Ravenguard2010 Painting Challenge Entry

ravenguard2010

Hi guys, I've got some really rough pictures of the progress on my Challenge for this year. I decided to submit a Veteran Vanguard Squad and a Librarian, and even though I know that the Vets are rubbish in return for their points cost I couldn't resist modelling some RG Veterans!

These guys are the real backbone of the Shadow Company, and they've survived hundreds of battles. Their armour conversions reflects the fact that over time their armour has been personalised, and even damaged in many places on their current mission!I've only made 4 of the 5 veterans so far, but each of them sports a decent level of conversion and extra detail. I've used microbeads on a few of them to save splashing out too much on the FW parts, greenstuff in a few places, and the usual extras like drilling out bolt pistol barrels etc.

Librarian Absalom is my particular favourite so far, and he's a re-work of a model I started making last summer which I decided didn't quite make the grade as it was lately. I used the open hand from the Missile launcher parts, but cut off the thumb and made a greenstuff one on the other side. That still needs cleaning up, but the basic idea is there now. I need to figure out how best to get some wires on the go for the psychic-hood too.. The staff is a reappropriated Chaos Sorceror staff, so thats one in the eye for Chaos!

They all need a good final clean up before painting, but I'm pretty happy with the progress so far.

Librarian Absalom

gallery_55821_5076_10404.jpg

Next up it's the Vets, in no particular order:

gallery_55821_5076_7968.jpg

gallery_55821_5076_24564.jpg

gallery_55821_5076_62327.jpg

gallery_55821_5076_4608.jpg

Hope you like them, and I'll get some final assembly pics up before they get an undercoat soon.

Rob

Very nice, but I think all the different Jump Packs may look a little odd in one unit?

Although I don't know how they look in a group, it's just a mere crititism.

Cheers man. It's kind of the look I'm going for there really mate, I see them as having weathered enough battles to know which equipment they've developed a preference for. Also it's just a way of showing veteran status in that they have access to choice equipment too. Hopefully the paint scheme will tie them together as a unit.

Looking goooood!

Really diggin the poses and feel of these.

Please promise you will paint an eye on the librarian's hand!! haha!

That would be tempting! I'm probably going to see about painting it to seem like he's using a psychic power though for sure, perhaps a luminescent blue sort of colour. I'm going to find a good tutorial if i can...

They look really cool. The one thing that is kinda wrong tough is the size of one of the LCs. The last pic in the first post, his LC looks way bigger then the one above him. Not the actual claws, but rather the hand/fist. Might just be the pic, but it is reallt bugging me actually :(

- Nat

They look really cool. The one thing that is kinda wrong tough is the size of one of the LCs. The last pic in the first post, his LC looks way bigger then the one above him. Not the actual claws, but rather the hand/fist. Might just be the pic, but it is reallt bugging me actually :(

- Nat

I think it's pretty much the perspective skewing it in the pic mate. It is a fairly large LC, but it's been chopped up and put on a normal tactical marine arm so help it blend into power armour scale, the same as on the sergeant, (the one with the BA jump pack) It looks fine on the actual model really, there's even something powerful looking about how bulky it is too in my opinion.

Thanks for the compliments guys, I'll get more pics up to continue the WIP when there's some paint to photograph...

The jump packs look good.

Do you pin the bases, they're very good?

Cheers, and yep, pins all the way mate. Spent a fair bit of time on these guys pinning the Forgeworld bits too. I hate superglue so I really want to only have to use it once.

For the bases, I cut up bits of old sprue to make a mound and generate height that I'm happy with. Once that dries I pin the model to the top of one of these sprue pieces. My cheap, no frills approach to adding bulk to the base is, wait for it, plastercine. Cheaper than greenstuff, and more easily workable in my opinion. To harden it I give it a couple of coats of PVA once I've worked it around the 'rubble,' and then do another coat to dip it in the sand. I also did one extra watered down PVA layer over the sand to make sure it holds properly. I hate drybrushing and flaking grains of sand off as I go!

• 2 weeks later...

As a descendant of Deliverance, I say kudos on your entire venture. It's rare to see someone who can both model his units well but have the painting skill to do them justice. Oh, and Raven Guard just rule, regardless.

Here's a suggestion: for the Libby, you had said that you wanted to do something fun with him come paint time, so here's my two crowns. Look up an article GW did for their Empire Wizards, I think it was a Masterclass sort of thing. I remember in particular there was a wizard who carried a magical ball with a 'galaxy' shape in it. I think it would be awesome if you could reproduce that effect on the Libby's hand, making it look like his hand is now a swirling vortex of Warp energy.

Thanks for the kind words there brother! I am definately thinking of either further modelling something to look as if he's using a psychic power or painting it as you suggest. I'll have to see if i can find that tutorial as I don't have that issue of WD. I was also contemplateing something with one of those new raven type things the DE have if I could model that appropriately. I might place it above the Librarian somehow as a representation of Smite. Need to see how big they are though to see if I can pull it off.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Just finished Librarian Absalom, so that's one part of the LPC down. I've posted a link to the picture in my gallery below. My vow is nearly complete, and to a standard I hope people would agree is at least tabletop. I'll put a picture of Veteran Vanguard Squad Halcyon up tomorrow, but for now here he is ...

Librarian Absalom

Cheers for looking!

Rob

Archived