spraypaint or spraygun

Warpten

I'm want to basecoat my blood angle models a lot quicker than i'm doing right now. ( espacially land raiders and stromravens ;)

So i was wondering if anyone is the using the GW spray gun with bloodred for basecoat or secondary coat.

In my local GW store they told me the spraygun was only suitable for foundation paints

Or do you use some kind of spray paint?

what i'm doing now is basecoat of chaos black , then mechrite red, and several coats of blood red.

I live in the Netherlands so it would be convenient that I can buy items in my own country ;)

I'm looking forward to any tips and experiences any on you might have

Two quick easy choices are:

Prime Black with GW Spray

Apply Blood Red or Mech Red via Spray Gun (GW)

Wash with wash color of choice (I generally use red)

Touch up area's where the wash pooled with Blood or Mech red.

Paint the rest of your mini.

Or you could use Army Painter Primer

-Clean model

-Prime with AP primer either Pure Red or Dragon Red depending on preference

-Apply wash as desired

-Touch up

Personally I'd prefer to use Option 1... because I have poor performance out of Army Painter's primer but other people swear by it.

Aerosol Spray paint is going to be the easiest (see Army Painter)... I have several legit Airbrushes that I use for everything now; but the learning curve and startup costs are extensive.

The GW flamer Spray-gun is absolute junk! ...search for it on Dakka for example and you will find story after story of frustration and anger.

Aerosol Spray paint is going to be the easiest (see Army Painter)... I have several legit Airbrushes that I use for everything now; but the learning curve and startup costs are extensive.

The GW flamer Spray-gun is absolute junk! ...search for it on Dakka for example and you will find story after story of frustration and anger.

The start up cost can be controlled though, my first airbrush and compressor came from airbrushcity.com They are a discount retailer, for someone just starting out their prices are great, I think I got a dual action brush and compressor for under 100$, considering that the current brush I use now costs more than my initial investment I would say that is pretty reasonable. The learning curve can be a bit steep, but if your just going to basecoat stuff, it hsould be easy and straight forward.

Ashton

I'm want to basecoat my blood angle models a lot quicker than i'm doing right now. ( espacially land raiders and stromravens :D

So i was wondering if anyone is the using the GW spray gun with bloodred for basecoat or secondary coat.

In my local GW store they told me the spraygun was only suitable for foundation paints

Or do you use some kind of spray paint?

what i'm doing now is basecoat of chaos black , then mechrite red, and several coats of blood red.

I live in the Netherlands so it would be convenient that I can buy items in my own country :)

I'm looking forward to any tips and experiences any on you might have

I've tried the Army Painter sprays, and they are nice but are quite costly.

Here's the method I use for doing a deep blood red:

Prime with a red-brown flat primer (Krylon sells a "Ruddy Brown" primer, that's what I use)

Heavy drybrush with Mechrite Red

Line highlight with a brighter red, like Red Gore

1 light wash with Ogryn Flesh

2 light washes with Baal Red

I'd suggest this on a couple of test models before doing a vehicle, but I've been VERY happy with both the speed and the results.

I use spray paint.

Belton Molotow (pronounced Molotov) is a German paint used by professional grafitti/street artists. It is of very high quality and the ammount of colours offered by Belton is just amazing. (About 15-20 different shades of red)

I prime with black then spray Tornado red for a dark red effect.

Primed with white then sprayed with Tornado red gives a much brighter red.

I spray most of my stuff while still in the sprue.

The only problem I have is that it can become difficult to glue things once it's painted.

Avoid GW spray gun thing. I got a paint leak between gun and paint cup, air propeller can gets cold when using the spray gun, causing pressure variations impacting end result, and the air propeller can gets empty very very fast. Good point is it's cheap, so you're not too disappointed when it goes to trash bin...

Here's my advice : Avoid it !

I spray undercoat with GW Chaos Black then use Army Painter Dragon Red. I'm looking at getting an airbrush but, for now, it's better than the GW Spray Gun. I compared experiences with both in a blog post;

http://rebelsgrotto.blogspot.com/2010/11/a...-spray-gun.html

That might help, if you do go with AP, have a little practice on am old model first - it works differently than GW's sprays.

I found the GW spray gun rather nifty to start with. I primed black and used the spray gun to basecoat Scab Red, I got a nice even coat that I couldn't do with a brush.

The snag.

The propellent runs out so fast mine lasted long enough to basecoat a tank and 5 marines. Don't want to fork out for cans at that rate of expenditure.

Invest in airbrush and compressor. Airbrush is better then a rattle can. It’s an investment and will pay off in the long run.

The problem with propellant cans is that it is a compressed cylinder, with use they get cold and lose pressure. Old school was to have a couple cans on hand and swap them out as each ‘froze up’ and you lost pressure. People have even used inner tubes as an air supply tank. High speed is a CO2 or N2 tank. The compressor means you don’t run out of air shortly after all the stores have closed. ^_^ Just remember to use a water trap with a compressor, then if you go big on a compressor and tank system use an regulator too.

The spray ‘flamer’ is just a cheap POS single stage airbrush. For a little bit more you can get a quality single stage that will last for years and years.

The draw back over rattle cans is the time to thin and mix paints compared to the cost of rattle cans and the limited colors.

In 45+ years of scale modeling I’ve been using an airbrush for over 30 of them. Have an old Badger 350 single (bought in 1976) for base coats and a Paasche two stage general and detail work. There is a real learning curve for a two stage; practice, practice, practice.

Anger and frustration over the GWS airbrush? Its bloody cheap and does the job. I honestly don't know what people expect.

I have base coated probably 200 models with mine and never had an issue. It makes the job quick and easy.

If you want to speed up the job then its a good choice.

Your best bet is using a mechrite red for base coating, otherwise you need HEAPS of layers of the normal reds to do the same.

A single layer of blood red over the top will then clean up the look.

Its a good choice if you want to speed up the basics of your painting.

I don't know about the RAL, but here's another satisfied Fanatic Army Painter customer. I use their Pure Red for my BA, their Angel Green for my DA, and lots of other tones and I can tell you it's the easiest way if you're not seriously into airbrushing yet.

I own a nice airbrush with compressor, but it takes much longer to simply prime models with and, of course, to clean it up afterwards.

Archived