Blood Angels Rhinos

Ekgar_Wolf

Hi there.

Just painted these for fun, having a break between commission jobs.

Hope you like them.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6320/mortisprueba.jpg

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/694/justusprueba2copia.jpg

Two brothers:

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/710/juntose.jpg

These are beautifully painted, but I think if anything it's overly detailed.

The weathering is great, but there's so much of it it becomes what the model is about Now, it's more weathered than it is Blood Angel-y. Don't get my wrong, this is 10998927389 times better than anything I could ever accomplish (ever) but the weathering has just oblitereated the rest of the model IMO.

Also, what's with the markings like skulls and wings not being weathered? I guess the Marines or Tech-Guys would re-paint the markings efter every battle but surely they would clean the rest fo the vehicle too?

Don't want to sound negative, but for some reason I find it easier to critisize skilled painters. :S

These are beautifully painted, but I think if anything it's overly detailed.

The weathering is great, but there's so much of it it becomes what the model is about Now, it's more weathered than it is Blood Angel-y. Don't get my wrong, this is 10998927389 times better than anything I could ever accomplish (ever) but the weathering has just oblitereated the rest of the model IMO.

Also, what's with the markings like skulls and wings not being weathered? I guess the Marines or Tech-Guys would re-paint the markings efter every battle but surely they would clean the rest fo the vehicle too?

Don't want to sound negative, but for some reason I find it easier to critisize skilled painters. :S

Well, I like every 40k army being battle weathered, maybe Eldars not, but every other army I see them with dust, mud, battle damages and so on.

The wings not being weathered is not a Tech-Guy´s fault...it´s a way to contrast all that weather and a way to let it be better seen as they are now on ebay.. :lol:

Well it's kinda funny, the things Princemigi said were the first things that came to mind for me.

The Rhino looks beautiful, the weathering on the tank looks great but you should also weather the chapter markings down else it looks a bit strange.

None the less, great stuff!!

Same there: nothing I could not solve in 10 mins, but I thought they would sell better if the airbrush markings are better seen.. ;)

If these are just painted for fun I'd hate to see your painting when it gets serious :P Absolutely gorgeous, love your take on the BA look, very realistic, and the lighting effect rocks. Kind of get what the above posters are saying but the weathering on the symbols is a tiny thing compared to the overall sweetness of these models. Nice work and please paint some more stuff for fun!

The chapter markings bothered me as well, but I wasn't sure why until the previous posters pointed out the weathering issue.

I personally find the "glowy bits" a little too strong.

Other than that, they're gorgeous. Too bad they're not gray...

The source lighting is too strong on the areas you've put it, also there's no light hitting any other part of the rhino except that line.

I've quickly photoshopped what it should look like :)

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg246/Dezartfox/models2/rhi.png

Very good weathering, everything else is spot on apart from what other have said about weathering the symbols :)

Keep it up!

If these are just painted for fun I'd hate to see your painting when it gets serious :P Absolutely gorgeous, love your take on the BA look, very realistic, and the lighting effect rocks. Kind of get what the above posters are saying but the weathering on the symbols is a tiny thing compared to the overall sweetness of these models. Nice work and please paint some more stuff for fun!

Thanks a lot ¡¡ Thats what I will do: I think Im gonna stop taking commission jobs and paint whatever I want. Next ones are 2 StormRavens ¡ (and SURE I will weather the chapt markings.. :) )

The chapter markings bothered me as well, but I wasn't sure why until the previous posters pointed out the weathering issue.

I personally find the "glowy bits" a little too strong.

Other than that, they're gorgeous. Too bad they're not gray...

I know what you mean, but when I saw them finished I thought they should look fine on a gaming table because of that "strongness".

The source lighting is too strong on the areas you've put it, also there's no light hitting any other part of the rhino except that line.

I've quickly photoshopped what it should look like :)

Very good weathering, everything else is spot on apart from what other have said about weathering the symbols :)

Keep it up!

Very nice comment ¡¡ Next time Ill do it that way, thanks a lot for the photoshop job ¡¡

INteresting work. What material did you use to mask for the airbrushed icons? Frisket film, or masking tape? How'd you get the cuts so smooth? I find that when I'm cutting film or tape, I tend to get pointed spots where my knife pauses at a curve.

I used masking tape: just use always a new X-Acto blade and a plain smooth surface to cut it all.

Well, first off these are some very well painted models.

I just wanted to add a bit to what Dezartfox already mentioned about the OSL. The Rhino would also cast shadows on it self in certain areas. To illustrate what I mean I made this quick sketch here. Right now it looks a bit like you were trying to reproduce some kind of volumetric light effect (But maybe that's what you were going for?).

The icing on the cake would be of course if you would include the battle damage also into you considerations when doing these kinds of lighting effects (scratches casting shadows in themselves etc).

But again, as has been said, it doesn't take away from the models. They are still looking great!

Airbrush effects are all great, although you might want to think about why you are putting them on. The fade that the airbrush gives is very nice and gradient-y, and this gives it a particular effect, which works great for the lights, but doesn't work as well on the wings. As the effect is almost the same, they will tend to look like glows, rather than shading. The decal on the front serves as a very large contrast to how symbols are painted on the tank, so they should look similar somewhat.

Archived