120mm Space Marine conversion ideas

Surfing Raziel

I've just bought the 120mm Space Marine from Forge World, it's not here yet but I've already started planning in my head. I found your site completely by random, but love your weargear and have used it quite a bit.

This is how the model comes.

http://rqgq2w.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pXvIxyxV5ZTwWnQWwODzGBWS5LQiWRs1CDWBl34FpdMGwHRalXJoHglQAFXVpeXXExO1lXT6c6-nknBbDgjUeP8d8sXXADrNG/Pic02.jpg

The head is a little crap looking and the helmet grate is a little Darth Vader triangle look, so I'm going for the helmet. It comes with a bolter, bolt pistol, knife, one krak and one frag grenades, also two pouches. So as it stands he would look something like this.

smsbeta.php?bpe=215C23&bpj=215C23&bp=215C23&bpc=215C23&hdt=215C23&hdm=215C23&hdl=215C23&ey=AD002E&er=215C23&pi=215C23&nk=215C23&ch=215C23&eg=9CEBF7&sk=9CEBF7&abs=215C23&bt=215C23&cod=215C23&ull=215C23&lk=215C23&lll=215C23&lft=215C23&url=215C23&rk=215C23&lrl=215C23&rft=215C23&slt=215C23&sli=215C23&srt=215C23&sri=215C23&ula=215C23&lel=215C23&lla=215C23&lw=215C23&lh=215C23&ura=215C23&rel=215C23&rla=215C23&rw=215C23&rh=215C23&bg=FFFFFF&rb=828181&gr=828181&wg=true&aq=true&mk7=333333&chps=CC0000&darkangelpad=FFFFFF&slips=CC0000&veti=FFFFFF&bpr=CC0000&cs=CC0000&frag=00AA00&krk=CC0000&spl2=533B1C&spr2=533B1C

So the melee choice is still up for debate before I start hacking and slashing away, but either way I'm dead set on not using the bolter because I want him to look special and less like a grunt. As for the chapter I really liked the idea of Dark Angels but they either have robes which I'm not prepared to do or are promoted to the Deathwing. So I've been searching the net and books for some inspiration, but not really got anywhere.

spacemarine.jpg

But as the final look I've been toying with the idea of upgrading his armor from Mk VII to Mk VIII, covering up the cables and giving him a collar, hopefully looking something like this.

spacemarine.jpg

Anyway please throw your thoughts my way as my friends aren't being much help.

Dark Angels don't all wear robes so there's no reason to fret over that. Are you going to build a chainsword or use the combat knife? The collar is an easy upgrade with some green stuff and a clay molding tool. If you have the clay tool the gs'ing will be much easier to do. I'd suggest the same approach to cover the cables. It would probably be best to first remove the cables and then put a big blob of gs in there and shape it appropriately.

I know that not all Dark Angels Veterans wear robes, however in my warp view of 40K they have a certain image.

With regards to the collar yeah easy as hell but I was thinking of having a small gap, like that one but just enough to provide a gap the bottom line of the helmet grate.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/9/96/MkVIII_Errant.jpg

The cables will be removed and then sanded down to provide a nice gap to add some armor plating.

As for the melee weapon it would be from scratch. My feelings are that the model holds the gun in the right hand and melee in the left. They will be converted to look better, but it's first choose the melee then choose the pose.

My feelings were that a power fist is easy, the left hand has a large open grasp for the bolter. This given more bulk to the hand and then a larger casing over the elbow to wrist. This is my mate Jonny's vote, but he could go either way on the chapter. The chainsword or powersword would be a wire construct, adding layers of green stuff to make it right. If I when for the sword option he would be pointing the sword forward in a marching pose, not much work for the legs in that idea.

But you can see my problem, this is a pricey item and needs my care and attention before messing with it.

Before making final plans I highly recomend having a look at this if you have not seen it before, this is a beautiful bit of work and a real tasty finish.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showth...rine-WIP-Part-1.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showth...rine-WIP-Part-2.

I hope this is of some use to you

I think if you are looking at adding a mk VIII gorget then starting with plasticard as a base and working the putty on to that is the way forward as it keeps everything uniform size and shape.

Yeah I've seen that one and it's amazing, but nowhere near the quality I can produce. I've also seen the other 120 mm WIP on the net and the rest on the net, thank god for google.

Well if your marine is going to be better than that I can't wait to see it. (having read this it sounds sarcastic, but it's not meant that way :no:

Archived