Japanese Space Marines

HarasinCreed

So after finishing my pre-heresy marines(ill put some photos up soon) for battle cry and then getting demolished i decided i should start my Chaos Space Marine army.

So it is going to be based around Samurai warriors and dragons. Yes the two most cheesy things you can have in an army but hay i have not seen it done before so its original in my book.

So the beginning of the first marine.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9152/img2210a.jpg

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6236/img2211za.jpg

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/3384/img2212u.jpg

The helmet looks better in reality. The arm position will be changed and i am debating weather or not to do Platemail shoulder pads or the normal SM ones. Also if anyone knows how to make samuria swords if would appreciate it if you could tell me.

Edmund

It actually has been done before (no need to feel bad, there are no new ideas it seems :HQ: ) but don't let that stop you. One thing I'd like to humbly recommend, if you're up for it. People have done Samurai SM as just astartes with katanas and flags on their backs, but no one plays to the mounted nature of samurai. A Samurai Biker army....that I'd almost pay to see :P

At any rate, looks like a good start on the sculpting.

I actually came into this thread expecting tentacles.

:P Slanneshii Samurai.

Although that did light a bulb in my head.

I reckon once you have your swords and design sorted and your first few squads knocked out it would be pretty epic if you got a LR Redeemer and one of those salamander style conversion kits and named it Godzilla! ;)

Would work even better with a Black and Green colour scheme :lol:

I expected some marines with stupidly big swords and anime hair...thank god there aren't any here.

I expected some marines wearing womans underwear with manga in one hand and noodles in the other!

But more seriously I'm looking forward to seeing one of these guys painted up! Are you just sticking to Samurai or might you do other things like Ninpo scouts and Yamabushi Chaplain!

The helmet looks pretty good from where I am sitting. I vaguely remember some Japanese themed marines about 5 years ago but they weren't as converted as this guy looks.

Looking forward to more

Thanks

I expected some marines wearing womans underwear with manga in one hand and noodles in the other!

But more seriously I'm looking forward to seeing one of these guys painted up! Are you just sticking to Samurai or might you do other things like Ninpo scouts and Yamabushi Chaplain!

I do not know what Ninpo scouts and Yamabushi are and im going to be using the Chaos Marine codex so cant take either thing anyway

Slanneshii Samurai.

Although that did light a bulb in my head.

I reckon once you have your swords and design sorted and your first few squads knocked out it would be pretty epic if you got a LR Redeemer and one of those salamander style conversion kits and named it Godzilla!

Would work even better with a Black and Green colour scheme

I will be doing a green and black scheme as to the Landraider etc i will not be using one here is the list and things i will be doing to each.

HQ

Demon Prince with Wings, Mark of Slaanesh and Winds of Chaos-165pts

I will be making a Dragon and rider

Chaos Lord with Demon weapon and Mark of Khorne-140pts

Elites

10 Possessed Marines with Mark of Khorne and Rhino-325pts

Building wings and dragon faces on to each guy and having them breath fire

Troop

8 Khorne Bezerkers with Skull Champion with Power Fist and Rhino -243pts

8 Khorne Bezerkers with Skull Champion with Power Fist and Rhino -243pts

8 Khorne Bezerkers with Skull Champion with Power Weapon and Rhino -233pts

These guys will be the Samuria Warriors

Heavy Support

2 Oblitorators-150pts

2 Oblitorators-150pts

Possibly true scaling marines into giant samuria with chainguns like the ones off Sucker Punch

Fast Attack

5 Bikers with 2 Meltas and Chaos Glory Icon-195pts

Getting cold ones and mounting bikers on each on with long helberds

Howling Banshee swords look like they'd make pretty cool katana.

I wish you luck with this tricky proposition

Only prob is i want Samuria swords not Katanas but thanks for the idea i think i will have to build them out of plasitc card.

Wow big response ill try and get more done tonight

Ed

I reckon once you have your swords and design sorted and your first few squads knocked out it would be pretty epic if you got a LR Redeemer and one of those salamander style conversion kits and named it Godzilla! :)

Or Gojira as he's known in Japan ;)

Will be watching with interest ;)

But the Samurai all had Katana's, as they were the only warriors allowed to carry the Katana and Wakisashi or Long and Short pair.

You cannot have Samurai without Katana's!

I have to agree with this as I had a hunt about for another sword that was more relevant but the Katana was the one that made a Samurai what he was as it was presented to him on his 15 birthday as a symbol of becoming man and a warrior. Wikipedia is agreat place to start for any sort of quick research and normaly my first stop if I get asked for anything out of the norm when starting a commission project. Samurai Marines are cool and even some of the great mini painters have done them Victoria Lamb for instance so your in good company ;) .

As to the how to make swords the plasticard method would get my vote and as there were some spare bits sat on my desk I bodged one together and its very easy. I used some plasticard sheet that was of a reasonable width this was carved in to a gentle sweeping shape and a blade edge was made by cutting an angle to it end to end this was then refined using 600 grit sand paper. make a hilt and stick the blade to it. for the arm I used the token arm with grenade that I seem to have loads because I only ever use it if cuting it up to make something good out of it! I trimmed the top of the grenade away and glued the hilt with the blade atached to it. for the tang I simply used plastic tube and made sure to angle it so it matches the curve of the blade, this can then have green stuff aplied to get the desired effect.

gallery_58523_5677_223253.jpg

gallery_58523_5677_74373.jpg

Hope this is of use to you :)

Update yay

So practically finished up my first samurai warrior. This is just the test model the real ones will have way better quality modelling and ill make the sword for real and wont use a DA shield.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/5207/img2237w.jpg

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4825/img2238t.jpg

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/5937/img2240q.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5830/img2241q.jpg

C&C welcome

Also for the sword what thickness plastic card and rod did you use.

Ed

Glad it was of use :D after all in my ninja form it was a project that grabed my atention, the sizes I give below are not on a packet as it was a quickie made

out of scraps on my desk last night ;)

for the blade and hilt .020'' Evergreen plasticard ( at least thats what the calipers are telling me! )

for the tang .045'' Evergreen plastic rod

the only thing that worries me with this is the actual strength of the sword after it is put together, you could use a pin made of thin florists wire and increse the blade width but you would lose some of the look of the Katana and the strengthening pin gives you less area for glue.

I've seen on another samurai thread that the person cliped the handels off of lego katana's and used a GW marine holding a hilt/handle for a replacement. No shaping or carving required and the lego sword is about the same anime/heroic scale weapons.

To make them more Chaos like, they should all have helmet crests instead of horns. I believe elves or some other race in the GW's fantasy warhammer game have helmet crests.

http://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/dark-elf-cold...uot-p-2862.html

If this link is violating forum rules I will remove it immediatly.

Chapterhousestudios.com sell banded shoulder pads in their mechanus/preheresy line.

• 2 months later...

Archived