Vendettas how to deal with them?

Grendelsbane

You are an evil person Bartali :D

I agree that IG has a lot of template fire that can wreck your infantry... but no unit is bullet-proof.

If you are looking for a unit that can shoot down an AV12 vehicle, that can hug cover, has range and won't suffer from template fire...anything that's not a terminator unit will fail to please.

And even then...you know I play DW/RW and if my RW was putting my opponent nervous, my DW wouldn't live so well.

Also, keep in mind, that another part of what makes the Vendetta so powerful is the raw amount of AV12 that IG can field. 3 vendettas in an army of nothing but infantry are very easy to deal with. Three vendettas in an army with fourteen other non-squadroned AV12 vehicles is another things altogether. If their list isn't running a ton of other armor, or is trying to run squadrons of vendettas, they become much easier to deal with.

Alright I made changes to my list based on what I read here.

This is what I am thinking

HQ

150 - Space Marine Captain - Relic blade, hellfire rounds, digital weapons.

160 - Command squad with 1 combi flamer & Drop pod

Elite

250 - 8 Sternguard - 3 multimeltas & Drop pod

125 - Dreadnought - 2 AC

125 - Dreadnought - 2 AC

Troops

230 - 9 Tactical marines, 1 flamer, 1 multi melta

1 Sgt with combiflamer, and powersword & Drop pod

230 - 9 Tactical marines, 1 melta, 1 missile launcher

1 Sgt with powerfist & Rhino (?)

H. Support

120 - Predator with las cannon sponsons

120 - Predator with las cannon sponsons.

1525 points

I know I'm over...anything I should take out?

My thoughts is to drop the sternguard, the captain and command squad, and 1 tac squad in his midst. Dread and Predators hide behind something and move to firing positions on their move or start out in cover.

Better?

The list looks tons better.

1- I'd lose the powerfists on the tac squads. That's 50 points to work with right there.

2- I'm wondering about the command squad loadout. Why the combiflamer? Plasmaguns and meltaguns would be great in drop pods, or just regular flamers.

-Myst

The list looks tons better.

1- I'd lose the powerfists on the tac squads. That's 50 points to work with right there.

2- I'm wondering about the command squad loadout. Why the combiflamer? Plasmaguns and meltaguns would be great in drop pods, or just regular flamers.

-Myst

1. I always think I'll need a powerfist in case the tac squad runs into a dread or some carnifax or something.

2. I didn't have enough points. :cuss I was going to do 3 combi meltas and 1 combi flamer. But ran out of points. I'll take out the powerfists and try that out.

Those vendettas will be mine!

Thanks for the review!!!

I'd also reconsider the multimeltas in the sternguard. As they're heavy weapons, you wouldn't be able to fire them the turn the pod dropped. (Bad) And you lose the bolter that makes Sternguard so nice! (Also bad).

Consider replacing them with the ultra-cheap combiweapons the Sternguard get. You could get...what, 6 combiweapons for the price of the multimeltas?

Otherwise I like the list - it's a nice combination of "shooty" and "in-your-face".

Alright here's my revised list:

HQ

150 - Space Marine Captain - Relic blade, hellfire rounds, digital weapons.

180 - Command squad with 1 combi flamer, 2 combi meltas, & Drop pod

Elite

230 - 7 Sternguard - 4 combi meltas & Drop pod

125 - Dreadnought - 2 AC

125 - Dreadnought - 2 AC

Troops

230 - 9 Tactical marines, 1 flamer, 1 multi melta

1 Sgt with combiflamer, and powersword & Drop pod

230 - 9 Tactical marines, 1 melta, 1 missile launcher

1 Sgt with combiflamer & powersword & Drop Pod

H. Support

120 - Predator with las cannon sponsons

120 - Predator with las cannon sponsons.

1510 points

I am tempted to get rid of the power swords on the tac squads so I can get maybe back that 1 extra sternguard or maybe a a company champion and banner. Don't know though :/

Does your opponent take a lot of veterans with Grenadier upgrade? A 4+ save is pretty good.

If he doesn't, id drop the power swords. Id probably drop them anyway, sphess mahreens are pretty good at laying the smackdown on guardsmen. I had one guy with a flamer hold up a unit of 10 for about 3 turns, and the dice weren't insanely skewed in my favour.

Does your opponent take a lot of veterans with Grenadier upgrade? A 4+ save is pretty good.

If he doesn't, id drop the power swords. Id probably drop them anyway, sphess mahreens are pretty good at laying the smackdown on guardsmen. I had one guy with a flamer hold up a unit of 10 for about 3 turns, and the dice weren't insanely skewed in my favour.

Nah...no grenadiers upgrades Looks like he's running 2 squads of ratlings, 2 command squads with master of ordinance...and 2 infantry platoons with 3 infantry squads (mortar team and 2 missile launchers). 2 squads of 2 griffons, 1 basilisk, and 3 vendettas.

Didn't realize he had so many griffons.

Archived