Pre-heresy emperor's children 10th company

elfatto

- Wide hilight with a mix of approx. 75% liche purple and 25% GW tentacle pink. Two points here; 1) I eyeball my colour mixes, so numbers are approximate, and 2) GW tentacle pink was discontinued, Vallejo game colour squid pink would be equivalent.

Gack! I was worried this may be the case. So, can you mix Vallejo and GW paints effectively? Would 75% Liche Purple and 25% squid pink actually work, despite differences in the two brands of paint? Or will the whole thing have to be done with Vallejo for those of us not lucky enough to have ancient Pre Heresy color pots? :P

Man, those guys are superb!

The gist of how I did the purple was:

- Prime black

- Basecoat of 2 or 3 thinned down layers of GW liche purple

- Go over joints and grooves in the armour with black

- Wide hilight with a mix of approx. 75% liche purple and 25% GW tentacle pink. Two points here; 1) I eyeball my colour mixes, so numbers are approximate, and 2) GW tentacle pink was discontinued, Vallejo game colour squid pink would be equivalent.

- A hilight with 50% purple and 50% pink inside the first hilight

- Third hilight with 25% purple and 75% pink inside the second hilight layer

- Super narrow hilight with pure pink (this part is a real pain for vehicles)

When I'm less busy I may post up a more detailed tutorial.

Stolen :P . It seems that now i know how my BA successors would be painted.

It would be great if you'll post a more detailed tutorial on both Pink and Gold.

Thanks for the kind words guys, makes all those hours I spent worth while. The vindicator is infact still WIP, it still needs all of the detail work and a final hilight layer, but it's in a done enough state that I didn't mind showing it.

@Koran: I totally agree that my troopers kind of have the identical drone thing going on. I plan on adding a lot more flare and freehand to at least the sternguard models, but I'll have over 50 infantry models in my finished list, so I don't really have the energy or drive to personalize every marine.

The gist of how I did the purple was:

- Prime black

- Basecoat of 2 or 3 thinned down layers of GW liche purple

- Go over joints and grooves in the armour with black

- A hilight with 50% purple and 50% pink inside the first hilight

- Third hilight with 25% purple and 75% pink inside the second hilight layer

- Super narrow hilight with pure pink (this part is a real pain for vehicles)

When I'm less busy I may post up a more detailed tutorial.

I'm currently working on some devastators, hopefully I'll have pics up in the next few days.

Yes, that would be much appreciated! ^_^

So, can you mix Vallejo and GW paints effectively? Would 75% Liche Purple and 25% squid pink actually work, despite differences in the two brands of paint?

Both GW Citadel and Vallejo paints are acrylic and will mix perfectly fine. On that note, so will P3 (Privateer Press) Paints (would that be P2 Paints?).

My question, Jon, is where are the Rhinos?! MOAR TREAD! As for the models in question, love it. I see you've definitely gotten a lot of practice with your Thousand Sons and have really nailed the technique. My only quibble is that shoulder pad trims appear more yellow and less gold because of the lack of sharp contrast between the light and dark. Dunno if that was deliberate.

DV8

Hooray for snow days.

@DV8: The trims are supposed to be straight up yellow, and the rhinos are coming, they're sitting here primed.

Yeah vallejo and GW paints mix perfectly well. The only problem is that I've noticed the pigment in the vallejos tend to settle and seperate out more when watered down on a palette, more so than GW paints, so it needs to be stirred up more frequently to keep the colours consistent.

Archived