Defenders of Baal chapter history

captain Angel

This is a small history on the defenders of Baal. This is a chapter that I have been contemplating. I am trying to get a color scheme. Something where I could prime black and be almost done. I collect true blood angels but this idea is something I enjoy. I would like to collect this chapter just to have my own chapter.

The defenders of Baal were created entirely from the marines that remained on Baal

At the end of the 40th millennium, the Defenders of Baal and the blood angel’s chapter attempted to conquer a besieged and part traitor agriworld. The assault was supposed to begin when the entire first company and supporting headquarters staff was to teleport down onto the planet. The first thing to go wrong is that one of there three battle bardges was damaged before the attack began and had to pull out and missed the assault. than the next thing to go wrong was that the reclusiarch, a sanguinary priest, a librarian, and 2 five man terminator squads were not fit for the assault, and they and there equipment were to teleport down in the second wave. The last thing to go wrong was the worst and almost last thing that happened in there whole history.

There two battle bardges were destroyed by a planetary laser. In one strike it sliced thought there two battle bardges and several support craft. It destroyed almost the entire first; second, third, forth, ninth and tenth companies in one shot. In addition to this, the destruction of these craft killed almost all of the headquarters staff. Only a handful remained. The captain of the fifth company was promoted to chapter master. He decided to attack the defense laser so the remainder of the relief force could land on the planet without danger. He immediately attacked the planet directly with the remainder of the chapter taking the role of either an assault or tactical marine. The entire chapter fought its way thought the bunker that housed the laser. On the thirteenth day, chapter master Cesar destroyed the power grid and ended the threat.

Only 300 battle brothers remained, this included the brothers needed for the crew of various vehicles. They donated 100 marines to the blood angels to rebuild there chapter. They are unable to recover due to the fact that every marine produces only one gene seed

My favorite part of this is that the chapter is nearly destroyed and decides to no longer try to recover, since they have no ability to. Please comment and critique.

Only 300 battle brothers remained, this included the brothers needed for the crew of various vehicles. They donated 100 marines to the blood angels to rebuild there chapter. They are unable to recover due to the fact that every marine produces only one gene seed

Wait Read it again and this confused the hell outta Me. And as for the Battle of Terra I thought everyone went since Terra is Priority Number one So these guys are a Unheard of 2nd? founding that got a total of 3 Battle Barges and did not even fight on Terra? Battle Barges are Rare and not Handed out willie nilly. And why would the successors donate marines to their Parent chapter? after something like that I would Expect a Penitence crusade.

Other than that you should have a bit of a think on the subject then look to the Liber Astartes forum and have them pick holds in it.

i forgot about that fact. they did go to Terra. When the blood angels were killed in the boarding action 600 years before the attack on the sin of damnation space hulk, they gave 100 battle brothers to rebuild the depleted chapter. they were a second founding, but ar not well known because they are a crusade feet. they have the three battle bardges becouse they are a space faring chapter.

And the Flesh tearers were a Space faring Chapter of the Second founding Up until they found Cretacia and yet they got one Battle Barge. One of the Big Problems here is attempting to shoehorn them into a second founding and give them a HUGE amount of stuff they would not really have access to Like the Smurfs who Have I beleive 3 Barges and they are a First founding. And as I suggested Write something up and Post it in the LA forum and be prepared they WILL pick holes in it in a effort to make for good fluff not My chapter are Awsome and Bail out First founding Chapters sort of thing.

alright. this is just an idea. thank you for the input. than a single battle barge and three strike cruses were destroyed. i am not trying to make a better chapter i am just making a chapter that might exist. the input makes it better and more cannon.

I had originally designed this chapter for two reasons. one was to have a very small chapter that was almost destroyed in one fell swoop. the second reason was to use Seth for the chapter master of this chapter(at least my own version of him). I was ot trying to make my chapter better than any established, i just made some mistakes in my fluff. Again thank you all for the input, it makes my chapter more cannon.

Chapter creation can be tough.

If you want ties to the 30k era, I'd recommend reading through Collected Visions to get a better view of the Heresy. One other thing you may consider, since you seem to be going for a tragic end, is killing them off early. If they're all dead by, oh, M34 or so, it would help explain why no one's heard of them.

Hey man reading through this i saw ALOT of feedback.. hope you dont take it the wrong way cuz some people forget to be sensitive "judging" other's work.

IMHO it is a Fabulous start and im a little jealous. Obviously some of the fluff lawyers might disagree but its a Great start

P.S. I dont't know if i missed this answer in the thread but when you reffered to donating 100 marines to the Blood Angels Chapter did you have some kind of Red Fury (The Novel by James Swallow) in mind? Love it

As Whitefireinferno said, you should also post this in Liber Astartes forum, so the guys there would help you shape your fluff.

