Dreadnought Loadout

pryor

I'm not so sure about the nerf or price hike. Remember, in the Blood Angels Codex they actually decreased its points cost from 125pts to 120pts. By then they would have known how popular it was and how it was one of the best transport killers in the Codex. How is it nerfed in C:BA is the question. I can't think of a reason. They moved it to Heavy Support so that it wouldn't congest Elites with the Furiouso Dreads, but then I suppose it is competing with Storm Ravens and perhaps fast Vindys. I don't think it's competing with Preds so much as they have Baals in Fast Attack, and Land Raiders are DTs. If C:BA is an indicator (and it may not be), it seems as if GW aren't too concerned with the Rifleman's popularity and power.

And to be honest, they get more money when people convert them, and Rifleman Dreads struggle against AV12 and suck at AV13-14. They are certainly the best AV10-AV11 opener you can find (besides the Hydra I'd imagine), but you pay for this with flexibility. They are no way near as flexible at killing tanks as a combi-pred or a Typhoon, those points of strength do really help. It comes down to what you need in the end. I've always used them for light transport opening, but I've been running them alongside Typhoons, which means I have a bit of ID and ability to better combat AV12 and AV13 at range. Now, to try and get my Vindys in, I'm experimenting with trying to fit a couple of las plas Razorbacks instead of my usual 10 man Tactical squads, so between all my long-ranged choices I'll have all bases covered, could be interesting.

For a Rifleman this is a flawed concept. If you're playing properly and operating at long range, there will be nothing to assault with your Dread. Considering the fact you've payed for a heavy flamer and extra armour, that's 140pts sitting around doing nothing instead of 125pts. Sure you're a bit closer, but if you're using an autocannon you don't want to be closer.

I'm envious that everything always goes according to plan for you. :) Me, I always bank on contingency plans, hence the DCCW which hopefully remains needless for the match. Not every table I play on is a friendly-to-me surface; there are times when the only placement for Dread where he'll have either a reasonable firing lane, reasonable cover, or both, is behind my line of APCs. Even if he's in a perfect position, he can still end up a target of opportunity for the random outflanker or scattered DSing unit.

Bottom line here is that no amount of "playing properly" will keep your Dread out of assaults in 100% of your games.

I always take the DCCW and I always take EA. The former is anti-assault insurance. The latter ensures that - if he does take a stray krak missile - he can limp to hard cover and not keep taking it. Worth it to deny the enemy that kill point or save him for potential cover fire later (once I can draw attention away from him).

Yeah I agree, though I won't put a Heavy Flamer on my Dreads because I'm a tight wad. I like Dreads as an assault unit only when I want to tie something up, put a last wound on a MC out of desparation, or break vehicles. Aside from that, killing troops without powerfists can be ok if it takes them out the game.

Dreads are fairly useful when performing a multi-charge on an enemy with your own assault unit.

For a Rifleman this is a flawed concept. If you're playing properly and operating at long range, there will be nothing to assault with your Dread. Considering the fact you've payed for a heavy flamer and extra armour, that's 140pts sitting around doing nothing instead of 125pts. Sure you're a bit closer, but if you're using an autocannon you don't want to be closer.

I'm envious that everything always goes according to plan for you. :P Me, I always bank on contingency plans, hence the DCCW which hopefully remains needless for the match. Not every table I play on is a friendly-to-me surface; there are times when the only placement for Dread where he'll have either a reasonable firing lane, reasonable cover, or both, is behind my line of APCs. Even if he's in a perfect position, he can still end up a target of opportunity for the random outflanker or scattered DSing unit.

Bottom line here is that no amount of "playing properly" will keep your Dread out of assaults in 100% of your games.

I always take the DCCW and I always take EA. The former is anti-assault insurance. The latter ensures that - if he does take a stray krak missile - he can limp to hard cover and not keep taking it. Worth it to deny the enemy that kill point or save him for potential cover fire later (once I can draw attention away from him).

True, they can wind up in combat, and mine have. However, what I'm trying to say is that your insurance option is halving the Rifleman's effectiveness, while costing another 15pts. I'm all for DCCWs, but the Rifleman gets by with amount of shots. Therefore, if you're using the DCCW you need to keep that up or go for strength, hence the TL-LC or assault cannon.

EDIT: I remember this thread from a while ago, and it was pretty good so I thought I'd post it up is anyone wanted to have a look.

2 x TLAC on dreads

and here's one on the TLAC/DCCW debate

Single TL-autocannon dread, Viable?

Archived