Combat Squads and Transports

ChaosPhoenix

Hi there,

somehow this never occured to me. I think about running a 10 men Terminator squad. I want to seperate it into combat squads, which happens before deployment. I buy them two land raiders / storm ravens as heavy choices. Am I allowed to do that? I mean buying one squad and let them deploy in two transports?

Once that squad is split into two as per Combat Squads they are considered as two different squads. So yes, they may get in different transports. You may only by the unit of 10 one dedicated transport however, and only one of those two Combat Squads can enter it, but if you have a spare transport you can can enter then you may put them in that. Hope that helps :P.

Perfectly acceptable, as long as neither combat squad goes into reserve. If both are deployed at at the start of the game they can start in the land raiders.

If the transports are in reserve too, shouldn't it be ok?

I'm just thinking about a for-fun-list with Terminators in Stormravens. I've got only one elite slot free. So I would have to buy a 10 terminator squad and split it. But I might sometimes want to keep the Stormravens in reserve.

If the transports are in reserve too, shouldn't it be ok?

I'm just thinking about a for-fun-list with Terminators in Stormravens. I've got only one elite slot free. So I would have to buy a 10 terminator squad and split it. But I might sometimes want to keep the Stormravens in reserve.

Space Marine FAQ covers something similar about Drop Pods and combat squads:

Q: Can you take a Drop Pod with a 10-man squad and

then put a combat squad in it, deploying the other combat

squad on the table, or leave it in reserve but not in the

Drop Pod? (p69)

A: No, because squads that are placed in reserve may not

break down into combat squads.

combat squading happens when the unit is deployed, with the exception of units embarked in drop pods which instead combat squad when they disembark.

when you put something in reserve you chose not to deploy it (and instead deploy it later). Thus the unit is ALWAYS its 10 man version (or 8 and an attack bike for bikes) while in reserve. When you place a unit in reserve you MUST declare how it will enter, including if its embarked or has IC attached, you may not change this decision later (with the exception of nids using a trygon tunnel, and I think necrons may have a special exception). As such if in reserves the unit can only be in one transport (because its only one unit), and if it is embarked you will be unable to combat squad, again with the exception of drop pods, because you cannot have two units in one transport. As combat squading ocours when its deployed and deployment is when you put it on the table. If you are using superheavy transports (which can hold more than one unit) then you may, but thats apoc only.

Archived