Black Templar Land Raider with Winter Camo

Kronk

Below is a WIP picture I took of my 2 land raiders. I wanted to do a Winter Camo paint job on these, and tried 2 different method.

Left Tank:

1. Assemble tank as shown.

2. Primer black.

3. Cover random patterns with modeling clay.

4. Spray with grey primer.

5. Cover random patterns with modelling clay.

6. Spray with white primer.

Right Tank:

1. Assemble tank as shown.

2. Primer black.

3. Cover random patterns with masking tape.

4. Spray with grey primer.

5. Cover random patterns with masking tape.

6. Spray with white primer.

Comparison/Observations:

* It was harder to get a good seal with the masking tape than the modelling clay. As a result, there were places where the spray got under the tape and caused the lines to lose their sharpness is a few places. It was relatively easy to touch up.

* Both the tape and the clay were easy to remove. The clay did leave some residue in some of the seems on the tank, but it was easy to simply "dab" the clay off using another fresh piece of clay.

* I'm not 100% happy with the clay method. I think I should have made the covered sections smaller and more frequent. I'm not sure if I'll get that great of a look, though.

* I'm very happy with this first attempt on taping. On my next try, I'll look for narrower tape and put some "V" patterns on center and sides.

Any comments or ideas on how to make this better would be appreciated (Using clay, tape, or other media). These two will be kept as they are. I have a few rhinos that will be getting this treatment in the near future. Perhaps I'll do something with my baneblade (for Apoc Games).

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2011/2/7/182450_sm-Black%20Templars,%20Camouflage,%20Crusader,%20Land%20Raider,%20Winter.jpg

1. Do you have an airbrush?

2. The left LR looks more natural while the right LR looks a bit odd with the angles and large staight lines. You could try applying thin one inch long stripes that taper and rotate their orientation about the vehicle.

3. Have you considered just priming the tank, not masking anything, and then use both colors from a distance to apply the paint? Say maybe a bit over a foot away so you don't get a hard solid coat of paint?

4. Have you considered stipling the colors of your choosing? I drybrushed a King Tiger model after priming it black and then stipled a yellow onto it before washing it in brown IIRC. I can post a pic if you would like.

Is the aim to keep the patter crisp and clean or would you consider drybrushing the white and then stipling grey and maybe a light stiple of brown or something?

@ Zeller: Thanks for the reply. Let me see if I can answer your questions.

1. No, I don't have an airbrush. A buddy just bought one. I was going to let him be the guenny pig.

2. I might try thinner, but I had seen some camo vehicles with straight edges and hard angles to confuse the enemy about the size of the actual vehicle. I'll try to dig that picture up again. Again, I'm no camo expert and have no idea if mine is effective.

3. I haven't tried that. It might come out really splotchy, which isn't the look I want.

4. I haven't "stipled before." If you have an example, I'd love to see it.

I prefer a crisp look, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

@ CF: I disagree on them not using camo, though. A skilled and experienced Marshal would use tactics and cunning to get close enough to smite his enemy.

The problem with the left tank is that the camo blobs are too...blobular. If you look at actual camo patterns on older designs of tanks, you'll notice they have very asymmetrical oval patterns, this is because the camo (if this isn't already obvious) is meant to break up the shape of the tank at range within the human eye. As it stands, this tank currently has what I'll call "Valhallan Polka-Dot". Try using thinner, longer blobs of masking putty next time, as it gives it a more realistic camouflage pattern.

The second tank has a wholly different problem, but this one may be just up to you. Stripes have been part of camouflage for a long time, everything from the ubiquitous Tiger Stripe pattern everyone and their hunting dog has seen to a few other desert-themed variations. However those are a wavy, layered striped with specks of other camo types mixed within. What you have with that tank is considered 'Naval Camouflage', which is straight in design and monochromatic. This type of camo was used on ships during World War Two in order to fool submarine gunners. The practice was that the stripes made it difficult for submarine gunners to determine which direction the ship was heading, and it seemed to have worked, at least until more advanced electronic tracking systems were developed. While effective for sea-faring vessels, it's practically useless on land-based vehicles.

Now, if you want to continue with a 'Naval' style of camo, understand that that style looked akin to zebra-stripes or some sort of modern art. Just typing in 'naval camouflage' will give you all the source material you need for that. What I'm trying to get across with this is 'lose the criss-cross patterns'.

I hope this helps with your painting efforts and don't give up, both of those paintjobs are totally salvageable! Just see if you can intermix a third color to unify and realign the camouflage as it is. I'd go with a greyish blue, maybe a 1:1 of Regal Blue and Fortress Grey.

I hope this helps with your painting efforts and don't give up, both of those paintjobs are totally salvageable! Just see if you can intermix a third color to unify and realign the camouflage as it is. I'd go with a greyish blue, maybe a 1:1 of Regal Blue and Fortress Grey.

I'd be all for it. How would I implement it, though? The use of putty to mask what I already have then spray?

Or just paint it on?

Because only 1 of the pictures I have is actually a space marine thing I'm going to instead suggest you visit my blog. I've created a post with the few things I've stipled recently as well as the two tanks with winter camouflage. Unfortunately the lictor is the only large stipled surface that shows the idea well. It's a bit like drybrushing in the respect that you don't load up your brush. Just dry small blotches that can be built to make larger splotches or patterns. Again, I do apologize for not having a tank that is actually stipled in a camouflage. :P

The blog post.

Well done on both of them Brother Kronk. The LR with the geometric pattern on the right looks better to me and I would follow Solid Zaku's comments with a suggestion to search 'camoflage patterns' on google. You should be able to find all sorts of references to look at. The tape method strikes me as being a easy way to do the different coloured stripes but try different lengths of tape and see what you can come up with. in the end those tanks will look striking on the table top.

I have to say I love the straight line looking armour that you painted on the raider on the right, looks awesome :P Gives it that sort of "urban warfare" look. The splotchy look on the other hand...i think the problem with it is the fact of how hard the edges are on the colour changes. I'd love to see a clearer (closer) image of the raider on the right ^_^

Archived