"All comers" Tactical Squad

StormchaserKnight

Hi guys.

I've been trying to write a semi-decent list for the past week or so.

I have plenty of flamers, meltas etc, but what I'm struggling with is an "all comers" squad for grabbing objectives.

Personally, I think a standard 10 man squad, mounted in a rhino, armed with a Missile Launcher, a plasma gun, and have the sergeant armed with a power weapon and a melta bomb.

What do you guys think?

Cheers! :devil:

For objective grabbing, i'd take a flamer (its the best choice for taking objectives, killing infantry off them whilst on the go, melta nor plasma can do that) for definate, rhino as an obvious neccessity too.

To top that off either a multi-melta or missile launcher, multi-melta most likely to keep vehicles at arms length!

Makes a good strong and cheap unit, powerfist is an option, but i'd usually just leave the sarge barebones or take a combi-flamer.

Plasmagun and missile launcher is a decent choice, definately a good unit for engaging enemies, but pricier than above. I'd probably not use a power weapon or melta-bomb though, perhaps a combi-melta or flamer instead?

Flamer, combi-flamer, missile launcher, rhino - 215

Dual flamer plus rapid firing bolters will kill pretty much anything with sheer volume of shots. Great against infantry and heavy infantry as it is easy enough to overlap 5+ with each template due to the rhino's mobility.

I like the plasmagun, multimelta, powerfist loadout myself. Good for midfield and holding objectives. It can hurt anything at 24 inches, and anything that gets into 12 inche range is going to get some hurt with rapidfiring bolters, plasmagun, and the extra armor pen of the mutimelta. Plus if they get stuck in melee the powerfist can help out a bit.

I like the plasmagun, multimelta, powerfist loadout myself. Good for midfield and holding objectives. It can hurt anything at 24 inches, and anything that gets into 12 inche range is going to get some hurt with rapidfiring bolters, plasmagun, and the extra armor pen of the mutimelta. Plus if they get stuck in melee the powerfist can help out a bit.

Ooh, I like that idea. "I dare you to try and take this objective." Nice :D

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

My favourite is also similar to JK's variant. Mine runs as combi-flamer, flamer, multi-melta, Rhino. Comes in at 215pts, and I run two of them in my 1500pts. My squad's can fire their multi-meltas out of the top hatch, and they have two flamer shots in one turn to take out infantry. Two flamer shots can do a lot to any infantry squad, and does more when Vulkan is used, which is something I am experimenting with.

The other squad I like is plasma gun, multi-melta, Rhino. Again comes in at 215pts, but it's more reliable against light vehicles, Marines and MCs, and both guns have the same range bands. I hear adding a combi-plasma can be good as well, but at the moment I prefer my flamer templates, which are so much more multi-purpose.

EDIT: I don't like power fists because they are too expensive to be multi-purpose. Your Tactical squad will do badly in combat anyway, and if you run two squads with power fists that's 50pts that could be better spent elsewhere.

Mostly using:

Sergeant w/ PF and combiflamer

10 marines, flamer, MM or LC

Rhino, PMSB, HKM.

Sometimes using:

Sergeant, bolt pistol, chainsword

10 marines, meltagun, ML

Rhino, PMSB, HKM.

Rarely using:

Sergeant, bolt pistol, power weapon

10 marines, plasma gun, plasma pistol

Rhino, PMSB.

Also thinking:

Sergeant, bolt pistol, power weapon

6 marines

Razorback, TLPG, LC

I kind of wonder about a meltagun + plasmacannon, a little more pricey (only by 10 points) I see it more as a heavy infantry killer to take objectives from heavy armoured opponents, whilst retaining reasonable anti-vehicle. Perhaps a combi-flamer to season?

