Flyers and shooting

Vindicatus

Alright, spurred by a question someone asked in the Ordos Inquisition section, since this is going to bug the hell out of me until I figure it out, and because I don't have access to my Nerd Compendium at home (and the firewall here at work sucks ^_^ ), I propose this scenario :

A Thunderhawk Gunship being menaced by a Land Speeder Tempest, by it constantly coming around behind it and shooting at the 'rear armour'.

After looking over a brief summary a friend gave me of the IAvol.II rules for the Tempest, I couldn't find anything in there to suggest that it has the 'AA' ability.

I know that pintle-mounted weapons count, but what else? What other weapons or abilities (or even a rules update, since I haven't had time to dig) would give the Tempest the ability to shoot at it with straight BS instead of rollin' 6's at negative 12" to range.

Second question : Hits on flyers are resolved where/how, if they're moving as intended with a flyer and not chilling in Hover?

1. The Tempest's weapons are not AA for any reason at all, so no bonuses. When Flyers have AA weapons it specifically states it.

2. Hits are resolved as normal, against the AV facing the shooter.

3. A Tempest could not possibly do that to a Thunderhawk. The Thunderhawk's minimum move is 36". The Tempest's maximum move where it can shoot is 12". Sure, the Tempest can go into flyer mode each turn, but they can't shoot when they do so.

Thanks, Seahawk, I thought something smelled fishy. When I get home I'll take a look at my library and complete the warm fuzzy this gave me.

Been trying to bone up on the flyer rules myself for an up and coming game in the far future, so I figured I better find out for myself and get a clear picture before I have people trying to take pot-shots off at my precious T-hawk.

1. The Tempest's weapons are not AA for any reason at all, so no bonuses. When Flyers have AA weapons it specifically states it.

3. A Tempest could not possibly do that to a Thunderhawk. The Thunderhawk's minimum move is 36". The Tempest's maximum move where it can shoot is 12". Sure, the Tempest can go into flyer mode each turn, but they can't shoot when they do so.

The Tempest is not a Flyer, but a Fast Skimmer. It can not go into "Flyer mode", I believe you meant Flat Out.

Now, the Tempest's TL Missile Launcher is AA-mounted, according to the Imperial Armor Vol. 2 Update from the Forge World website here. AA weapons do allow you to hit on your normal BS, but you still subtract the 12".

Thanks, Seahawk, I thought something smelled fishy. When I get home I'll take a look at my library and complete the warm fuzzy this gave me.

Been trying to bone up on the flyer rules myself for an up and coming game in the far future, so I figured I better find out for myself and get a clear picture before I have people trying to take pot-shots off at my precious T-hawk.

And don't forget the 4+ save.

The Tempest is not a Flyer, but a Fast Skimmer. It can not go into "Flyer mode", I believe you meant Flat Out.

Now, the Tempest's TL Missile Launcher is AA-mounted, according to the Imperial Armor Vol. 2 Update from the Forge World website here. AA weapons do allow you to hit on your normal BS, but you still subtract the 12".

Interesting- the rules for it in Imperial Armor Apocalypse 2 do not give it the AA property, but do give it the ability to 'Thruster burn' wich allows it to move as a flyer instead of shooting. Gets EA too....

So it comes down to wich document your group believes to take precedence. I usually play with the caveat that anything that has a datasheet follows that in apocalypse, but as time goes on this requires a bit of discussion.

@ OP: Either way though, your opponent certainly has no justification to cherry pick the best of both rulessets. He can have the AA weapon, or the ability to chase after you, not both.

Thanks for the research and replies; I agree with that, GreyMage.

Usually I just go with whatever is the latest release and updated information, and if someone shows me otherwise during the game, then I'm all for it.

After talking it over with the fellow over in Ordos Inquisition, he was a little browbeat about the fact that this happened under the assumption that his opponent knew what he was talking about without researching it first to find out just where it said that he could give chase and declare it an AA mount (hell, his opponent was telling him the assault cannon was AA mounted too).

Just another 'goes to show you' moment that better understandings of the rules is necessary for the stuff you take, and to be able to provide information/documentation to back it up!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh are you fething kidding me? O.o I've been bustin' my ass trying to find someone to part buy a whirlwind with me so I can take the turret and make it hyperios, and now I'm halfway through scratchbuilding one, and you tell me the land speeders that I was going to buy but didn't because I needed AA, is actually AA? *boom*

More importantly, can this be represented by a standard Typhoon?

It depends on what book you use. The IA2 update says they're AA (but it can't go fast), and the IA Apoc book says no AA, but can move as a flyer.

Usually you must use the most current rules set for a given unit; in this case it's the IA Apoc rules (no AA, can move as flyer but can't shoot), unless you're willing to let opponents use the old Chaos codex, or Craftworld Eldar codex, etc..

While you can do it with a standard landspeeder typhoon, it's like using a GW drop pod as the FW Lucius drop pod (which is a no-go). It's not the right model, or crew count or anything else.

Archived