Can marines give cover to a dread?

Grendelsbane

I was watching a video on youtube and the guy talked about a strategy of having a dread follow your tactical marines. Now...my understanding is that a dread being a vehicle needs 50% cover to get the cover save. I didn't think that marines would give cover to such a dread no matter how many were in front. The thing is too tall and can easily be seen IMO.

So am I right that the dread would not get cover? Or am I totally wrong and I should be marching my dread right behind some mea.....er....true warriors of the Emperor?

50%

If LOS from a weapon doesn't (ignoring artificial cover) see 50%, it gets cover, no matter what's occluding it. Also, it's 50% of actual silhouette, not 50% of height. A dread's top half most defiantly has a greater silhouette area. I find it difficult to believe a tactical squad could reliably give one cover. (I tried with AoBR tacticals to make it work)

In the specific youtube example, I cannot say as I can't see their weapon LOS... nor can I see if his models are somehow a tiny bit taller as this would do it. +5-10% of the above models height would work out.

Assault squad type figures modeled as tall as possible could do it quite easily.

If he's done this deliberately for the purpose, I'd smirk at him and gossip about him behind his back.

Assault squad type figures modeled as tall as possible could do it quite easily.

If he's done this deliberately for the purpose, I'd smirk at him and gossip about him behind his back.

This is why all my squad sgts have huge backpack banners! Think bigger than the chapter standard.

Just kidding :P

As has been mentioned, you can do it with Assault Marines but not with Tacs unless modeled for advantage.

e.g. Tyranid players can give their Flyrants a cover save using Gargoyles, due to the height of normal flying bases.

It can also be done with bikers and Terminators. You have to really pack the bikers in, though, and then they're template bait...

It's also important to realize that any sort of elevated firing platform (a hill, a ruin, turret weapons) will give an improved LOS to the Dread's hull, and negate the LOS-based cover save from intervening infantry unless they're right on top of the Dread.

My marines commonly give my rhinos cover saves (especially when they disembark). I do usually use the 2nd edition hulls, but they pack in enough to cover the modern one too. Dreadnoughts though...fugedaboudit.

Haha, indeed.

Aren't stuff like banners ignored when checking LOS?
Yes and no. Banners and stuff are ignored when checking LOS to the target model, ie the target model's banners and stuff; however, any intervening banners and stuff are not ignored. Sure, some players (read: ^_^ ) can model their banners and stuff to be huge, but then they'd never get an opponent and any halfwit TO would deny the use of those models. Justice is served.

I'd like to apply common decency when it comes to true LOS and non-standard models. As my whole army is going to be true-scale marines (ie quite abit taller) I intend to be more lenient on things getting cover behind my large marines. On the flip side I might hope my opponent is generous on giving me cover, but I hardly expect it as I chose to model them this way. But never will I try gain advantage from it.

Basically, if you're using non-standard models, you should try account for what would happen if they were standard.

I did with with a 8 man terminator squad, 4 in front and 4 behind. The terminators grant the dread a 50% cover, while the dread gives them a cover save because the other half is obscured behind it.

Can't see how that would be 'legal' in light of the new rulebook FAQ.

Archived