2 Questions about rules

Marius Corsican

And since you can only reduce scatter, if you roll a hit or dont scatter far enough you misshap.

In point of fact, its rather dubious that you can even 'target' a unit like that.

I would say it's less than dubious - it's illegal.

In the MISSION SPECIAL RULES section of the BRB, Pg.94-95 Deep Strike is definied as a method of deploying Reserves to the table top. The Rolling for reserves sub-section defines this as happening "At the start of each of his Movement phases...". On Pg.11 of the BRB, under the MODELS IN THE WAY sub-section of The Movement Phase is the prohibition "...a model may not move within 1" of an enemy model unless assaulting."

So, by this, I conclude that in order to "place one model from the unit anywhere on the table, in the position you would like the unit to arrive," is movement as it happens as the first step of Deep Striking which is a Movement action you are bound by the prohibition to not place the model within 1" of an enemy. Thus, you can not target the Drop Pod on an enemy model and if you scatter closer the Inertial Guidance rule will reduce the scatter by the amount needed to maintain the 1" distance.

And I would agree with you...

Except for the Mawloc showing a rather solid precedent.

And since you can only reduce scatter, if you roll a hit or dont scatter far enough you misshap.

In point of fact, its rather dubious that you can even 'target' a unit like that.

I would say it's less than dubious - it's illegal.

In the MISSION SPECIAL RULES section of the BRB, Pg.94-95 Deep Strike is definied as a method of deploying Reserves to the table top. The Rolling for reserves sub-section defines this as happening "At the start of each of his Movement phases...". On Pg.11 of the BRB, under the MODELS IN THE WAY sub-section of The Movement Phase is the prohibition "...a model may not move within 1" of an enemy model unless assaulting."

So, by this, I conclude that in order to "place one model from the unit anywhere on the table, in the position you would like the unit to arrive," is movement as it happens as the first step of Deep Striking which is a Movement action you are bound by the prohibition to not place the model within 1" of an enemy. Thus, you can not target the Drop Pod on an enemy model and if you scatter closer the Inertial Guidance rule will reduce the scatter by the amount needed to maintain the 1" distance.

And I would agree with you...

Except for the Mawloc showing a rather solid precedent.

Codex:DA sets a precedent for vehicles to score (even if it is due to out of date rules...), just because it applies in one instance isn't the same as it applying everywhere. IMO they should have written the Mawloc like the hades breaching drill... as that is written in such a way it avoids the whole deepstriking into stuff issue.

I am of the opinion that you can target your deapstrike onto models/impassible terrain, its just that if you do not scatter off of it/them, you will automaticly misshap (with the exception of mawlocs, which are subpar anyway, and I beleive monoliths). As has been said before, drop pods can only reduce scatter, so if scater reduction cannot avoid the issue then the issue is not avoided and you misshap.

From what Ive read today I have to agree that I was wrong, I however do not believe that deep striking followes the movement rules as they (deep striking) have their own rules set. I do however also agree with Frosty in that drop-podding at an enemy unit is not necessarily illegal since the pod just automatically moves 1 inch away from the enemy unit as dictated in the...Hmmm...

Well whilst looking for the quote from the necessry rulebooks I seem to have discovered the error of my ways. I stand entirely corrected and aplogize. Drop podding cannot be done onto an enemy unit as the deep strike rules specifically state to place a model from the unit (in this case a drop pod) on the tabvle. Well you cant place a pod on top of an enemy unit. Its just not happening. My bad.

From what Ive read today I have to agree that I was wrong, I however do not believe that deep striking followes the movement rules as they (deep striking) have their own rules set. I do however also agree with Frosty in that drop-podding at an enemy unit is not necessarily illegal since the pod just automatically moves 1 inch away from the enemy unit as dictated in the...Hmmm...

Well whilst looking for the quote from the necessry rulebooks I seem to have discovered the error of my ways. I stand entirely corrected and aplogize. Drop podding cannot be done onto an enemy unit as the deep strike rules specifically state to place a model from the unit (in this case a drop pod) on the tabvle. Well you cant place a pod on top of an enemy unit. Its just not happening. My bad.

As a note, it does not automaticly move 1 inch away from the enemy unit, it can only reduce scatter, not increse it.

Archived