2 Questions about rules

Marius Corsican

First one is about Drop Pods. Below is a picture of a typical table my friend and I use. When deploying Drop Pods, they can't land on top of any existing models on the table or impassable terrain and you move them the least distance to end up an inch away. Like if I placed my pod next to the blue bunkers (at the top right) and scattered toward them, I would stop and inch away. What happens if I roll for scatter on a Drop Pod and land in the middle of the jungle or a crater? It's not impassable, so does it land there? And if so, I remember reading somewhere that you roll a die and on the roll of a 1, it's immobilized. Since it already is immoblized, does that mean that you lose the storm bolter?

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy37/dpallante/Storm%20Hawks%203rd%20Company/IMG_4444.jpg

Second question is with Telion. If you take him, one of his special rules is Stealth. Does the whole squad get that, or just him? I can justify getting him if that's the case, but spending another 27 points on the rest of the squad seems a bit much.

Thanks in advance.

First one is about Drop Pods. Below is a picture of a typical table my friend and I use. When deploying Drop Pods, they can't land on top of any existing models on the table or impassable terrain and you move them the least distance to end up an inch away. Like if I placed my pod next to the blue bunkers (at the top right) and scattered toward them, I would stop and inch away. What happens if I roll for scatter on a Drop Pod and land in the middle of the jungle or a crater? It's not impassable, so does it land there? And if so, I remember reading somewhere that you roll a die and on the roll of a 1, it's immobilized. Since it already is immoblized, does that mean that you lose the storm bolter?

You move it the minimum possible distance to be clear of any terrain, if in the unlikely event your smack bang in the middle of terrain discuss it with your oppoent, but id likely place it in the direction in scattered from.

drop pods dont take terrain tests because thier rules prevent them from landing in terrain, so the situation will never arise, but yes your correct it does count as immobilised so if your oppoennt scores an immboilsed result, youll take a weapon destoryed instead

Second question is with Telion. If you take him, one of his special rules is Stealth. Does the whole squad get that, or just him? I can justify getting him if that's the case, but spending another 27 points on the rest of the squad seems a bit much.

Thanks in advance.

the new FAQ has cleared this up, he does indeed give the whole squad the stealth USR

Thanks guys. I thought I read it in the faq but after talking about it with my friend, he caused me some doubt. About the Drop Pod though, it's seriously won't land in any terrain of any kind? That's kind of insane. I thought it was only impassable/dangerous terrain. Or is it that a "Jungle" would be dangerous terrain for a vehicle and difficult for infantry?

You move it the minimum possible distance to be clear of any terrain, if in the unlikely event your smack bang in the middle of terrain discuss it with your oppoent, but id likely place it in the direction in scattered from.

drop pods dont take terrain tests because thier rules prevent them from landing in terrain, so the situation will never arise, but yes your correct it does count as immobilised so if your oppoennt scores an immboilsed result, youll take a weapon destoryed instead

I don't think that's correct GC...as I recall (at work, so forgive not having the codex right here) Inertial Guidance prevents you from landing on a model or impassable terrain. Difficult or dangerous terrain is not exempted. A pod can still land in a forest, but not in a wall or a rock.

As for a taking a dangerous terrain test, that I don't know about it.

To question 1 :

INERTIAL GUIDANCE

Should a Drop Pod scatter on top of impassable terrain or another model (friend or foe!) then reduce the scatter distance by the minimum required in order to avoid the obstacle.

DEEP STRIKE

Models arriving via deep strike treat all difficult terrain as dangerous terrain.

TERRAIN EFFECTS

Roll a D6 for every vehicle that has entered, left or moved through one or more areas of dangerous terrain during its move. A result of 2-6 on the dicemeans that the vehicle can carry on moving. A result of 1 means that the vehicle halts immediately and suffers an Immobilised damage result, so if it was attempting to enter difficult terrain it stops just outside.

So yes you can scatter into difficult terrain, and yes an on a roll of 1 the immobilized result would become a weapon destroyed result.

To question 2 : The FAQ covers Telion's Stealth effect on squads.

Its true, drop pods do not avoid difficult or dangerous terain, and as such if you roll poorly they will take an imobilized result, as they start with an imobilized result already, that becomes a weapon destroyed result.

Aditionaly, drop pods do not avoid the table edges, and can mishap if they scatter of the side.

There is also a third case that drop pods do not avoid, but its a dick move and I am not going to list it.

edit

Not trying to jack the thread but I have a question bout telion as well, can you allocate both wounds (if both shots wound) on the same model even if its a mixed unit?

yes and no. Telions rule gives you controll of the allocation of his wounds, but it does not allow you to break normal allocation rules in any other way. So to put both wounds on the same model, all other models in the unit must already have at lest one wound on them.

