New IF 5th Company

Cold Fire

Hi

Finally managed to find the time to start my Imperial Fists 5th Company.

Started with a 5 man Assault Squad.(pics tomorrow).

I have done 2 coats of Iyanden Darksun and a wash of Sepia.

I want to start on the weapons next but need a bit of advice. What colours should I do the blotters and chainswords, power axe. I was thinking black and silver but not sure. Does anyone have any advice.

Also I want them to be codex compliant and so shouldthe helmets for sergeants be red? If so how does that look? Or should they just have a red skull on a yellow helmet?(think I read that somewhere)

Thanks for advice, I will post what I have done so far in the morning.

We do use red helmets to signify rank. Black casing and red casing on the bolters both look great. I used to go black, though red is starting to grow on me.

Painting a skull on a helmet sounds very Night Lord-y. I think it all depends on personal preference and painting skill. Looking forward to the posted pics.

What colours should I do the blotters and chainswords, power axe. I was thinking black and silver but not sure. Does anyone have any advice.

I went with red for both bolters and chainswords with boltgun metal for the metallics. This was from viewing a piece of artwork by a fan (who now works for GW). In the current codex they have black casings.

I honestly say it is up to you as both look fine.

Also I want them to be codex compliant and so should the helmets for sergeants be red? If so how does that look? Or should they just have a red skull on a yellow helmet?(think I read that somewhere)

For sgts, the helm is yellow with a red skull icon. When you paint veterans they will have yellow helms with a red stripe. *this is from the 2nd edition codex that another IF player informed me of and was kind enough to scan a pic of the article.

Best of luck to you with your Fists. Always good to see another Fifth Company member

Was already posted while I wrote it but if you have the books you can look it up yourself:

Actually the Iron Skull (small red skull on the forehead of the helmet) denotes the Sergeant's rank. Members of the first company (vet sarges and termies) have a red stripe on their helmet (no red helmets). Shoulder pad rim denotes company (normal codex colors). Weapons are black (termies had red and black warning stripes on their fists).

This information is straight out of Codex: Ultramarines p. 44 (2nd Edition)

The 3rd edition SM codex shows the termies and vet sarges with yellow helmets without any markings (stripe and skull are gone), pp. 18, 19, 28.

The Iron Skull and Helmet Stripe came back in the 4th edition codex, pp.76,77.

We do use red helmets to signify rank. Black casing and red casing on the bolters both look great. I used to go black, though red is starting to grow on me.

Painting a skull on a helmet sounds very Night Lord-y. I think it all depends on personal preference and painting skill. Looking forward to the posted pics.

-----edit----

Misread the intention. Yes, tiny skull emblem on the helmet is red.

So finally got around to posting my pics.

I need help though, how do you clean a drybrushing brush. I thought mine was clean until I tried to dry brush one of the bodies and it has turned green as there was dried blue in the core of the brush it would appear.

On these I have done the following - Chaos Black undercoat, 2 coats of Iyanden Darksun, Wash of Gyphon Sepia

I am now going to put a few more coats on starting with Vomit Brown and working up to highlights of bright yellow / white.

I am aware that there are still some mould lines on the models but as these 5 are really just for me to get my "recipe" for yellow correct and practice highlighting. Then I will be getting a tactical squad and putting much more effort into making them look amazing.

Group Shot -

gallery_55098_5730_392595.jpg

Shoulder Pads and Arms -

gallery_55098_5730_119150.jpg

Shots of single model -

gallery_55098_5730_48703.jpg

gallery_55098_5730_183210.jpg

As always C & C is welcome.

Thanks

Archived