[ARTWORK]- The Unknown Terminator

Colrouphobic

A humble web post cannot convey how much I love the face on that Terminator. The whole pic is good but what makes it brilliant to me is the face. So many pictures show stereotypical shouting hardman types who are either bald or have ludicrous manes of hair and look incapable of feeling fear. The face in your pic speaks to me of weary resolve - this is a man who has witnessed terrible horrors but knows that he must carry on because so many lives depend upon it.

I see a Templar Cross, and so I must claim this glorious Terminator in the name of the Chapter ;)

Very good work. Were it within my power, I'd have you chained to your computer and my own sketchbook, bringing life to my relatively infantile doodles as I tapped my fingertips gleefully in a Mr. Burns fashion from my overlord throne above...or something like that. :P

Looks excellent, shading is really good!

Thanks

Hmm, a Chaplain perhaps?
Unknown is fine by me! Who cares what race he fights for ...

Really good!!

Perhaps. I'm not telling yet, but I guarantee you it's not as easy as "ooh, this symbol" or "ooh, that relic" :)

Sweeeeeet!!
A humble web post cannot convey how much I love the face on that Terminator. The whole pic is good but what makes it brilliant to me is the face. So many pictures show stereotypical shouting hardman types who are either bald or have ludicrous manes of hair and look incapable of feeling fear. The face in your pic speaks to me of weary resolve - this is a man who has witnessed terrible horrors but knows that he must carry on because so many lives depend upon it.
That is pure epic!

Thanks guys :)

Looks very, very Baroquesque, I love it, one of the best images I've seen so far. And is it just me, or is it a badass Jesus in TDA?
hah, cool!

I got the "Jesus in TDA" comment in the WiP-thread also... hehe, suffering but struggling might bring that about.

Baroque is good, I move towards Baroque in my view on the Imperium of man

I see a Templar Cross, and so I must claim this glorious Terminator in the name of the Chapter ^_^

Very good work. Were it within my power, I'd have you chained to your computer and my own sketchbook, bringing life to my relatively infantile doodles as I tapped my fingertips gleefully in a Mr. Burns fashion from my overlord throne above...or something like that. :P

Uh..yeah...I think you'd have to fight my wife to be able to do that, trust me, you wont win. :P

I love it. It really reminds me of Caravaggio's work, the use of shadow, the bright contrasting highlights and the face is a master piece. Congratulations sir.

That's good, Carravaggio and Rubens have the Colours and Values I like and want to get to with my work. Strong sense of lighting and colours :)

He looks like a beardified Liam Neeson Astartes.
Hm...works for me. ;)

As long as he ain't wearing a mini-skirt like in Rob Roy....

he looks mostly like an inquisitor.. :)

excellent..

Thanks, like said, I'm not telling yet.

It definitely caries a mystery persona, as i'm not drawn to a particular identity

I only have 2 critiques:

- you gave yourself a landscape canvas and yet his right shoulder pad is cut off, while you have a wide berth of space to his left

- while he may be 'unknown', the lighting still feels "all over", as if you took a candid polaroid of this fella' but the light is kinda above but not quite to his left or in front?

typically with a darker background, highlighted areas should be used to draw the viewer's eyes towards a particular detail: whether they be a his face, an expression, an armor detail, or his crozius(?).

the face feels right if it were above and his eyes were shadowed, but the rest is rather inconsistently centered

It definitely caries a mystery persona, as i'm not drawn to a particular identity

I only have 2 critiques:

- you gave yourself a landscape canvas and yet his right shoulder pad is cut off, while you have a wide berth of space to his left

- while he may be 'unknown', the lighting still feels "all over", as if you took a candid polaroid of this fella' but the light is kinda above but not quite to his left or in front?

typically with a darker background, highlighted areas should be used to draw the viewer's eyes towards a particular detail: whether they be a his face, an expression, an armor detail, or his crozius(?).

the face feels right if it were above and his eyes were shadowed, but the rest is rather inconsistently centered

Whilst I understand your critique, there are two things to concider.

1) Composition. I have purposely put the character so that his face follows the rule of thirds. This so that it will be the first focal point.

I have made sure there are certain elements to bring a sense of mystery and awe. Lighting is one of them, but compositional it means putting some "blank" space to focus even more on the face. The weapon actually makes the space above it draw your eyes towards the face even more. An unfortunate event is that these boards display a grey background to the image. If put on a black background you actually see things in the "black" areas.

2) Lighting. He's standing just in the light coming down from through an archway or similar. Looking at the way the light forms on his shoulderpads indicates this very well, but also that his weapon is actually leaned somewhat forward toward us, giving it more light. but it's also made this way to emphasize certain parts of his armour and the painting in general.

Looking at the darker parts of his arm-armour, you will see the very narrow light-gleam. I used a reference for this- it comes out like that if it is very shiny yet very dark (such as black plastic, or porcelain, or even very shiny cast-iron). Likewise the golden details cast more light simply because they do so in real life. They also take on bounce-light from all kinds of direction.

This is the reason why the details "around" his head actually are seen in the first place. The sun that circles the spot where the head comes out is further back behind the actual head, and the only reason why it even shows in this sort of lighting is because of bounce-lighting.

You should note that I have used Chiaroscuro as a means to highlight certain aspects that I find important to view, this means that the background is extremely dark, simply because I wish to emphasize certain aspects of the painting.

For compositional rules and help with learning more about it, here is a very good start:

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom...3275&page=1

For Chiaroscuro (lighting-techniques) I don't know any good tutorials or the likes, I got taught by a painter and by studying Carravaggio and Rubens, as well as the Tenebrists of the 17th century, but here is a start of sorts:

http://emptyeasel.com/2007/07/20/chiaroscu...light-and-dark/

Finaly, please dont feel that I'm counterarguing because I think I'm right- I'm merely explaining my reasons. I take any critiscism and look at it objectivly. Form different ideas around it and use it to become a better painter.

Thank you for your critique!

• 2 weeks later...
Great artwork in a style that I have not sen so much for 40K illustration -it really suits the 40K univers very well. For me the title Unknown terminator refers to the terminator that enters the board of Horus´s flagship when he is about to kill the Emperor. It is not cleraly stated (to my knowledge) wich chapter he belonges to, and by performing his duty (blasting away at Horus with his stormbolter even though he knows Horus is gonna kick his ass) he indirectly saves humanity by showing the emperor that Horus is beyond rescue. I´v written a piece off fluff for a DIY-chapter based in thta charchter (ba AND if succesor).

Archived