DC or Honour Guard

Right so i have been running an honour guard for a while now in my twin raven list to pretty good effect. Their setup is as follows:

Novitiate

Honour Guard w/ BP+CCW

Honour Guard w/ Lightning Claw + SS

Honour Guard w/ Power Fist + SS

Honour Guard w/ Power Fist + SS

Total 240pts.

Now i have been thinking of scrapping them and trying to run a 10 man DC as a sort of Berzerker like unit, I.E no chaplain just let them charge and kill stuff. What i was thinking of doing was:

5 x Death Company w/ BP+CCW

3 x Death Company w/ Bolters

1 x Death Company w/ Power Weapon + BP

1 x Death Company w/ Power Fist + Bolter

Total again 240pts.

I think that the DC will hit a lot harder and put out a shed load more attacks than the HG. My only problem is rage and wondering if the DC or the HG will do more for me in the long run.

The rest of the list is:

Meph

2 x Furioso's w/ Extra Armour, Blood Talons

Sanguinary Priest w/ Jump Pack

Assault Squad w/ Fist, 2 Meltaguns

Assault Squad w/ Hammer, 2 Meltaguns

2 x Storm Ravens w/ Extra Armour, Melta, Assault Cannons.

You already got one Sang Priest so perhaps the DC might be better. Personally I would trim off a few points here and there and drop a few DC members and try to include that Chaplin. He really turns the DC into meat mincers.

You could turn one of your Furiosos into a DC dread and save some points and three DC. In total you lose DC but can gain the Chaplin and his DC enhancing abilities.

Regular Furiouso Dreads should have the Frag Cannon as their standard gear. I'd do that to one and change the other to DC Dread with Magna-grapple and Talons. IMO, 5 DC with Chaplain hit harder than 5 HG unless you equip them with TH & SS., which would obviously allow them to survive PW attacks, but would also cost more.

i do love me some honour guard with shields and power weapons they hit with a brick and have a free priest.

i like the idea of death company as well. i would drop lamartes and run a normal chappy they you save on the cost of jump packs and can give you some more death company and maybe a power weapon or two

I would say definetley go DC.

- They are better in cc, plus i feel they go with the fluff of BA's more.....how can you have a BA force with out some DC ???

On a DC note:

- what is the standard all around DC buil that people like to use? or i guess what are some DC builds that people like sense there probably isnt a standard?

- I use:

10 Death Company

- Hand Flamer, Infernus Pistol, Power Fist, 3 Power Swords

- Mounted in a Land Raider Redeemer with my Reclusiarch in termy armour.

HB66

I would lean towards Death Company a little in this case, though it is a close game. Honour Guard are not bound by Rage and are great at shooting and melee, as they can carry meltas and generally have a very high quaility melee with a additional Feel no Pain bubble. though the bubble they provide is limited in a Stormraven list anyway due to the Deathstar nature and is largely why you take honour guard, so you have a San Priest that can't be singled out and is a solid unit that can deal high quality wounds.

Death Company are very much rough and ready though, more wounds means more resistance from lower quaility attacks and the bubble effect is not really as treasured as before. They will hurt and be hard to hurt, ideal for tarpitting, though power weapons make them cry.

380-480 Wound-centric Lemmie SR builds.

Each build has 'AP2 wound dumps' of individual cheaper models*. Once losses are taken, 3 of 4 of them will still have new and obvious 'dumps'. I didn't bother listing squads with no wargear for 'budget' as that'd be obviously pointless. And yip, I like boltguns on DC for a backup usage of the unit.

uber JP

Lemmie

DC PW, BP*

DC PW, Boltgun*

DC PW, Infernus

DC PF, Boltgun

DC TH, Boltgun

budget JP

lemmie

DC PW, BP

DC HandF/infernus, chainsword

DC TH, Boltgun

DC Boltgun*

DC BP, Chainsword*

380/385

uber infantry

lemmie

DC PW, BP

DC PW, Boltgun

DC PW, Infernus

DC PF, Boltgun

DC TH, Boltgun

DC Boltgun x3

DC BP, Chainsword*

DC Infernus, Chainsword

budget Infantry

Lemmie

DC PW, BP

DC HandF, chainsword*

DC TH, Boltgun

DC Boltgun x 6

DC BP, Chainsword*

oo... see you liked my quote regarding the librarian dreadnought:P

Anyways I run 6 DC with lemartes...one of them have a powerfist... They charge out of a drop pod together with a DC dreadnought

And I must say... with lemartes striking at I7 He'll take care of a big portion of a terminator squad even if he isn't wounded(he'll most likely kill 5 termies solo if he's down one wound)... So the points invested in another power weapon are kinda wasted (imo ofc)

the 5 deathcompany guys with reroll to hit and wound will generate an awesome amount of wounds ( 15-20) and that will kill the bigger part of a ork mob, Bring down monstrous creatures or finnish whatever lemartes didn't kill when it comes to TDA / power armour.

the power fist is mostly there so they won't get tied up with a walker that they can't kill.

As a "kill stuff" unit i'd take a death company over anything else... just make sure you have other stuff to kill transport veichles/stuff that can kite away your deathcompany.

Looking at the rest of the list (2 lightning claw dreads and two full Assault Squads) you have plenty of anti infantry/ horde killyness already, which is what the DC also excell at. The DC look too redundant for your list to me, while the 3++ saves and multiple power fists make that honor guard something different and better for certain targets.

I think you'd actually be best off with an Assault Termie squad in there, probably 2 LCs and 3 TH/SS guys for 215 points. That's cheaper than what you are using now and every body has a ++ save. More killy and more resilient. You could even throw in a bog standard priest (probably go with 3 LCs then) and it would only run you 260 points.

Don't get me wrong, I love DC, but I think you need some fists/T.hammers and some ++ saves to go after the big nasty targets you wouldn't throw a RAS at.

Thanks for the replies lads!

@ Red Fury, Termies were the first thing i tried with this list but i have found that the second furioso did a lot more than them. I ran the termies as 1LC, 4 TH/SS with an attached priest.

The reason why i wanted to swap the HG was because i don't actually need the priest but he was always handy. If i could i would like to find the 50pts to get them Jump Packs which would make them a better. I could drop the normal priest in place of the Jump Packs but then i would leave my 2 assault squads without FnP when they drop.

Archived