How many Weapon Destroyed results to stop a Hyrda Flak Tank?

ShinyRhino

As the subject says, how many Weapon Destroyed results does it take to disarm a Hydra Flak Tank? We've got an IG player here who says it takes two to remove the main gun, because it's "a pair of autocannons". Of course, he's also trying to claim that since he buys his LRBT sponsons as a pair, they fire as a pair when moving 6"...

As the subject says, how many Weapon Destroyed results does it take to disarm a Hydra Flak Tank? We've got an IG player here who says it takes two to remove the main gun, because it's "a pair of autocannons". Of course, he's also trying to claim that since he buys his LRBT sponsons as a pair, they fire as a pair when moving 6"...

It is armed with two (twin-linked?) hydra-autocannons... so it counts as two weapons... So if he meant it had two he is right... if he meant each one counts as 2 (and so would take 4 weapon destroyed results) he is wrong. So two weapon destroyed results will destroy all the auto-cannons.

Indeed, firing one autocannon only as per the normal rules. I hope he's not trying to have his Hydra cake and eat it!

It would take 3 weapon destroyed to stop a Hydra from firing completely; 2 twin-linked autocannons and 1 hull mounted weapon. His ideas on the Leman Russ shouldn't even be dignified with an answer :sweat:

aye, sponson weapons, while they may be bought as a pair, are still treated as 2 individual weapons for shooting them.

I thought that Leman Russ were lumbering, letting them move 6 and fire everything anyway...

No its move 6" and firethe turret weapon. Which is very different.

I always get mixed up. Is it the Leman Russ or the Hydra with two seperate weapons? One is a Heavy 4 Twinlinked Autocannon and the other is 2 twinlinked autocannons.

No its move 6" and firethe turret weapon. Which is very different.

I always get mixed up. Is it the Leman Russ or the Hydra with two seperate weapons? One is a Heavy 4 Twinlinked Autocannon and the other is 2 twinlinked autocannons.

It can move 6" and fire the turret gun in addition to any normally fired weapon (so, kinda like PotMS, just weaker).

The Russ Exterminator has the TL Heavy 4 one, the Hydra has 2 TL extended range Autocannons.

The Exterminator turret is Heavy 4, twin-linked. The Hydra is a pair of Long Barreled, Twin-linked Autocannons (each Heavy 2).

So, it would take three Weapon Destroyed results to nerf a naked Hydra. It would take two to six for a Leman Russ, depending on outfitting.

Of course, he's also trying to claim that since he buys his LRBT sponsons as a pair, they fire as a pair when moving 6"...
Smack him. Each weapon is each weapon, unless he'd like all the marine players' predators (and las/plas razorbacks) to have the same advantage...

[edit] Ninja'd!

I gave him several ludicrous options to choose from for his "sponsons are a pair!" argument:

Land Raiders moving 6" and firing both twin-linked lascannon sponsons, PLUS the Machine Spitired twin heavy bolters at him, at separate targets.

Land Raiders moving 12" and firing both twin-linked lascannons at him.

A Blood Angels Predator moving 12" and firing both flamestorm cannon sponsons at him, or 6" and firing everything due to being Fast.

And then the naughiness of a Stormraven moving and firing everything it has.

He still wants a rulebook quote defining sponsons as separate weapons.

He still wants a rulebook quote defining sponsons as separate weapons.

Actually, it's on him to show you the rule that allows him to fire two weapons as one or that defines two weapons as a single weapon. Just out of curiosity - does he use them as two seperate weapons or as a single twin-linked weapon?

Does the group you play in count the sponsons as the same weapon for the purposes of weapon destroyed results?

This is no different. Nor is it any different than purchasing the LC+TLPG for a stronos- wich has been FAQd.

I just pointed out that the IG codex states you purchase "a pair of sponsons...". A pair is inherenty a collection of two individual items.

I think he's just looking for Easter eggs. He likes to do that, like when he tried to convince us all he could order IG squads to FRSRF while in close combat. <_<

I just pointed out that the IG codex states you purchase "a pair of sponsons...". A pair is inherenty a collection of two individual items.

I think he's just looking for Easter eggs. He likes to do that, like when he tried to convince us all he could order IG squads to FRSRF while in close combat. :P

I dont see why you couldnt, it wouldnt do anything though, as FRFSRF lets you fir an extra shot with your lasguns (and only your lasguns), as you cant make shooting attacks while in CC, theres not a lot that extra shot could be used for, let him waste is order and risk messed uped comunication on pointless rolls.

His flawed thinking at the time (which we promptly corrected) was that FRFSRF says "immediately fires". He attempted to use the Codex>Rulebook argument to allow himself to shoot out of the close combat, but we explained that Codex>Rulebook was only for specific rules, and did not allow you to break the basic tenets of the game, unless explicitly stated as such.

He's getting the rules hammered down pretty well, as he's a newer player.

Archived