Wounds In Combat

Roesor

I know a character can be targeted specifically in combat, meaning that I cannot allocate wounds to any attached squad or command squad (actually I'm not sure about the command squad or retinues, apparently the IC rule gets suspended or something?) anyhooooo if someone targets 'the squad' or gives no specification, can I allocate wounds on the charcter also? Also do I HAVE to if there are more wounds than squad members? And can they specify that the wounds are squad only?

No, the character is like an entirely seperate unit. This works both ways.

There are no retinues in C:SM or C:BA. So if you play either of those armies you dont need to worry about it. Some common ones include C:Tau, where drones and bodygaurds are not uncommon.

So if there are more wounds than squad members and my opponent didn't designate a target or simply said 'The squad' I cannot be forced to, or of my own violition, put wounds on any attached charcaters? Unless it's specifically a retinue or bodyguard, which suspends the IC rule altogether?

Also with that, say with an Inquistor and retinue, taking wounds, if I choose to allocate to the inquisitor from shooting attacks and deliberately kill him off first, and then the squad, is that only 1KP instead of the 2KP you would normally get for killing a retinue and then the independant character afterwards.

Yes- if your opponent didnt chance the attacks on the character he doesnt get the benefits, no matter how well he kills the squad.

For the latter, he 'counts as an upgrade character' until hes the last person in the squad. So, as one random member of any one unit hed not give up his won Killpoint, RAW.

Kind of how like tau gundrones, let loose from their vehicles, become their own unit worth its own KP. But if the vehicle is destroyed they go with it, counting as part of the vehicle and thus not a KP.

Yes- if your opponent didnt chance the attacks on the character he doesnt get the benefits, no matter how well he kills the squad.

For the latter, he 'counts as an upgrade character' until hes the last person in the squad. So, as one random member of any one unit hed not give up his won Killpoint, RAW.

Kind of how like tau gundrones, let loose from their vehicles, become their own unit worth its own KP. But if the vehicle is destroyed they go with it, counting as part of the vehicle and thus not a KP.

I thought they counted as Passengers in all ways?

Ooo. But tbh if your are in b2b with a character attached to a sqaud then you are usually in contact with the sqaud also because of the base size.

I also leafed through the rulebook and found that a charcter with a retinue, despite suspending the IC rule, still gives you two killpoints. It's on the summary pages at the back.

Grey Mage pointed it out so I thought I would add to the list. There are no Retinues in the BT codex either. Despite the command squads filling the criteria for a Retinue the Character rules specifically deny it.

Grey Mage pointed it out so I thought I would add to the list. There are no Retinues in the BT codex either. Despite the command squads filling the criteria for a Retinue the Character rules specifically deny it.

I Thought the Character Rules just said they acted like an IC? and an IC with a retinue....

It says they do not stop being an IC for the purposes of CC

Do you have an exact quote? Cause I was pretty sure it was something like "Function as ICs in close combat." which an IC with a retinue functions as an upgrade character...

Not our templar command sqauds.

*Sigh*

In absence of anyone else stepping up I found the rule myself

BT Codex, pg 22, Black Templar Characters:

"A character who is leading or attached to a squad does not stop being an independent character for the purposes of close combat."

Have you considered that an Independant Character in a retinue is still an IC they just work like an Upgrade character? This sentence just looks like its reiterating a fact to me. An IC is an IC.

Not our templar command sqauds.

*Sigh*

In absence of anyone else stepping up I found the rule myself

BT Codex, pg 22, Black Templar Characters:

"A character who is leading or attached to a squad does not stop being an independent character for the purposes of close combat."

Have you considered that an Independant Character in a retinue is still an IC they just work like an Upgrade character? This sentence just looks like its reiterating a fact to me. An IC is an IC.

Yes, we have discussed this ad nauseum in our subform.

No an IC with a retinue is not still an IC. They "count as an upgrade character until all of the other squad members are killed, at which point they start counting as and IC and will do so for the rest of the game."

BT characters are always an IC in CC. You can't count as an upgrade character and be an IC at the same time. They have contradicting rules

Yes, we have discussed this ad nauseum in our subform.

No an IC with a retinue is not still an IC. They "count as an upgrade character until all of the other squad members are killed, at which point they start counting as and IC and will do so for the rest of the game."

BT characters are always an IC in CC. You can't count as an upgrade character and be an IC at the same time. They have contradicting rules

Wouldn't a rule such as Dante's Death Mask for example still effect the IC with a retinue despite the fact he is in a retinue? My understanding was just that they were still an IC but for making attacks they worked like an Upgrade.

Not familiar with that rule, however, IC's with a retinue are not still IC's. They may not leave the unit, and since they count as an upgrade character they can't be targeted in CC. Those are basically the only two rules that make an IC an IC.

Archived