Mephiston, Invincible Slayer of Necrons?

thade

Oh Hi Thade! Thade ran Meph against me last night. To correct him, Meph didn't kill the second squad of warriors. They were champs and stood toe to toe for two rounds through the end of the game, made all their Ld checks and kept on truckin.

Funny, I did notice Meph seemed even more put off than usual. That would explain it.

... we don't have a ... solution for him so the best we can do is try to win via sneakiness...
That's a great summary of 5th edition Necron tactica IMO. ^_^ You have the tools to toe to toe with the best army, but you can never field them in sufficient numbers(cost, foc slots) or they'll be awkward to deploy due to lack of mobility options(destroyers aside!).

Seriously, break down each necron choice and you'll find that the majority of them are either slightly to super overcosted(wraiths, monolith) for what they bring to the table, or difficult to deliver(spyders, most infantry choices), or both(Pariahs, C'tan). IMO, Necrons do however have the best objective contesting unit in the game in scarabs, and probably the best bikers in the game in destroyers, which combined make them incredibly hard to beat(tie, yes, but that's another story) in objective based games(vod lords also rank highly here). In annhilation you're at a bit of a disadvantage IMO because as your troops are very durable(allowing you to effectively retain killpoints) you'll lack the overall "punch" to claim easy killpoints.

Merely my opinion of course, but Necrons are still a reasonably solid, if limited army, if not a super competitive one, and very suited for a trickery/sneakery based playstyle atm.

Archived