Lamenters Storm Raven

mega_marines

Alright, ladies and gents, so with my Lamenters officially now over 60 models, I thought it was appropriate to give them a little airborne reinforcement. While I'm waiting on a pair of Land Speeder Typhoon kits to arrive, I'm busying myself with the new Storm Raven.

Now, I like the kit, but I wasn't too big a fan of the turret, the weird little spoiler on the back, or the ridiculously large air duct. That, and the lack of a cool looking Dreadnought carrier hoist in the back. So, like any hobbyist, I improvised.

I took the base of the servitor turret, the lascannons and covers, a Cadian Vox Caster(Cut down), and some plasticard to make a new turret with a much more sleek profile. Its as simple as laying the lascannons down onto a cut down turret bottom, throwing the cut down Vox in between, and overlaying the front gap with plasticard. Following that, I cut down the air duct by about 50% with a the humble Hobby Saw, and them into place.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k175/megamarines/IMG_0644.jpg

Now, as we move to the back of the Storm Raven, I decided to copy an idea I saw photoshopped onto the Storm Raven when it was first announced. I wanted it to be more in line with a Landspeeder type of spoiler, while still looking like a big 'ole flier. To remedy the situation, I took some plasticard, cut out a pair of squares, and then cut them diagonally across and attached them for a much more sturdy appearance in the back.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k175/megamarines/IMG_0646.jpg

Lastly, we have the Dreadnought Carrier System (DCS). To make the DCS, I took a pair of extra mid-toe joints leftover from my pair of Warhounds and slapped them into place along the weak little tow cable system to beef out the back of the Storm Raven, in addition to making it look like it can actually carry a Dreadnought without it falling off mid-flight. I was initially going to do the exact same system with a pair of cut down Sentinel legs, but the extra Titan pieces gave me an excuse to save money.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k175/megamarines/IMG_0645.jpg

And there you have it! Right now it's just primed and awaiting the nice touch of Lamenters yellow.

-Matt :)

That is very nice! Most impressive, though a little galling to find someone who can have:
extra mid-toe joints leftover from my pair of Warhounds
:)

Hah, I know what you mean. But in my defense, Forge World sent me one of my Warhounds with an entire set of extra feet! I may as well use the pieces they gave me instead of just having a pair of feet sitting around. ^_^

Wow....that's a whole lotta yellow :P

Looks like a pretty good start. Aside from the detail work still to be done, I'd say it could use a good proppa' schorchin' ;) <---not actually angry, it's just the only emoticon with fire...why is that? :)

Looking good man!

The turret looks way better like that.

Are you going to paint the cockpit glass instead if having the see-through plastic/painted interior?

Yeah, I definitely want the cockpit glass painted and looking durable instead of having what looks like a Techmarine sitting an inch away from an inch of glass that looks like it couldn't take a lasgun.

Awesome job, very clean like it's just left the forge :P

Hah, for now. It'll be a bit more battered soon.

Wow....that's a whole lotta yellow ^_^

Looks like a pretty good start. Aside from the detail work still to be done, I'd say it could use a good proppa' schorchin' :huh: <---not actually angry, it's just the only emoticon with fire...why is that? :tu:

Oh, have no fear, it'll be good and worn in soon.

Very nice - did you airbrush that Yellow?

I did airbrush the basecoat and wash(albeit watered down wash) and hand brushed the highlights.

looks very good, i would have cut and repositioned the turret muzzels though. so that they're facing like normal lascannons instead of sideways. but nonetheless very good job :P

looks very good, i would have cut and repositioned the turret muzzels though. so that they're facing like normal lascannons instead of sideways. but nonetheless very good job :)

I definitely gave the idea a thinking through, but for some odd reason it looked rather awkward. when I attempted to dry fit it. :)

NICE...

I still like the model.... love what you did with it.

Airbrush???

Thanks bro! Means a lot.

And yes, the first basecoat of yellow, and the watered down wash were applied via airbrush. The yellow highlights were done by hand though, as are the details coming along.

looks very good, i would have cut and repositioned the turret muzzels though. so that they're facing like normal lascannons instead of sideways. but nonetheless very good job :)

I think what Wicced meant is the end's of the barrels, just cut them off and turn them so they look like normal lascannons as opposed to looking like lascannons turned on their sides :)

I quite like the storm raven, and seeing people's versions of it.

Keep up the good work :D

Now that is a nice shade of yellow...beautiful job, man, looking forward to seeing this beast finished.

Thanks man! By the way, love your work!

Also, Checker patterns are done!

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k175/megamarines/IMG_0649.jpg

looks very good, i would have cut and repositioned the turret muzzels though. so that they're facing like normal lascannons instead of sideways. but nonetheless very good job :D

I think what Wicced meant is the end's of the barrels, just cut them off and turn them so they look like normal lascannons as opposed to looking like lascannons turned on their sides :D

I quite like the storm raven, and seeing people's versions of it.

Keep up the good work :D

nurglez knows all...whoops where did that come from? ;)

yup thats exactly what i meant

Great stuff, man! The reduced height of the turret/air duct gives much nicer proportion, IMO, and gives the appearance of a more believable flying contraption. I approve! :rolleyes:

Any chance we could get some more shots of your Dreadnought lift system? I've been going nuts trying to figure out a better one myself, this might give some ideas.

Finished!

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k175/megamarines/IMG_0651.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k175/megamarines/IMG_0658.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k175/megamarines/IMG_0659.jpg

And Lexington, my original idea was to try and use cut down Sentinel legs glued right next to the stock Dreadnought Carrier System to look like claw-assists of sorts. It's rather cut and paste.

• 1 month later...

Archived