Sniper Scouts

Br.Pat

I have around 200 points left to spend in my list and I'm undecided of where to spend it. Is a unit of 10 with a camo cloaks any good as an objective holder?

My 1500 pt list is as follows:

Librarian:

TA+SS

5 Assault Terminators with SS

With dedicated LRC + multi-melta

2 x Tactical Squads with 10 men each, Power Fist, Flamer, Multi-Melta and Rhino

Vindicator

Whirlwind

I feel the list is pretty well rounded with a decent amount of AT, AI, ranged and cc elements (however it's a little more on the assault side).

This gives me around 200 points to spend anywhere I see fit. Seeing as my list is more CC orientated I was thinking of having a scout squad with camo cloaks to soak up damage and guard objectives. Do you think that:

a) First of all my list actually needs a unit the fills this role

b ) If yes, would the unit of 10 scouts be good for this?

c) If not, where would you spend the 200 points?

I love sniper scouts. Combat squad them, place them on any objective in cover, enjoy the 3+ saves.

Not to mention pinning tests, being able to glance AV 12 and penetrate AV 11 (with lots of luck, but still), wounding high toughness models on a 4+ always (Hello Daemon Prince).

Missile Launchers are always pretty helpful too, or Heavy Bolters.

They're great objective holders, and they have some pretty long range anti-personnel / weak anti-armour supportive fire.

I always take them.

If you have the minis I say go for it! I use a small force in my 500 point list and I plan to add Telion to them as they get bigger. I also tack on an ML to them to keep the enemy armor honest. This unit is good enough with what they do that your enemy will have to account for them and perhaps leave something else of yours alone for a turn while they do so.

I've used a small 5 man squad with camo cloaks and a heavy bolter before. At 100pts it's perfect as an objective holder. You go to ground, you get a 2+. And you haven't put many points into the holding of one objective.

However, your list is lacking serious long-ranged anti-tank, and you could also do with some melta. So instead I'd spend those points on either MM/HF Speeders or Typhoons, Rifleman Dreads, combi-preds, multi-melta attack bikes. Any of them would be better than some Scouts for objective holding IMO. Get all your bases covered, and if you have a spare 100pts then maybe chuck in a small Scout squad for objectives. As things stand, you haven't got all bases covered. Anti-tank in general is lacking, so get some long-ranged tank and meltas in, and you'll list will be looking healthier.

if you want to include snipers 200 points buys you ten with telion and a heavy, id say use the ML for telions VoE.. BS6 S8 missile, yes please

I second this. It's 200 points on the mark, and a BS6 krak missile is not that bad. Especially when you can turn around and start sniping at heavy weapons and sergeants.

Yes, I've calculated and I have exaclty 204 points left.

Although I have 3 meltas and one S10 pieplate, perhaps some more static anti tank would be in order. What do you guys suggest? A Rifleman Dread? A Predator Annhilator (which are overpriced imo)?

A Rifleman Dread is superior to a lascannon ML Dread in everything apart from AV13 or over. Just don't bother firing a Rifleman at AV13 and 14. But that's not its job, its job is to knock out transports, and for that a Rifleman is perfect. Plus it's cheaper than the LC/ML Dread, which is a bonus. Where it isn't cheaper, though, is money, as you must convert it or buy Forge World part, as there are no autocannon in the box.

The Pred Annihilator is overpriced, but the combi-pred is a better option. Comes in at 45pts cheaper, and still does the job. The autocannon may not look like matching the lascannons, but it really does. With the new vehicle damage tables lascannons were no longer the killers of high armour that they were, that job is now left to melta. However, lascannons, due to their high strength, are fantastic at knocking out light vehicles, which is what the autocannon does. With this set up you have 4 shots, and the ability to punch through armour that the Rifleman cannot. And for 5pts cheaper and a better front armour!. The drawbacks? You can't move and fire everything, unlike the Rifleman, and none of your shots are twin-linked. My rolls are normally awful so I benefit greatly from the twin-linkage of a Rifleman Dread ;). Of course, the combi-pred comes with all its parts in the box, so no need to convert or buy extra things.

And if we're talking about looks, the Rifleman wins hands down every time IMO :).

I have decided on the Mis/Las combo... simply because whilst still being very effective at knocking out transports, they are also able to destroy medium armour. It's also more effective against heavy infantry because of the lower AP value. I've also just finished modelling an awesome looking dreadnaught with the above configuration. Thanks for all the advice :P

Archived