Lamenters Space Hulk Terminator Squad

Dam13n

Been a long time since I posted up anything.

As there happens to be a Badab War themed painting competition at my local GW and had these sitting about...

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r358/MatthewDaunt/Lamenters01.jpg

Still have a way to go and need to be finished by friday...

So far:

Undercoat - Army Painter Fur Brown Spray

Yellow:

- Bubonic Brown basecoat

- Layer with Desert Yellow

- Layer with Kommando Khaki

- All over wash with Gryphonne Sepia

- Shading wash with Devlan Mud

- Touch up layering with Desert Yellow

- Edge Highlight with Kommando Khaki

(Still have to battle damage with Graveyard Earth then Dark Flesh, underline with Kommando Khaki and sharp edge highlight with Skull White)

White:

- Equal Mix of Astonomican Grey and Dheneb Stone basecoat

- Layer with above 2:1 White

- Layer with above 1:1 White

- All over wash with Charadon Granite (Thinned loads)

- Shading wash with Devlan Mud

- Touch up layering with the 1:1 mix

- Edge Highlight with Skull White

(Still have to battle damage with Kommando Khaki and Graveyard Earth, underline with Skull White)

Small update:

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r358/MatthewDaunt/Lamenters02.jpg

Just blacked out the soft armour, weapons and most details, have left the chest eagles and shoulder markings as these will be either red or bone (haven't decided yet) and in the case of the shoulders I need to do the check detailing before I'll worry about them...

Update 22/02/2011:

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r358/MatthewDaunt/Lamenters03.jpg

All areas that will be metal have been basecoated with Charadon Granite, some of the parchment and robe areas basecoated with Calthan Brown, the areas that will (may) end up red have been based with Mecharite Red. Plus the checks are almost done, just have some clean up work to do as well a some tiny highlights of Fortress Grey to the black checks.

Update 24/02/2011:

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r358/MatthewDaunt/Lamenters04.jpg

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r358/MatthewDaunt/Lamenters05.jpg

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r358/MatthewDaunt/Lamenters06.jpg

Big update this time, done all the metal NMM work and the parchment, bone and pale cloth. Based the red areas. Once the red is done I have to do the black areas then the gold NMM and the lenses and then finally the battle damage... phew... at least they're mostly small areas.

Update 27/02/2011:

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r358/MatthewDaunt/Lamenters07.jpg

The finished models (albeit minus bases for the moment) on display in my local GW (Poole, UK)...

Comments welcome (I'll need all the inspiration to get these done that I can get...)

I'd like to spout a fantastic reason about colour theory or something...

Honestly, I bought the spray for some Skaven and had it lying around, I just thought it would be a nicer colour to work from, in my experience white spray has an awful tendency to go chalky and black spray was a no-no for obvious reasons.

As things have gone so far, it is really nice to paint over, gives a nice result too (although the crappy iPhone camera doesn't do it any justice whatsoever).

In addition to the update in post 1:

Capt Juan - I was kidding, I don't have any special reason... besides, the brown is a spray can...

Dorn's Fist - Thanks muchly...

Well I have tried basing the chest eagles with red... not convinced, looks too much like the imperial fists to me... I'm thinking Bone will work better to be honest. Especially as all the blood drops will be red. Need to try and keep the palette bright but I think the vivid colours (like red) should be spot colours only to stop them looking like an explosion in a paint factory.

Of course we'll see how things play out...

PJ1933 - cheers...

More to come tomorrow.

Update in post 1.

I went for Bone for the chest eagles just like in Codex: BA, as much as that grates with my artistic temperament, it does work...

MNONE: I'm not sure where the purple came from, never seen them with purple chest eagles, plus with my scheme they would look too garish... A bit of brightness looks good, too much and it can ruin a model...

Just have to mission it tomorrow evening after work and maybe I'll have them done for saturday... (crosses fingers)

Sugar-free: Thanks, my feelings exactly. They do stand out but don't clutter the model, which is exactly what I wanted given the huge amount of detail on these models.

Debauchery101: Thank you, I did wonder about putting something on the fists, not necessarily more checks, but in the end I'm glad I didn't as, again, I feel it would have overly cluttered the models. If I were doing normal terminators without all the extra details then yes, extra checks would be a pretty good idea.

Right, 8 hours of work to put up with then time to get these done...

Laterz...

I'm loving the models so far!

Just wondering though, on the white does it come out naturally dirty with the brown washes? I'm thinking of using your recipe for white work I will have to be doing. Also could you explain what you mean by doing a shading wash with the Devlin Mud?

Slyen: Shading wash = wash into the shadows/recesses only. The dirtiness in the white is helped by the washes, but also the fact that pure white is only used as the edge highlight. The checked areas actually recieved another charadon granite wash after the checks were done but before highlighting to smooth out the inevitable corrections I had to make along the way.

RamrodMC: Thanks, Hopefully I'll get them finished tonight... Will probably post finished pics here (rather than the HoH) tomorrow so I can get good natural light.

Laterz...

Edit: sodding work computers... accidentally published this post 5 times. [to Mods: I can't seem to delete the duplicates (now changed to "Oops") and would be appreciative if you could prune them for me, thank you.]

Very impressive and I love your yellow.

Perhaps another consideration for starting with a brown base (for yellow) is that it provides a softer base for the yellow to lie on. I don't know if this was your intent, but I do prefer softer, less contrast, not quite as bright schemes as I feel they look less toy-like.

I think you've done an excellent job of capturing this feel. Whether you really know what you're doing or just following your instincts, do keep on your current path. You're doing a marvelous job.

Cheers,

Well, first off entered and won the competition. However the models are now on display, I'll try and get some good pics tomorrow.

Honda: I like to think I know what I'm doing, I thought the brown would work for the reasons you said. I'm pleased with the yellow given the lack of any actual yellow.

Laterz...

Apologies, I didn't want to infer that you didn't know what you're doing, you obviously do. I sort of meant to infer, some people like to, or have to, figure it out as they go, some people know what they want and make it happen.

I found myself in the former position for my army, as I knew how I wanted it to look, I just didn't know how I was going to get there. Eventually I figured it out and everything was golden. But it was an exercise in discovery.

I believe that you do know how to get where you want to go and how to get there...and quite marvelously at that. Your talents are obvious.

Also congrats on the win!

Cheers,

I managed to get the pics...

Honda: I find that I know what I want to achieve and I'm generally willing to have a go with something new and see how it works out... The brown undercoat was like this, I understood the theory and just needed to see if it worked in practice and it did... Always more fun to experiment than follow a guide.

Laterz...

Archived