Vlka Fenrysa

Mjordin

Having been in the hobby for nigh fifteen years now, and having dabbled with Tyranids and Chaos Marines for a while (in specific, the Word Bearers), I decided it was about time that my attentions turned to the Loyalists.

I've always enjoyed the Salamanders and, in fact, managed to build and paint about 750 points worth (Essentially, Black Reach and a Vindicator) before I lost the spark - pun not intended. In the background, the Space Wolves have always interested me too. I've always been very into norse mythology and having just finished Prospero Burns, decided now was the time.

I now have a 1,000 point army built and several projects in the line.

I've decided that, since I have two large gaming armies, my wolves are to be a slower progress, higher yield force in that most of the models will be converted, painted beyond the usual "tabletop standard" I usually employ, and the army will be themed. I'm even writing sagas for all my Wolf Guard and my Wolf Lord. If he dies, the model will be put into a cabinet, his saga ended, and a Wolf Guard will take over as Wolf Lord.

The start of this project has been just building the battleforce and some long fangs, but I've also nearly finished work on Fenrisian wolves.

If you look in the codex entry, the wolves have a more leon appearance than lupine, though they are of course fully furred with a shaggy mane. In fact, their appearance is not dissimilar to the White Lions from the High Elf White Lion box - fitting that I have a High Elf army too! So, I've liberated the lions from that box, and applied a greenstuff coat all over, scratch sculpting a bushy wolven tail on also.

I hadn't realised either, but the chariot box also comes with some severed lions heads that go onto the shoulders of the riders. These fit snuggly onto a space marine back-pack, much like the fellow on the front of the SW Codex. So that was emplyed also!

I'll try and get some better photos soon, but here's the unpainted (well, drybrushed) Fenrisian wolf, and a few crappy shots of my wolf lord.

Please be aware that the wolf is my first real foray into the world of green stuff.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/5415335791_a2c3002ae4.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5051/5415946588_a0b1583258.jpg

The Wolf Lord was a simple conversion. I took the two-handed axe from the Space Wolves frame, shaved off the left hand, sawed the arm at the shoulder and twisted it into a better position. The wolf head on the backpack is from the White Lion Chariot sprues, stuck down with some greenstuff down the back of the backpack, sculpted into a fur texture, and the bottoms hidden with the storm shield from the Space Wolf sprue.

Dead simple, but it's come out quite effective, I think.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5257/5415948738_b5490b2e6d.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5134/5415948142_5365e59a80.jpg

The colour scheme is a black spray, adeptus battlegrey drybrushing on the plates with highlights of an increasing mix of adeptus battlegrey and shadow grey to pure shadow grey. Flesh is simply dheneb stone with an ogryn flesh wash to give that glacial feel. The red is straight on thin layers of red gore, each successive layer comes further from the edge to give that graduation.

The fur starts as charadon granite, then mixed with scorched brown, then bestial brown is added to the mix for each successive layer until the top is a pure scorched brown/bestial brown mix.

The bases are overbrushed khemri brown, then drybrushed dheneb stone with snow flock and 40k basing kit details added.

The wolf so far has had only a light drybrush of adeptus battlegrey, and the base edge and stones have been painted khemri.

I need a better camera.

The GS work on your wolves looks great but I personally think that without having their heads made to look more wolfish (I know you're trying to make it based off of the pictures) it looks like a Foo dog from chinese mythology.

As far as the Wolf Lord I agree that better pics would let us give you more feedback.

The sculpting of the lion looks great. And who is to say that the lions have not been partially tamed and bread to a higher level of intelligence and cunning? Crossed with the Fenrisian wolf the resultant bread has the characteristics of a Foo Dog or in this case a Foo Lion?

Maybe have a tan/light colour on the face and mane, then blend it into grey on the rear legs. It will look very impressiver on the battle field.

Hopefully I can get some better shots today.

Skoll, the first wolf, has just been finished on the paint station. I went for a drybrush of Adeptus Battlegrey, followed by Charadon Granite / Scorched Brown / Bestial Brown mix drybrushes (started 50:50 CG/SB, slowly decrease the CG and start adding BB) and the face was started at scorched, layered up to bestial.

I'm not a great painter, no way in hell I can do blending yet, but I'm pleased with the result. Getting "Mjordin" on the scroll on his shoulder pad and base (same with Skoll on the base) is something I'm incredibly proud of personally.

Archived