Making a New Blood Angels Army

Khazorum

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on these forums. I recently started playing 40k and I'm considering converting my Ultramarines into Blood Angels. I don't have a lot of squads but here is what I have so far:

1 Captain (AoBR)

1 Terminator squad (5 man AoBR)

1 Assault Terminator squad (5 man)

1 Dreadnought (AoBR)

2 Tactical Squads (10 each)

1 Scout Squad with Sniper Rifles (5 man)

1 Vindicator

1 Land Raider Redeemer

I know most of these guys are shooty, but I was intrigued by the Blood Angels mobility and close combat capabilities. I was wondering if you could help direct me on what to buy/convert to make a more close combat oriented BA army.

Thanks!

Blood angels are assault orientated, but they can still field as mandy tac squads as an UM army would if they chose to. With that in mind you could go with what you already have, but if not then I'd recommend you make your army a bit more BA themed by picking up one of the specific BA sets. Ideally go for a BA battleforce. That way you can get enough parts to make a 5-man footslogging death company, 5-man assault squad on foot and a 10 man assault squad with JPs (or some combo of that) as well as a rhino for one of your tac squads. A chaplain model to lead the army and a priest or two might be good also, but you can always proxy models if playing with friends to get the feel for the army before you buy/repaint anything.

I would not buy the BA battleforce if I were you. You'd get alot of models that you'd have no use for. Instead I would buy 2 DC boxes and one Baal. Costs about 10£ more, but then you are getting 10 useful models with lots of bits and a useful tank, instead of 10 useful models, 10 useless (not useless, but less useful) models and a Rhino you'd want to cenvert into a Razorback anyway.

Its already been said but I will add mu voice. Your at the point now where you need assault marines and death company.

and if you have DC your going to want a chaplain. If your want to save a buck for now buy Lemartes and if you want to shave points in a game use him as a regular Chaplain. Shouldnt be a problem in a friendly game.

start building up your bits collection with bp and ccw arms and jump packs when ever you can.

in the near future a Sanguinary Guard box is cool too, even if just for the bits.

So would my next step be to buy a DC box, an HQ, and maybe 2 Assault boxes? Also to save money, I was thinking of converting some of my tac marines into assault marines. Unfortunately I don't have any spare bits. Does GW have bolt pistol/chain sword sets for sale?

DC box should cover a lot of what you need in terms of close combat weapons. If that does not quite cover it hit up ebay. You can get a whole squad worth of CC weapons for a few bucks if you watch the shipping and handling costs.

My vote is to grab 1 or 2 DC boxes and a Baal Predator or 2. All or some will flesh your army out nicely. Spread the bits around and you should be able to give everyone a little BA bling. [EDIT] Forgot to 2nd the recommendation to get Lemartes as well. Use him as a Reclusiarch for starters, and then as you get other HQ options, use him as himself. :Troops:

Got to agree with Lemartes I never had any complains about fielding him as a Reclusiarch or Chaplain.

I don't know if you already know this but you need to watch out on what you spend your points on in BA, its easy to get distracted by all our special units but you'll always need a solid core in your army which for most players consists of assault marines with either a Reclusiarch or Librarian.

Personally I would invest in a box DC, they come with quite a few extra bits which you can put on your other models. IIRC you can equip the DC models with a mix of bolters and CC gear to get enough bits to turn 5 normal marines into assault marines. Including the Jump Packs if you don't use them on the DC (note that DC with JP's are very expensive and rarely worth their cost).

I suggest you make a few lists and ask for comments on them in the lists part of the BA forum get a little feedback until you really have something you can work towards.

Keep your tac marines. Mine have never let me down thru several games now. They are highly underrated

I would get the BA battleforce and a drop pod. You get 10 tac marines Which can be turned into various things like sternguard with the cool bits from the DC sprue And/or various characters.

Or DC with bolters. The assault marines and the DC can be combined to be an assault squad. And rhinos are also useful for keeping DC on a leash

Archived