Assault squad points quandary...

Crimson Fisting

As stated in C:SM, if you choose not to equip your assault Marines with jump packs, then you can give them a pod, rhino or razor for free. My question is, if I wanted to not equip them packs, but instead embark them in a Crusader, would I subtract 35-40pts from their total for not taking one of the dedicated transports either?

In Codex Space Marines if you take off the jump packs you must give them a rhino or drop pod. But if you wnat them to embark in a Land Raider later that is legal.

But there would be no points discount.

I think you misunderstand me. I don't mean take the Crusader as a dedicated transport. I mean take no jump packs, then purchase the Crusader seperately and later embark the squad in it.

In Codex Space Marines if you take off the jump packs you must give them a rhino or drop pod. But if you want them to embark in a Land Raider later that is legal.

But there would be no points discount.

You either take the Jump Packs at the standard price, or get the discount and take one of the Options listed.. It's an "either, or" scenario.

The only way to get them into a Raider is to choose a Dedicated Transport from the list and later embark them into that Raider.. But as Brother Tyler stated if you take the discount you take the Transport.

EDIT: Dammit ninja'd with more info ;)

The wording in the codex is that if you remove the packs then you may give them a rhino or pod. It doesn't say you must.

Ok, so I remembered it wrong. But if you don't there is no discount in points.

The wording in the codex is that if you remove the packs then you may give them a rhino or pod. It doesn't say you must.

Ok, so I remembered it wrong. But if you don't there is no discount in points.

Now that I think about it, it'd be a good tactic to just take the empty rhino and zip it around as decoy/ distraction.

It might be worth mentioning that, while Codex:Space Marines doesn't give a discount on transports other than Rhinos or Drop Pods, Codex:Blood Angels does give a discount for any dedicated transport the unit takes.
yep- but in c:ba a landraider can be a dedicated transport for just about anyone...

Two more reasons for me to hate, "we have access to everything under the sun, even if it makes no sense" Blood Angels.

Stormravens = Raven Guard

Infernus Pistols/ Hand Flamers = Salamanders

Super-fast vehicles = White Scars

Stupid, stupid Blood Angels

It might be worth mentioning that, while Codex:Space Marines doesn't give a discount on transports other than Rhinos or Drop Pods, Codex:Blood Angels does give a discount for any dedicated transport the unit takes.
yep- but in c:ba a landraider can be a dedicated transport for just about anyone...

Two more reasons for me to hate, "we have access to everything under the sun, even if it makes no sense" Blood Angels.

Stormravens = Raven Guard

Infernus Pistols/ Hand Flamers = Salamanders

Super-fast vehicles = White Scars

Stupid, stupid Blood Angels

actualy super fast vehicles has always been a blood angel thing. BA are the only chapter even more into CC than the wolves are, and they want to get ther as fast as possible

Yea, yea. Everyone always bitches about Ultras being GWs poster boys, but one need only look at the new BA dex to see who their beloved pretty boys are. And, I challenge the claim that the BA love CC more than the Wolves. I think they'd challenge that too.

Yea, yea. Everyone always bitches about Ultras being GWs poster boys, but one need only look at the new BA dex to see who their beloved pretty boys are. And, I challenge the claim that the BA love CC more than the Wolves. I think they'd challenge that too.

I would not challenge that, as a member of the death company and a father of a member. ;)

Besides, BA were the poster boys loooong before Ultras stole our thunder. ;p

Archived