the Seventh, A chaos WIP

Alphz

Hello all,

Well it looks like its back to the ways of war once more. I've dusted off the bits boxes, purchased my putty and plasticard and sharpened the knife. Its time to true scale that army! I also finally got a decent camera (woohoo)

The fluff and army composition is still getting fleshed out, but It will come in no time. Given the amount of effort going into each squad, they will have names, backgrounds and hopefully; character. I'm still torn between a pure alpha legion theme and scheme, or going with a more DIY splinter feel and fielding the bright orange of the pyre! But more on that later ^_^

The plan of the army so far can be found The 7th army list

EDIT: See further posts for more recent (and slightly better) pictures.

Currently I'm working on the rest of Aidelon, with a theme of each marine walking purposefully and disposing of enemies. I expect this unit to act like the clean up crew, counterattacking enemy elements that advance through the screening elements.

The true scaling methods are based on Elusive's tutorial posted on this website! It looks mint and I'm getting faster at it, but need to clean up my GS'ing. Any tips on how I can make it cleaner? I have read that adding in some more blue will help give it a harder finish and make filing and sanding more effective. Some scale shots will follow shortly.

Cheers xscottfergox! Yeah I've tried getting a hold of some clayshapers but so far no luck. I've got some finer sandpaper and vaseline since I did these test fellas and so far the sandpaper has helped alot! I also have some 'procreate' grey sculpting putty which apparently is good for sharp detail such as armour!

@Shadow Nugz: Yeah I feel the same! True scale with terminator legs isn't particularly economical when you're doing a full army. I'm trying to improve my photography as well which well hopefully help on the clean front along with some sharper GS skills :P

Finally got a chance to sit down with greenstuff since, well ages! Things seem to have gone quite well and waiting for it to dry before moving on to the next step.

gallery_20295_5684_141913.jpg

For this batch of photogs I decided to include a size comparison to justify to myself that this is all worth it! My camera skills are slowly improving (emphasis on slowly).

gallery_20295_5684_460620.jpg

Some of the squad members with the greenstuff filler stage before I sculpt their bellies and belts. I appear to have cut these out yonks ago when I first begun this project before leaving to the wayside for awhile and as a result lost those little tinsy pieces. Thus, out comes the GS and its a good chance to 'warm' up before more advanced sculpting.

I also sort of like how I can shape the chest to give them slightly more 'puffy' chests which is kinda cool but I need to be careful its not too exaggerated...

gallery_20295_5684_43809.jpg

This guys is looking pretty damn fine in his heresy mark armour I must say!

gallery_20295_5684_536732.jpg

I was initially torn about how I was going to represent icons of chaos glory in my army. It was a toss up between a more techy look with advanced comm and scanner equipment or the classic banner. I finally settled on banners as if I can get it to reach critical mass it will look totally awesome and they are an excellent entry into doing some freehand painting (uh oh).

Hope you enjoy, hopefully the sculpting of belts and stomach armour goes well and another update of the squad nearing completion will be forthcoming.

C & C is welcome as always.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I know its bin a little while since my last update, but I have been hard at work I promise!

So far done is Squad Aidelon but without their charasmatic leader Ajax Aiolos, they're also waiting for the extra casts of little accessories that no chaos marine should leave home without: bolt pistols, close combat weapons, grenades and pouches!

gallery_20295_5684_100414.jpg

gallery_20295_5684_79759.jpg

gallery_20295_5684_88689.jpg

Next up I quickly got some havoks standing experimenting with a shortcut on the truescale process. It didnt really work and so I'm going back to the sculpting of the belt areas as it looks better and gives a more personal touch.

gallery_20295_5684_36868.jpg

His knee ain't looking to great but these guys need a lot more green on them. Motivation pending.

The armoured support is coming along nice though, all cleaned of paint they going to be getting some extra armour, smoke laucnhers and weapons soon.

gallery_20295_5684_127181.jpg

And a few teasers of whats coming up...

gallery_20295_5684_49747.jpg

gallery_20295_5684_127700.jpg

Archived