This is somewhat similar to the meltagun, missile launcher build. You can combat squad it if you want, as you have range on the heavy, and your killing power is in the meltagun for taking out tanks. The plasma cannon shifts it's ability to be able to handle tanks at range to just handling infantry, but when you have a meltagun you shouldn't really be taking pot shots at range with a krak missile, and the plasma cannon is much better than a frag missile. Give your Sergeant a combi-meltagun, and I can see these being pretty good, especially in objective games. It's one of the few units I'd consider combat squadding, so I can still blow tanks up with meltas, but I still get the anti-infantry from the plasma cannon. Might be worth considering...

I exclusively use the Meltagun/Plasma Cannon/Pfist build. That is, if I even use tactical squads.

Out of all the combinations I've tried before, this build seems to give me the most bang for my buck, so I've stuck with it.

Rhino, powerfist, plasmagun, missile launcher- this squad is the answer to 90% of the units in the game. If your support units have enough melta- IE, attack bikes, speeders, sterngaurd, dreads, etc- theres no persistent need for the tacs to try to spam 1 shot meltaguns. Instead they can be made good against light vehicles, infantry types of all sorts, and monstrous creatures... giving them a diverse field of targets.

I think the brilliant thing about this thread is that everyone has shown that they have their own preferred Tactical squad that they stand by, showing that Tactical squads can really be flexible and diverse depending on the person who uses them.

Lol, one more log for the fire then.

Combi-flamer, flamer, PC, Rhino, one squad with Powerfist one without.

I get my anti tank from MM-attack bikes, dreads, typhoons, razorbacks, Landraiders, etc. My tac squads kill troops and the PC is too cheap to pass up, if the other army is particulary unfriendy to tac squads they provide deepstrike security by firing the PC from the top hatch of their armored box.

hey guys, thought I'd throw my oar in for added confusion! :)

Recipe for objective grabbing tac squad, serves 1.

Usual target = infantry units <usually> in cover so take flamer and combi flamer. This will sort out infantry.

Problem's encountered = enemy's support units so take something to knock out vehicle. Free missile launcher as good as anything.

Rhino = must have magic ingredient.

215 calories (points)

Season to taste with PF / PW + melta bombs whatever but please note adding extras will alter the calorific value of the squad.

I generally take PC, PG(flamer if points are tight), and maybe a combi flamer, but lately I've been combat squadding, taking a fistysarge on my forward combat squads with flamers subbed for the PGs and attaching an IC(been using dual HQs the last couple games, libby and captain) of some sort in a rhino. Been torn on the fists lately since I rarely get to use them but they have on occasion made spectacular difference. On the one hand the 50 pts I spend on fists could possibly be better spent on an MMAB but they've helped out quite a bit in combat res before, and they do provide a measure of anti MC/walker/armor capability to a squad that otherwise would be helpless vs a high T or AV target.

My reasoning is that as far as impact, the PC is the best 5 pts you can spend in a tac squad, for the points it can potentially kill whole squads out of cover without any other fire support, plus it can put the hurt on any vehicle up to AV 12 fairly well, and the PG supports this role at short/medium range, while the combi flamer or flamer can put the hurt on close targets and really hurt light infantry in cover. I've had bad experiences with single meltaguns so I rarely pack one, instead relying on melta from other sources. The one heavy weapon I've been wanting to try is the MM, but I just don't seem to have any models for them lying around.

I roll out with two currently and one typically outshines the other.

Squad 1:

Combi-Plas, Plasma gun, Plasma cannon in Rhino

Squad 2:

Combi-melta, melta, Power Fist, Multi Melta in Rhino

The Plas squad typically hits much harder whether on the move or stationary. There nothing more satisfying that unloading a plasma cannon template on a combat squad of marines and killing 3 or 4... MMmm-good.

