Smallest model count

dirge caster

Please can you help me. Has anyone worked out the smallest number of blood angel models you can fit into a 1500 point army? I'm very short on time and really need to build up an army quickly so don't mind using expensive special characters, giving a whole squad thunder hammers or any other completely impractical combinations. Thanks for the help everyone.

I think that Dante and the Sanguinary Guard are one of the smallest reasonable armies to use. You pay 40+ points per troops model and you don't need more than Dante, maybe Sanguinor or Astorath and some boxes of Sanguinary Guard.

The absolute smallest model count, I think you could go for 5-man assault squads in Land Raiders as the core of your army. Not the most balanced build, though...

Well if you don't want a competitive army just a small army.

Here you go.

Sanguinar

Astorath

3 Death Company (1 Thunderhammer, 2 Power weapons, Jump packs)

Lemartes

3 Deathcompany(1 Thunderhammer, 2 Power weapons, Jump packs)

Storm Raven (Typhoon ML, Hurricane Bolters)

Storm Raven (Typhoon ML, Hurricane Bolters, Extra armor)

Comes out to 1500 points exactly and has 11 models. It won't win any games, but it is probably as small as it gets.

Sanguinor

Astorath

Death Company (3 models)

Each one with 2x Thunder Hammers

Land Raider Crusader+multimelta

Death Company (3 models)

Each one with 2x Thunder hammers

Land Raider Crusader+multimelta

Just so you know: This won't win you a single game.

Hey now it might....if you happen to play against necrons, or Tau with a new player. But yeah for the most part DC centric armies will be the smallest (You actually got one less model in your list than me:), though I think you actually have to buy more stuff for 2 THs on each)

Does it need to be competative? If not, you don't need to use all 1500 points.

HQ of your choice.

5 DC & 1 DC Dred (or 2 units of 3 DC if you HQ is Astorath)

Either way, 7 models. I do believe this is the smallest model count.

Then add whatever time alows on top of that.

Jump Infantry only that score from 3 SG boxes (and bits)... and the 2 HQs. (cheaper than the LR lists as well as killing them fairly reliably)

Dante,

Mephiston

5 priests jp, combi-m, claw

1 x SG banner, masks, fist, 1 infernus

1 x SG masks fist, 1 infernus

Sanguinor

3 Death Company, 2 Thunder Hammers on Each

Death Company, Heavy Flamer

Storm Raven with Everything

1500pts

And its even remotely possible you could win a game or two.

Sanguinor

Astorath

6 Death Co.

Lemartes

3 Chaplain

(all w/ Jump)

=1650 maxed

12 models will allow for a little variety. Thought about doing an army like this myself, but I'd use Mephiston instead of Sanguinor. How large are you willing to go? 14 models will at least get you a scoring unit.

I'm also going to say the Dante-All Sanguinary Guard List.

Dante

Sanguinary Guard - PF, 3 Infernus Pistols, Chapter Banner

Sanguinary Priest - PW, JP, Meltabombs

Sanguinary Guard - PF, Infernus Pistol

Sanguinary Guard - PF, Infernus Pistol

Sanguinary Guard - Death Masks, Plasma Pistol

Sanguinary Guard - Death Masks, Plasma Pistol

Comes in at 1500 on the dot.

and at less then 200 USD

-Samirus

sanguinor-275pts

Astorath - 220pts

Death Company - 180pts 3 guys, all with jps and THs

Death Company - 180pts 3 guys, all with jps and THs

Vanguard vetran assault squad 645pts 8 guys, all with THs, SS, and one with a meltabomb

1500pts total

16 models :P :)

Eh, I'd pass on the VV, and throw in DC, or furioso dreads instead.

I think some of you may be missing the point this guy is facing. He needs to buy as few models as possible to make an army of a certain size. telling him to make squads with 3 thunder hammers doesn't make much sense does it? Unless any of you are willing to trade him your extra (if that is even possible) thunder hammers for.... wait, nothing?

I think it also makes more sense to recommend stuff that can actually be useful in the future.

I'd personally go for the biggest armour, an expensive HQ and 2 small squads of troops.

i.e. Troops: always useful

land raider/stormraven: great later on

HQ: a nice addition even if he later decides to play a different one.

A predator kit can also make an about 200 point unit for a reasonable cost, that can be scaled down when his points constraint isn't as binding.

Just to prove my point, from 2 posts before:

Vanguard vetran assault squad 645pts 8 guys, all with THs, SS, and one with a meltabomb

Now unless you have a massive bit box or 20 friends willing to sponsor you (in which case you wouldn't have this problem in the first place) that unit alone will probably be more costly than a regular army of 1500 points.

PPS buy the assault on black reach box if you're in a pinch for models.

Thats actually not what he said at all...

I'm very short on time and really need to build up an army quickly so don't mind using expensive special characters, giving a whole squad thunder hammers or any other completely impractical combinations. Thanks for the help everyone.

