Imperial Fist Marine

sioka

Hello all, this is a little project that I painted and scratch built a base for. One of my mates has recently bought a copy of Space Crusade and after my comission to paint a Dread from the same game I was itching to get my hands on one of the Marines ( this was the first G.W game that I ever had ;) ). As everyone talks about yellow being a total pain in the rear to paint I talked my friend in to letting me paint the marine as a battle brother of the Imperial Fists also sticking to my dislike of transfers all markings are freehand. As I probably said on my last Crusade thread the sculpting on these models realy shows its age with lots of uneven lines and pleanty of dead spaces... if you ever think some of the current G.W sculpts/casts are a bit sketchy in places pick some of these old figures ( 1990) up and you will be straight back to loving the modern alternative ;). In general I am quite happy with my results, as usual there are bits that I would do diferently if working through and doing another but after all its all about practise.

gallery_58523_5626_836389.jpg

gallery_58523_5626_150821.jpg

gallery_58523_5626_470014.jpg

gallery_58523_5626_159977.jpg

And to finnish a little close up of the main bit of freehand

gallery_58523_5626_6481.jpg

As I am putting this up I have noticed that this shot was taken during WIP prior to adding the weathering efects, oh well you get the idea anyhoo :) .

Wow! You really did that old model justice!

That yellow is pretty much the perfect balance between the eye-searing yellows and the almost brown yellows you usually see.

Free handing is excellent also, but I noticed you said you added weathering? Any chance of pictures?

Wow! You really did that old model justice!

That yellow is pretty much the perfect balance between the eye-searing yellows and the almost brown yellows you usually see.

Free handing is excellent also, but I noticed you said you added weathering? Any chance of pictures?

Thanks Shadow, the yellow I used was worked up from Iyanden as it has good coverage and is less retina scorching than the vomit brown with yellow ink washes that I find looks a bit odd. I wish the blended highlights showed up better but such is life :D seems yellow is easier to paint than photograph! When I say weathering it is used as a general term for any distresing applied to the figure after the 'clean' paint job with shadow and highlights is achieved in this case it is just scratches that have had a highlight to the bottom and a shade on the top. My reason for just using the paint chipping on this mini is that due to him being part of a ship to ship boarding party he is less likely to see mud/dusty enviroments.

Archived