I've actually been grinding my gears over the Tactical Squad since I picked up the 5th Edition Codex. On one hand, it seems perfectly reasonable to equip them up for every possible situation (they are a "Tactical" squad after all, right?) but on the other, they just don't do much well. If you split them into combat squads (assuming a special weapon/sgt in a Razorback and HW plus 4 Bolter Marines split), they can provide their own support but are easily overrun and not particularly effective on their own. As a full ten-man squad, they run around the board instilling fear in the hearts of, well, no one. So what's a Space Marine player to do? My simple solution, don't take as many Tactical Squads. If I want long range fire support in a Troop choice, I take Sniper Scouts (plus ML) with a MoTF and Conversion Beamer. That runs me about the same as a fully armed Tac Squad with a Razorback. If I want the ability to run around the battlefield and deal with pretty much anything that comes at me, I take Sternguard. If I want a counter assault element that can hold an objective, I take a 5-man Scout Squad in a LSS. Now, that doesn't mean I don't run Tactical Squads at all, it just means I run less than would be expected and I try not to run them alone. I like to equip my Tac squads based on what will be supporting them. If I'm running an Assault Squad in a Rhino with 2 flamers and a PF on the Sgt, I run my Tac squad as anti-tank (Rhino, MM, melta gun, combi-melta on the sgt). If I'm running an AC Ven Dread, I typical run MM, plasma gun, PW/PP in a Rhino. If I'm stuck taking a Tac Squad and don't think I'll be able to directly support it, I normally run MM, Plasma Gun, Combi-Melta/PF in a Rhino. Sadly, Tactical Marines just don't pack the punch I feel they should for the points you invest to make them decent. If I had to give general advice on it, I would run them on the cheap (free MM, free flamer, minimal equipment on the sgt, in a Rhino) or designed to fulfill a specific mission during a game (hold mid-field, anti-tank, anti-infantry, or objective grabbing). On a side note, I have had reasonable success Drop Podding Tactical Squads with an HQ or two. It gives me a nice place to throw my HQ choices while maximizing the effectiveness of one of my mandatory Troop selections.

Here's another interesting idea I've been toying with, mutually supportive Tactical Squads. Run one as anti-tank (MM, Melta Gun, Combi-Melta) and the other as anti-infantry (Plasma Cannon/ML, Plasma Gun/Flamer, Combi-Plasma/PF and Combi-Flamer). I haven't tried this out yet, but it might help keep both units alive and kicking for a late game objective rush. It does make me sad that Tactical Squads don't have an option for a Heavy Flamer in their heavy weapon choice, though :D

10x marines, plasma gun, plasma cannon power weapon melta bombs and drop pod. Its elite's like terminators that are going to kill your tac squads so i like to take plasma. plasma can also kill most vehicles. The power weapon is there for dealing with assaults, the melta bombs for walkers and 1 prefer drop pods to rhinos as rhinos just get blown up.

1- missile, flamer, rhino... aka black reach (205 points)

Nothing wrong with the Black Reach squad. 10x Tactical Marines, missile, flamer, ccw/bp on sergeant. Give a rhino and you've got a cheap squad that has a lot of good options. In scoring games you can combat squad the missile into the backfield with the flamer and ccw going forward in the rhino. In kill point games, 10 guys are pretty resilient, especially in a rhino. There are a couple matchups they'll be able to look for close combat, but most times they should look to stay safe and lend support to the real killy units.

2- plasmagun, multimelta, combiplasma, rhino (225 points)

I really like this squad a lot. It only costs 20 points more than the basic tactical squad and can really dish out the shooting pain. Most people aren't expecting the humble tactical squad to roll up and drop 4x AP2 shots onto something. Also, the multimelta and plasmagun both have matching rangebanding. They both have 24" range and get better at 12". I use this squad in the rhino and try to get in a nice midfield position on turn 1 and put a bubble of threat... vehicles are reluctent to enter for fear of the multimelta and infantry knows there is a bunch of plasma and rapid fire bolters waiting. I like to stay in the rhino and fire multimelta/plasmagun each turn, but ironically the best thing that sometimes happens is the rhino gets blown up... and I disembark and get to fire plasma, plasma, multimelta at something.

-Myst

Archived