Red Scorpions WIP aka slowly does it.

UpTheIron

This is my first painting attempts since getting back into the hobby after 10-12 years out of it.

Very much works in progress still, but seeing as ive got the whole day to work on them, thought id mark this moment with my first WIP thread.

This is after a weeks on and off work, working around a wife and two kids. Lots of details and parts to add, and no highlighting as of yet, but thats why its a WIP.

C&C welcome and encouraged.

Cheers

WIP%20RS1.JPG

WIP%20RS2.JPG

WIP%20RS3.JPG

WIP%20RS4.JPG

Looking really good there uve got the gray armour and yellow down really good looks spot on . I know its a wip but you might want to tone that white down a little . Its nice to see another red scorpion collector come take alook at my thread there is plenty of red scorpion love there and hopefully some inspiration and helpful tips for you . keep it up cant wait to see more . . Are you just gonna be doing 1500pts worth

Oh where did you get those bases from / slate please they look really nice

Yeah cheers, the white is currently a big fail on my part, not quite as bad as on the photo, but... yeah. i like the idea, but getting it right is currently proving tricky. Going to try experimenting with a matt medium to get it to sit better and hopefully cure the blotchiness. Looking for a blend that looks white, but isnt, if you know what i mean.

Only got a replacement drill yesterday, as the one i bought, the threads were stripped, but that is on my to do list.

Currently have the battleforce box, plus a LS Storm and a Razorback, so with the addition of a HQ i can muster about 750 pts. Theres lots more id like to add, so probably looking at about 1500+ potentially, if i dont get tempted by any allies (RS fluff helps me out on this, their tendency to work alone really will stop me getting distracted).

The bases are Dark Art Miniatures rocky bases, was going to make my own, and still will go that way, but these were perfect, so just splashed out to save time.

Edit: The majority of the colours on them are GW, just very thin, many layers, and some mixes. Ive got the Vallejo box as well, as i liked the idea of getting them all in one go, and theyre lots cheaper than GW with more in them, plus i like the dropper bottles.

For a good white you need to start with a light gray tends to work well give it a go . The red scorpions fluff is good ive been collecting them since they where first mentioned way back several years ago . These bases do look sweet might have to make some myself or buy some of those .

Lokks like you have a good start at an army already then going by what you have . As for HQ no red scorpion army is complete without Carab Culln his new rules are sick :-)

Try a light grey, followed by a few coats of white.

Water the paint down till its about... Well, like milk.

It'll look terrible at first with the grey showing through, but once you get to the last couple of coats you'll love it.

Great marines, tank is especially fancy. ;)

Had a go at my scout squad, took a bit of carving and GS to get the sergeants arm in the right position, and generally the arms on these are pigs anyway (IMO), but not too bad i dont think. Still in need of a decent shade and highlight, especially the top halfs, and the weapons need cleaning up, but thats generally the look of them.

Got the Storm built as well but no paint on it yet.

RS%20Scouts%201.JPG

RS%20Scouts%202.JPG

RS%20Scout%203.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Just a couple more updates, now im back from work i can crack on with these.

Ive decided it will be a scout/ forward operating force, so am planning a few "counts as" conversions, and being Red Scorpions, and untrusting of others, we may have requisitioned a few imperial guard vehicles. :lol:

Heres where i am so far, the Scouts themselves are almost finished, and the assault squad isnt far off. The Storm has a long way to go, as does the Rhino, but ive been trying to get a bit more punch from the yellow, and the pic of the Rhino is more to illustrate that than anything.

Any thoughts?

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

Most of the highlighting done on the yellow and greys now, a lot of detail to complete though.

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

Coming soon, Scout Tauros/Storm kitbash........

also, ill never understand how some of you have the time, patience and skill to churn out mini's like a production line. hats off to you all, this is the best part of 3 weeks effort for me, and i have 10 minis and two vehicles 80% complete.

There is some awesome work here brother u have been busy . I myself am very slow ive got loads of work on the go and no painting done huge to do list and i never seem to finish lol . loving the scouts my only critique would be your models look to clean unless thats the look you want then good show . The yellow coverage is really good how many coats and was i just the foundation lyandan darksun or a different colour

I completely agree, but im thinking of completing the force, then experimenting with some weathering powders et al, and weathering the whole lot together, to keep it consistent. So currently, theyre factory fresh ^_^

The yellow hasnt turned out that bad, i think it needs a further highlight, but im happy. (as i can be, i am, unfortunately, quite a perfectionist, which would be good if i had any inherent talent lol)

Its a base of about three thin coats of iyanden darksun, then the Vallejo Transparent yellow over the top. I find that gives a real vibrant yellow. Then a sepia wash and a sun yellow/glaze mix highlight so far, basically.

Scout requisitioned Tauros. No weathering as of yet, and footplates and crew to complete, but getting there

Whitewall tyres were just for giggles, but i dont think they look too bad.

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

Lovin those white wall tires! Very classy!

Always good to see more Red Scorpions, especially when they are done so well. And it may be a little late but another thing you can do for white is a touch of fortress grey mixed with skull white, it has saved me from lumpy painted marines.

It was just for the sake of it to be honest. Liked the idea of it, and fitted with the fluff of RS.

However, i think i can get away with it as a "counts as" attack bike if using it in games.

It was just for the sake of it to be honest. Liked the idea of it, and fitted with the fluff of RS.

However, i think i can get away with it as a "counts as" attack bike if using it in games.

Perhaps even a landspeeder? Similar size, purpose, and armament.

Archived