Crazy strategies: 2 unit army

Gunslinger87

I know it is cheesy and probably has a thousand holes I can't think of right now, but have any of you considered having an army (for example a troops as termies list) with just two troops and attached ICs?

Now you may immediately say I am crazy, but this is the logic. 2 Units of 10 termies with an IC each. Start in reserves and arrive via deep strike.

Now you may get lucky and your units don't come to play for a long time. The opponent can either take objectives, or spread out or just stand there for kill points. Once your units do come in, you can either find a secluded little corner if it is a killpoint game and wait it out (or if opponent has spread out anticipating this, maybe try to steal a few points yourself by killing the weakest unit and then running like crazy :-D ) or if it is an objective game, land anywhere where you can survive a round of shooting and then enter combat.

Its just a random idea and far from though out and I'd definitely never try this, even in a completely fun game... but it is a strategy. You play to draw or win for killpoints, and draw for bases. Objectives are always going to be a problem, but hey, people have tried crazier things with reserving everything and the daemon army lining up along the back of their board and ending the game eh? :-D

With terminators specifically I believe that half your squads have to drop at the beginning of turn 1 so you'd have one squad running around with the entire army shooting at it for an indeterminate number of rounds before the second squad arrived. If you pulled that on me my army would fall back in squads to keep shooting you for as long as possible. Maybe it would work maybe it wouldn't.

Only Dark Angel Terminators have the ability to drop half their squad's first turn, and I'm pretty sure you get to choose whether you want to do that as well. It's a trade off between guaranteed start on the table with lack of support against needing luck to get on the table later but with better support. Or something like that. Furthermore, you can only take 5 man squads of Terminators in DA Codex, no 10 man squads.

I'm not sure I quite understand your question and point Gunslinger87. Troops as Termies? The only armies that can take Terminator Troops are the Dark Angels and the Space Wolves, and the Space Wolves can't teleport, they need a Drop Pod to Deep Strike. Space Marine armies get 10 Terminator squads that can teleport, they can't be made troops.

If wait a few months you should be able to do 10 squads of Troop Terminator teleporting onto the battlefield with Grey Knights, otherwise your choices for what you want are limited I'm afraid.

DA can't choose: 50% of their terminators drop in turn 1, whether you like it or not (just like SM pods).

As for the idea, it might be fun and worth a laugh... but it sucks bad tactically.

I've played a full DS DA army and its HARD to fit 5 DS terminators without scatering into some terrain or haeven forbid some enemy, which can result in 33% of the times, destroyed, 33% of the times the unit placed at incovenient places.

Fitting 10 terminators is a huge print and it won't be easy...

I think its a theorectical idea, based on a sort of flexed DA codex.

Lets see 10 terminators, 2 weapon upgrades, then 9 chainfists, 515, so thats a 1030 troop total (If you want to tie up the whole army into 2 units, they'll have to be bloody pricey)

so that leaves 470 points for characters. Calgar+Lysander is 465, so that could potentially be the whole of your list?

Legally i'm not sure if people would let you run it, but it sounds an interesting idea...

I actually realised the other day, terminators are bargains. 40 points a head, but if you remove the powerfist cost, the the termy armour cost and storm bolter cost, they actually work out as getting some of that gear for free, not a bad deal.....

I think its a theorectical idea, based on a sort of flexed DA codex.

Lets see 10 terminators, 2 weapon upgrades, then 9 chainfists, 515, so thats a 1030 troop total (If you want to tie up the whole army into 2 units, they'll have to be bloody pricey)

so that leaves 470 points for characters. Calgar+Lysander is 465, so that could potentially be the whole of your list?

Legally i'm not sure if people would let you run it, but it sounds an interesting idea...

I'd let you use it, and if you don't run after Deep Striking you're getting two demo cannon shots on your packed up Terminators while my Librarian sits in his Rhino cackling as he uses Null Zone :D.

It's a nice idea, but Terminator armies have always been one trick ponies. Sure they work well when you're opponent is only packing flamers, but then he brings plasma the next time around and your Terminators are hitting the dirt like flies. There's nothing wrong with Terminators, you just need the support. It's why I'm more than happy to let people go crazy about 2 wound Terminators in a couple of months time. It doesn't make any difference to me, my Vindicators and meltas still kill them in one shot.

Archived