He wants to have to build/paint the fewest number of models, not buy the fewest. I agree that it is a bad idea in general, but it is what he asked for. As for buying the least my original list

Sanguinar ($20)

Astorath($17)

Lemartes($17)

2 x Deathcompany Box ($66)

2 x Storm raven ($132)

For a total of $252.

If you were willing to do some bitswaps/conversions you could instead go for

1 Sanguinary guard box

1 Deathcompany Box

and 2 storm ravens.

for $198

Then convert the 3 Special characters and one DC model using the Sanguinary guard box.

In that case this is just a bogus thread :-D it defies logic. Unless the person really is very rich, just very low on time. But i doubt it... its just a case of "my friend wanted to know if you really can get pregnant from masturbating". :-D

Nevertheless, it does allow for fun conversations.

PS do you know that you can make a 960 point unit in the regular SM: Codex? Hint, which unit is massively overpriced, can wield 2 thunder hammers, jump packs and melta bombs each? :-D If you add Calgar, Tigurius and 3 techmarines... you get a grand total ooooof: 1815 points for a single legal unit on the tabletop :-D (960+265+230+120+120+120)

Now imagine you carry that unit in the most buffed out land raider (with chronus sitting on it nonetheless).... and then put that land raider into a stromraven...

I'll leave the maths up to you... but why play apocalypse witth hundreds of models when you can have 1 unit with a 2 transports instead? :-D

PS do you know that you can make a 960 point unit in the regular SM: Codex? Hint, which unit is massively overpriced, can wield 2 thunder hammers, jump packs and melta bombs each? :-D If you add Calgar, Tigurius and 3 techmarines... you get a grand total ooooof: 1815 points for a single legal unit on the tabletop :-D (960+265+230+120+120+120)

Now imagine you carry that unit in the most buffed out land raider (with chronus sitting on it nonetheless).... and then put that land raider into a stromraven...

I'll leave the maths up to you... but why play apocalypse witth hundreds of models when you can have 1 unit with a 2 transports instead? :-D

You can make an almost 3000pt unit of death company without and ICs attached in our book.

While it's an interesting excercise, in order to make it useful down the road, I'd consider starting the list with these provided you'd use these elements in a future list

Dante+a unit of SG and/or Mephiston

A dread

A stromraven

A landraider

Death Company

Something else to go in the Landraider or Stormraven.

You can make an almost 3000pt unit of death company without and ICs attached in our book.

yeah, I was just looking at that :-D but then again, its 30 units :tu: that at least looks like an army, not a squad :D

Yeah though the BA codex still has the record for the most expensive unit possible.

30 Deathcompany with 2 THs, Jumppacks and Lemartes is 3000 points in one unit. Then you can add 9 sanguinary Priests (jump packs, infernus pistols and fists, Dante, and Astorath to get up to 4480 points

As to your unit I am going with Vanguard Vets.

Now that unit is 42 models, but it would be one huge unit, that can deepstike without scatter, has hit and run, can reroll hits and wounds on the charge with 147 S9 attacks on the charge.

Yeah though the BA codex still has the record for the most expensive unit possible.

30 Deathcompany with 2 THs, Jumppacks and Lemartes is 3000 points in one unit. Then you can add 9 sanguinary Priests (jump packs, infernus pistols and fists, Dante, and Astorath to get up to 4480 points

As to your unit I am going with Vanguard Vets.

Now that unit is 42 models, but it would be one huge unit, that can deepstike without scatter, has hit and run, can reroll hits and wounds on the charge with 147 S9 attacks on the charge.

LOL :tu: sadly you'd need another troop to remain in reserve :-D check out my crazy tactics topic in tactica astartes. Just thought of that after seeing this thread :D

Hey with Asotrath you could just pick up another 5 30 man DC squads equipped as above - lemartes. Giving you an army that is more than 18000 points. In fact the largest leagal list that I think is possible in any codex is with BA and I have it clocking in at 24,459 points

30 DC - Twin Thunder Hammers, Jump Packs, Lemartes

5 x 30 DC - Twin Thunder Hammers, Jump Packs

2850 x 5 = 14250

Astorath

Sanguinor

2 x 5 Honour Guard

JP, 2 Thunders, melta bombs

3 x 10 Terminators

27 Chainfists, 6 assault cannons

3 x 10 VGV

2 thunders, meltas

3 Land Raiders

all upgrades

3 x 10 Devastators

4 lascannons, 2 power fists, melta

3 Land Raiders

all upgrades

25586 - 1 FOC. nice.

I think some of you may be missing the point this guy is facing. He needs to buy as few models as possible to make an army of a certain size. telling him to make squads with 3 thunder hammers doesn't make much sense does it? Unless any of you are willing to trade him your extra (if that is even possible) thunder hammers for.... wait, nothing?

Thats why I suggested the list I did. It only requires the 5 boxes of Sanguinary Guard, Dante, and a Priest.

-Samirus

Archived