Single model units

dannygravestones

OK, as a new BA player, I have some questions about some HQ choices, specificly Mephiston and the Sanguinor. I notice that both of these characters are not listed as independant characters. How does this work? Can they join a squad? can they get in another squads transport? can they always be targeted? Is there anything else I need to know? Comments greatly appreciated....

OK, as a new BA player, I have some questions about some HQ choices, specificly Mephiston and the Sanguinor. I notice that both of these characters are not listed as independant characters. How does this work?

Can they join a squad? - No

can they get in another squads transport? - No, unless they are the only unit in the transport

can they always be targeted? - Yes, within the usual LoS restrictions

Is there anything else I need to know? Comments greatly appreciated....

Something that came up in another thread was ICs and single model units. Namely, I'm 99% positive that they cannot be joined by ICs. However, I don't have a page reference for that as my book is packed away. I don't suppose I could ask a kind B&Cer to verify that for me? Pretty please?

Essentially the answer is no to the first questions, unless a model has independent character, it cannot join a squad . For the second i would tentatively say yes, but i think they wear jumppacks and i don't believe jump infantry can embark transports, needless to say they could not embark a transport unless it was empty. For the last question, Yes they can always be targeted as long as the enemy has LOS.

Wildfire is correct; per the IC rules in the BRB, an IC cannot join a unit that always consists of one model...so an IC can't join with Mephiston.

Something else to note: Mephiston and the Sanguinor are both infantry, and as infantry they get cover saves when other infantry units are in the way. Not so useful for Sanguinor in most cases, but Meph has no invulnerable save, so burying him in the middle of a tactical squad or assault squad means he'll have a 4+ cover at need.

Something that came up in another thread was ICs and single model units. Namely, I'm 99% positive that they cannot be joined by ICs. However, I don't have a page reference for that as my book is packed away. I don't suppose I could ask a kind B&Cer to verify that for me? Pretty please?

pg 48 2nd sentence.

"They cannot... blablah... or units that always consist of a single model."

ergo

meph, no

techmarine, yes.

pg 48 2nd sentence.

ergo

meph, no

techmarine, yes.

Actually, in the BA codex, the techmarine does not have the IC rule. If he starts the game without any servitors, he's a one-model unit and always will be for the game. No IC can join him either.

pg 48 2nd sentence.

ergo

meph, no

techmarine, yes.

Actually, in the BA codex, the techmarine does not have the IC rule. If he starts the game without any servitors, he's a one-model unit and always will be for the game. No IC can join him either.

Wow, thats lame. Sucks for them, I wonder why they did that?

Wow, thats lame. Sucks for them, I wonder why they did that?

Although I can't say for sure, I have my suspicions. Firstly, the Sanguine Priest buff: with a servo-harness, the techmarine is a 2+ save, I5 S5 power weapon + S9 servo-harness light infantry shredding machine. He's only got one wound, sure, but that 2+ and all those pre-MEQ init attacks...he's like a small chunk of tactical squad all himself. Not to mention his more mundane application...as an IC the techmarine could ride around with your terminators or what-have-you in Land Raiders and that epic Storm Raven, fixing it as it takes hits. The vanilla codex can do this, sure (in fact, I often did have a techmarine/MotF in my lists for this very reason) but the Vanilla codex doesn't get Sanguine Priests/Blood Chalices.

There are a lot of weird things that the BA codex gave up as trade offs for what they gained (captains have fewer options and can't take digital weapons or artificier armor, relic blades were replaced by really lame substitutes, no more TFC, no more Honor Guards and Command Squads renamed to "Honour Guard") but the asserted reason is balance: they got the Sanguine Priest buff, hand-flamers/meltas, and some interesting new units (Sanguine Guard, Death Company, Meph, Sanguinor, etc.).

It's all in the name of balance, or so I believe.

EDIT: Naturally the tech-marine's servo-harness attacks are resolved at I1. <3

pg 48 2nd sentence.

ergo

meph, no

techmarine, yes.

So if he has a servitor then he can be joined by an IC? Or is it because he has the option of not being a single model, then he can be joined by an IC. If its the first, what happens if the servitor dies?

The rule says 'always'. As a techmarine can elect to have servitors, he's not 'always' a unit of one, ergo he can have ICs attached even if bought alone.

indeed, it is the same reason a prime or parasite of mortrex can join a lone carnifex (and thus use the 50% rule to provide them with infantry style cover saves)

Archived