Example, you shoot at a 10 man squad and score 5 wounds, 2 are from telion, you cannot put both of those wounds on the powerfist, as normal alocation rules does not allow you to put a second wound on anyone if there are still models without a wound on them. If you scored 11 wounds however, then you could, as there are enouph wounds for everyone to have one, and then one left over to be a second wound.

Ah i see i thought the pod avoided dangerus terrain.. not just impassable.. mea culpa

Not trying to jack the thread but I have a question bout telion as well, can you allocate both wounds (if both shots wound) on the same model even if its a mixed unit?

telion still has to obey normal wound allocation, so no stacking two wounds on one guy. Its unclear what order wounds are placed on the enemy unit, whether Telions wounds are placed or the rest are placed.. but since thr ule is desinged to allow you to kill unit leaders and whatnot its usually safe to assume Telions go first.. otherwise a savvy opponent will stack AP- wounds on important models and leave you to rend a chump nobody

dswanick tells the truth, Drop Pods cannot avoid terrain unless its impassable, and Telion confers Stealth to the entire unit. Remember, Drop Pods can still scatter off table, and if Telion dies the enter unit uses Stealth.

@EmbattledSoul: I believe you should be able to, provided that every other model in the unit has taken a wound. So for example, character in a unit of 5, you cause 7 wounds, including two from Telion. You can allocate both his wounds to the character because the other 5 will go to the other guys. If you only caused 6 you won't be able to do, as all the models in the unit need to have a wound before you start doubling up.

telion still has to obey normal wound allocation, so no stacking two wounds on one guy. Its unclear what order wounds are placed on the enemy unit, whether Telions wounds are placed or the rest are placed.. but since thr ule is desinged to allow you to kill unit leaders and whatnot its usually safe to assume Telions go first.. otherwise a savvy opponent will stack AP- wounds on important models and leave you to rend a chump nobody

Well the rule simply says the controlling player allocates instead of the victems.

The way I would play it is the victim alocates all non telion wounds first, then telion allocates his wounds, with the option of displacing any non telion wound, the victim may then reallocate the displaced wound, also with the option of displacing a non telion wound. This gives complete controll of the apropriate alocations to each player.

Telion's wound allocation is a question of "who allocates first?" There is no rulebook precedent for the resulting argument. If you allocate both of Telion's wounds first, you must select two different targets by the rules of wound allocation. If you allocate Telion's wounds second, the opponent can put easier saves on the important models, thereby denying the wounds from Telion being allocated there. It's kind of a Catch-22.

Honestly, I'd be happy with allocationg my two wounds to separate targets first so I get my choice, as opposed to letting the opponent choose.

Rai is rules are inadequate? Yeah probably, but even so it means you can atleast allocate one to a leader each turn. With a decent sized squad of scouts it would really punish a unit of warriors with a prime (I think they come in 4's)

Warrior squads are 3-9, and a Prime added on makes it 4-10. 4-6 is probably seen the most as it is effective yet easy to move. But in a big unit with 10 models, you'll be hard pressed to get both of Telion's wounds on the same chap.

There is also a third case that drop pods do not avoid, but its a dick move and I am not going to list it.

Could someone elaborate please?

I know Ive targeted units and terrain with incoming drop pods before simply because it causes serious mayhem.

its not in the SM FAQ but it is in the 40k FAQ 1.2

Q: If only some of the models in a unit have the Stealth

special rule, does the whole unit benefit from the +1 cover

save? (p76)

A: Yes. In effect the ones with the Stealth special rule

ensure their colleagues also find good places to hide.

And since you can only reduce scatter, if you roll a hit or dont scatter far enough you misshap.

In point of fact, its rather dubious that you can even 'target' a unit like that.

I would say it's less than dubious - it's illegal.

In the MISSION SPECIAL RULES section of the BRB, Pg.94-95 Deep Strike is definied as a method of deploying Reserves to the table top. The Rolling for reserves sub-section defines this as happening "At the start of each of his Movement phases...". On Pg.11 of the BRB, under the MODELS IN THE WAY sub-section of The Movement Phase is the prohibition "...a model may not move within 1" of an enemy model unless assaulting."

So, by this, I conclude that in order to "place one model from the unit anywhere on the table, in the position you would like the unit to arrive," is movement as it happens as the first step of Deep Striking which is a Movement action you are bound by the prohibition to not place the model within 1" of an enemy. Thus, you can not target the Drop Pod on an enemy model and if you scatter closer the Inertial Guidance rule will reduce the scatter by the amount needed to maintain the 1" distance.

Agree with the above post :cuss

You have to legally place the unit coming from reserve (the drop pod). Thus you cannot target a unit.

And landing pods in difficult terrain is fine, you might take out the storm bolter (never tried deathwind), but generally when my drop pods shoot they rarely do any damage (when I remember to shoot that is).

One game I blew up a chimera, so we placed a crater. then one of my drop pods game right down inside the crater, looked cool B)

Archived