availability of Army Painter paints? Their Dragon red spray will make short work of the mechrite stage if you can get hold of a can. If not you'll have to bite the bullet and go forth with mechrite, water and a large brush!

true that. AP Dragon Red and mechrite red are very very similar in shade and will save you a butt ton of time painting the tanks if you dont have access to an airbrush.

@Grizzly Adams

Hmmm, similar to the GW recommendation, though I think I like the darker look of yours better.

So instead of providing a lighter drybrush on the edges and a highlighting, you darkened portions of the armour?

@IronKobra

Just checked out Army Painter paints and they don't ship to Switzerland. Thanks though. Might need to take a small road trip to find the supplies I need. I have a feeling that if I paint the whole tank again after undercoating in either black OR white, I run the danger of the job being inconsistent and I really want this to look good. Thanks for letting me know about the store though.

Wouldn't a black undercoat provide you with a darker beginning which you could then brighten through dry brushing and highlighting? or is it better to darken as you go? I just want to stay away from how the Blood Angels looked like 15 years ago in the store I used to go to. They always struck me as a bright, pretty, plasticy red instead of a rich embodied one. I really want to bring out their noble countenance, with darker undertones.

Not sure if that makes sense. :)

@Grizzly Adams

Hmmm, similar to the GW recommendation, though I think I like the darker look of yours better.

So instead of providing a lighter drybrush on the edges and a highlighting, you darkened portions of the armour?

yup, after i paint it, i use a tank brush and GW Badab Black wash and coat the whole thing, then you just take a clean brush and kinda seep up the heavy spots and TADAA!!!! all done.

Oh, and @Grizzly Adams? Just saw your Dreadnought. Looks brilliant. Great job.

why thank you sir, i am kinda fond of it

You could always try finding your nearest art shop and asking if they do an acrylic spray paint. If they do, they'd probably have a few shades to try. I sprayed my Blood Angels with acrylic red satin-matt finish spray straight over a black undercoat. Definately got rid of the boring basecoating stage!

Okay, I'll see if I can pick up either a spray gun or something to do the undercoat. I'm looking to expand my painting anyway, so it's still a useful investment. I'll check out the store after work today.

Think I may follow Grizzly Bear's method, I like the look of your army, though I might do it a little lighter than your dreadnought.

Might even do some battle damage, never done that before so it should be interesting (more research :lol:)

Anyway, I'll post some pics of my progress when i manage to get everything together.

Thanks so much for the help guys. Cheers!

So red spray cans or the GW spray guns can't be bought for love nor money in any of the stores I know. Bugger.

But I did find a large dry brush that I could use first for the base coat and then again for actual dry brushing (the bristles are similar to the base coat brush right?)

I think I'm going to be done with the colour red after the first hour or so ^_^

Archived