What's the odds for blowing up plasma weapons?

Lord Scytha

This might be a bit of an odd question and probably not particularly useful...

But have anyone ever calculated how often your plasma weapons will blow up purely statistical during the course of several games.

Let's say you have a tactical squad of space marines with a plasma gun and a plasma cannon. Over ten 6 turn games how many times will the plasma gun blow up and how many times will the plasma cannon blow up?

Same odds. Each time you fire them they have a 1/18 chance to die. You should lose a given plasma guy once every 3 games. If you have more plasma firing, you are going to lose more guys. In the given scenario you have a 1/9 chance to lose one of the two plasma guners... higher than 10% each time you fire, so more than likely you will lose at least one of them during the game.

Just like any probabilities, you could lose them both in the first turn over a few games, or you might not lose them at all in a dozen games. The thing is that 1/6 of the time each guy fires he is going to be forced to take an armor save, and 1/3 of those armor saves are going to kill him. 1/18 every time you fire... the more you fire the more risk you face.

-Myst

Wearing power armour, you have a 1/18 chance of killing yourself. If you have Feel No Pain or artificer armour the odds are 1/36. If for some reason you gave your scout sergeant a plasma pistol (WHY?) you would have a 1/12 chance of killing yourself. Hope this helped.

The average times you shoot with them in a game is... well a highly personal and changeable question. It depends on alot of things- like your forces makeup, what your fighting, how your deployed, your tactical patterns, etc.

No way to give a blanket answer to that question- observe yourself, and report.

This might be a bit of an odd question and probably not particularly useful...

But have anyone ever calculated how often your plasma weapons will blow up purely statistical during the course of several games.

Let's say you have a tactical squad of space marines with a plasma gun and a plasma cannon. Over ten 6 turn games how many times will the plasma gun blow up and how many times will the plasma cannon blow up?

You have a 1/18 chance per shot you fire to blow yourself up with a 3+ save. So, assuming you fired your plasma cannon every turn for an average of 6 turns per game, you would have about a 70% chance each game of surviving. A plasma gunner which double-taps each turn for 6 turns will survive an average of 50% of the time.

However, neither of those situations are likely to happen in a game. It really depends on how often you actually fire. At any given moment you fire a single shot of a plasma weapon, you have about a 94% chance to survive. If you double tap, you have about an 89% chance to survive. Those are probably more useful statistics for actual game play, where you aren't normally looking to see if a single plasma gunner will survive 6 turns from now.

If you are into plasma, but afraid of over heating, go for it. The only model I ever regret arming with a plasma weapon is my plasma pistol/chainsword sergeant. And I usually still thank the gods whenever I play terminators. I like plasma because it can fry most monstrous creatures pretty easily, the same model has a good chance of dying if I get assaulted by a hive tyrant, so why not take the chance?

16.6% of your rolls will statistically result in gets hot over the course of your game.

Just like any probabilities, you could lose them both in the first turn over a few games, or you might not lose them at all in a dozen games. The thing is that 1/6 of the time each guy fires he is going to be forced to take an armor save.

^--- This.

Archived