As for the existing part, it really seems unlikely that the Chapter would receive 3 barges - 1 such ship is a blessing. Also I wouldn't bother with the 2nd Founding - if you stick to this idea you would have to know all BA fluff, the heresy-era BA organization and composition (i.e. how many Chapters, companies and battle-brothers in total remained after the Siege of Terra and the Great Scouring). I also doubt that the BA contingent left to guard Baal during the said events was enough to make up an entire Chapter. Even during the Great Crusade the Chapters were separated between Expedition Fleets, and they conquered lots of worlds and not guarded one - reference to The First Heretic. The Iron Warriors had single squads guarding entire worlds. So why would BA leave at least 5 companies to guard Baal - they could leave auxiliary Imperial Army regiment instead.

Regarding the refilling Chapter's losses. I think that if such thing happens, the Adeptus Mechanicu would aid in breeding new marines, as they do when a new Chapter is created. Although there was one Chapter left for its extinction I am aware of - Celestial Lions, although there were rumors their extinction was 'sanctioned' by Inquisition.

Even if the Chapter is left at minimum strength, they have to recover, should they have the required means. The decision not to recover is blasphemy. It's their sacred duty to return to full strength ASAP. The only excuse is the loss of all Sanguinary Priests, the destruction of Chapter's Priesthood, and no help from AdMech - all in the same time. The Flesh Tearers have nearly 400 battle-brothers, and still they strive to recover and fulfill their duty.

And BTW I want the laser that is capable of destroying 1,5 Battle Barges in one shot. I will be King of the World! :P Seriously though, the battle barge is an enormous ship, which capable of destroying continents with its weapons. Its hull armor is inferior to no other ship. If the PDF forces of an agriworld are equipped with such weaponry, why didn't Terra's defenses wipe out the whole Traitor Legion fleet?

I hope my input helps. Developing DIY chapter fluff is the challenge. It takes you to know almost all the related fluff in order to write something that would fit in 40k universe well enough.

I think there is a bit too much hole-picking here. If the concept is that the Defenders of Baal have three Battle barges at the end of the 40th Millennium, and this is important to you, you should appreciate that this is rare and work creatively to that conclusion. Maybe they were formed from the orbital defense force of Baal, rather than the ground force, and when the second founding divided up the forces the Defenders got the lion's share of the space-ships (a legion would presumably have had many more than the 1-3 that each successor ended up with.) That would be at the expense of something else. BA got all the Landraiders?

Or they started off with one and acquired the others over 10,000 years, through boarding actions, salvage, amalgamation with depleted chapters. Maybe they even build then (is Battle Barge a lost STC or are there shipyards making them?). I am sure you can come up with solutions which combine your own vision with established 40K truth.

Maybe they were formed from the orbital defense force of Baal, rather than the ground force, and when the second founding divided up the forces the Defenders got the lion's share of the space-ships (a legion would presumably have had many more than the 1-3 that each successor ended up with.) That would be at the expense of something else. BA got all the Landraiders? 

I actually like this idea. The Defenders could have been "The Masters of the Fleet" when they were a part of the BA Legion. Or They could be the Chapter specialized in heavy orbital strikes and Exterminatus.

One of the ways to give special flavor to your DIY Chapter is to decide, which units you won't use, and motivate the lack of such units in terms of fluff. Like Brother Chris suggested that they didn't get any Land Raiders, thus remaining true to their initial specialization. 

Or, you may say that The Defenders were some sort of "reserve" or "backup" in times of the Crusade, so they were specialized in maintaining and repairing the spaceships damaged during battles. Thus they had inherited three damaged Battle-Barges... Just a random thought  :D

here are my responces.

I have changed the fluff that the assault on the planet took place 34999, and they are unknown to everyone because they are so few. there were enough to start a chapter with those that stayed behind on Baal and its moons, but not the full 1000, only about 300 to 500, and they built of that. i am referring to some occasion where the blood angels asked for assistance, only to show that my chapter did not care about surviving anymore. they would rather perish as a chapter in combat. officially they are a destroyed chapter. they also can produce only one gene seed each. they also have a flaw in addition to the thirst and rage, and that is that they have extreme difficulty asking for help from other souses outside there chapter. the weapon in question was forged by khorne himself, supposedly, for that reason, to destroy the cowards in orbit. they have only two battle barges. one was lost during the assult, and the other was not taking part due to damages. the reson that the chapter was so much destroyed was that the chapter master had seen many exstrminatus, and hated doing it.

thanks for all the input guys. hope i covered all your comments. here are all the Marines still in action.

1 chapter master, i use Seth. 1 honer guard

3 librarian and 1 librarian dread. 2 honer guard

1 reclusiarch and 1 chaplain

6 sanguinary priests.

5 sanguinary guard 1 squad

4 teach marines

6 assorted dreadnoughts

2 vindicaters

2 whirl winds

2 predators

4 Baal predators

3 storm ravens

3 land raiders

30 veterans

20 tactical marines

60 assault marines

30 death company

6 death company dreads

50 men for piloting rhinos razorback land speeders etc.

there is only terminator armors in there armory usually given to the reclusiarch chief librarian head sanguinary priest, and 10 veterans

also have 25 men aboard these ships

1 battle barge

4 gladious class

1 nova class

2 hunter class

250 men total. most thing done by servitors

this is all the items they have at there disposal. hope this helps. thanks for the comments. it helps a lot.

Archived