[DH] Dornian Hersey Experiment

HellChyld

okay being a long time night lords player as well as playing the loyalist aegyptus astartes marines way back I've been stuck unmotivated till I found Honda's wonderful thread working up the diffrent legions. after reading over the diffrent IA's that have been published i think doing 1 or 2 squads from the dorian hersey might be just what I need to get motivated again. only problem I'm having is I cant decide which of the legions I wanna do. thats where you my brothers come in. I give you till the 4th of feb to pipe in and tell me which legion(s) you think I should do any why. on the 4th we'll tally up the responses and the top 3 projects i will focus on to see if i cant get over this motivational void i've been in for over the last year. i'm intersted in characters, combat squads and full squads. not interested in any vehicles or dreads as i plan on building all models from the supplies i had build up over the last 20 years so this should be interesting. thanks for your asistance in advance

+edit- i added in what people have suggested so far. +

Current suggestion totals 02022011

1 Dark Angels

1 Emperors Children

2 Iron Warriors

2 White Scars

1 Space Wolves

3 Imperial Fists/Black Legion/Scions of Dorn/Crimson Fists

2 Night Lords

2 Blood Angels

3 Iron Hands

3 World Eaters

4 Ultramarines

1 Death Guard

4 Thousand Sons

2 Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus/Black Templars

1 Word Bearers

1 Salamanders

1 Raven Guard

3 Alpha Legion

depending on how the totals are going on the 2nd I'll start planning ideas for the legions with the most support so far.

a couple ideas have already cropped into mind so your suggestions have atleast focused my mind in this prospect. also Barret has decided to join me in this endevor and will be doing Iron Hands. our thanks so far

updated the totals again as of 6pm on the 2nd. from those in the lead currently I have several ideas started to form in mind. hope to see acouple more people pipe in for there favorites and remember just because a legion doesnt have a IA yet doesnt mean I cant go pick rex's brain on the subject. thanks again

I personally am doing a DH World Eaters army cause I like their new fluff. But my other choices would be Iron Warriors, Scions of Dorn (With a Yellow and Black scheme), Night Lords and Ultramarines. Roughly in that order.

It kind of depends how well you can convert, cause if you're not that great with sculpting then I wouldn't suggest DH Ultramarines cause their Armor is so different from normal PA.

Scions of Dorn would be easy, just paint Chaos Space marines Yellow with Black trim and slam the normal Imperial Fists decals on them.

Night Lords would require some conversion, but their conversion kits would give a good basis.

Iron Warriors would just need you to paint good hazard stripes, and you can throw some Mk III PA in for good measure.

The DH Iron Hands are clearly superior. Why even consider alternatives?

*snort* Whatever. DH Alpha Legion, all the way. The conversions and painting challenge alone would be awesome. Plus, there's something about waging an insurgency for 10,000 years, in the Emperor's name, in freakin' Ultramar of all places, that warms my heart.

EDIT: And such a force would have little to no vehicles whatsoever, so this would fit your 'build parameters' very well.

Yeah I cast my vote for DH Alpha Legion. Masters of deceit and subterfuge, plus you get to model dead Ultramarines and what not, I'm glad to see that any day.

And as above, you don't need to worry about vehicles too much.

Personally I really like the DH Alpha Legion, DH Ultramarines, DH Thousand Sons and the DH Blood Angels.

I waver between these, but I think I might go with DH Blood Angels, their art and imagery as the sickly vampire marines is way better than the non-DH BAs.

I'm working on World Eaters, Iron Warriors (Shadowsword!) and Emperor's Children, with Thousand Sons and Word Bearers after that... a little loyalist crusade force! Because I might not get round to them myself any time soon, I would like to see some of the Traitors. Honda is working on the IH and UM, but how about the blingy White Scars, or the mix and match Space Wolves? Ooh! Or the Raven Guard? The Blood Angels - Nurgley Nosferatu!

Aargh! I like them all - it's like being asked which of your kids you like best!

Hehe, whichever one you choose, you could always say they are undercover Alpha Legion! :rolleyes:

ok my 2 cents brother

imperial fists because i always thought done was evil

sons of horus because i love the idea of horus being the good guy plus the chance of a possible conversion

thousand sons just because they kick warp a$$

I self am planning an blood angel nurgle army when my black templars are done.

Thinking about the flesh tearers as warband and the death company of them following khorne because.

They are like blood and rage!!

Hey Nephren, you guys up there having a little winter wonderland full of fun? It's freaking going to snow down here. ;)

If you were going to go loyalist, I think Thousand Sons are going to be rather interesting to model up and since they are the good guys now, you'd probably get to really expand on the Egyptian theme to your hearts content...

My fave of the loyalists, however are the Alpha Legion. From a gaming perspective, I really want to do something different with them (much like the UM and IH) and my current thoughts on their codex is more along the lines of a good guys Lost and the Damned list, i.e. directing IG force structures with elite kill teams. If you dig out your old Demonhunter codex and look at what that force used to be able (because the new one is imminent) to take for inducted guard, that is close to where I see the list heading. So that would allow combinations like AL + Krieg, or AL + Elysians, or AL + IG Codex. I see some fun armies there.

If traitors, that's kind of a tough one. The DH has really put an interesting spin on the bad guys and what I really like about them is how different they are from each other.

So some thoughts on bad guys...

Blood Angels: This chapter really intrigues me as I think there are some incredible modeling and painting opportunities here. The idea of Sanguinius Son's + decay is very attractive.

Raven Guard: These guys also have some huge potential for modeling and come with an automatic nemesis, the Thousand Sons.

So of all the bad guys, these two seem especially attractive and would be very easy to fit into the existing Chaos Codex.

And finally my favorite category, the "Everybody Hates Us" group. For some reason the chapters that everyone hates have a very strong attraction to me and they are where I am spending most of my modeling effort right now.

Iron Hands - This one is kind of easy for me to visualize. Think of a highly mobile (because they teleport) infantry phalanx that can shoot the bejeebers out of lots of stuff, roaming the galaxy in a similar manner as the Relictors grabbing tech from everyone. Tres' cool.

Ultramarines - PA + Tau armory. My initial concept was of scouts with lots of firepower who actually make up a large proportion of the UM forces because they have a fairly strong skimming IFV to help them patrol and engage the opponent with. When the Scouts have nailed down where the enemy command and control centers are, they call in the tacs, termies, and dreads to perform decapitation strikes. Then the Scouts round up the remnants.

So, those would be my votes, based on what you want to do. If you're just going to model one or two figs, do several chapters as others will benefit. That's part of what I want to do. On the other hand, if you think gaming DH is in the future, then like a couple of us down here in Snowland :devil: , we are planning on working up 400-1000 pt forces so we can test the codeci and because the potential gaming opportunities look like a lot of fun.

However, one thing is very clear. Which ever one(s) you pick is a win. They are that fun.

how you liking the snow down there honda? thanks for your input.

after looking at everyones comments I've come to a decision. I'm gonna do two peices for the dornian hersey with the 2nd peice maybe turning into a 500 to 1000 point force I'll put together to go both honda with over in katy. okay now im thinking of doing for the first peice a trio of camo marines in diffrent marks of modified tau marks of armour painted up like the Marines Errant camo theme for the second outer galactic expeditionary force (page 35 of the red warhammer compendium) who in reality are alpha legion insurgants.

and the second peice will be thousand sons. I was thinking either a vanguard squad of 4 or 5 marines or a chaplin or both with the idea of the small force.....

anyway thanks for your imput and i hope to have the thread up soon with how the models are going. thanks to everyone who helped me out.

Archived