Stormraven - MiniThunderhawkish

Rinion

Yes yes, this is another Stormraven WIP thread! Theyre cropping up all over the place!

I've had my two since a little before release, but i wasnt sure what to do with them, they always looked a little odd to me, and i wanted them to be wonderful. I've never worked with Plasticard before, and was very reluctant to risk such a costly model! But after seeing other topics, and some persuasion by my partner, i decided to grow a pair and start working away!

I decided to look around a little and combine ideas from other people's conversions, photoshops or general ideas, and i think i've ended up with something that to me, looks great, at least in overall aesthetic (since my plasticard skillz are shoddy).

Theres not so many WIP pics, as it's nearly done, but i'd love some C&C on this! Thanks

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa146/Rinion87/Warhammer/StormravenFront.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa146/Rinion87/Warhammer/StormravenFrontSide1.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa146/Rinion87/Warhammer/StormravenRearSide2.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa146/Rinion87/Warhammer/StormravenSide1.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa146/Rinion87/Warhammer/StormravenRearSide1.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa146/Rinion87/Warhammer/StormravenTop1.jpg

I'm adding my massively impressed 5 cents to the mix.

It really does look more like a smaller version, and off mod to a thunderhawk which I really reply, I love the tail too and the wings I think are in the perfect position. the only TINY comment that I'd suggest, IF you fee like spicing it up a LITTLE more, is the assault cannons on top I think might look better if they were more like the Forgeworld Tarantula style ones? but that might just be me.

Shadow

Personaly, I don't see any thing wrong with your plasticard skills.

Great job, I think your hull looks great. The only things I would do different is to eliminate the tail section (maby a pair of verticul stabalisers over the engins or at the end of the wings) and moved the assault cannons to the underside.

Eather way, yours looks wonderfull.

I like the extension work you've done and your plaisticard work is fine, but your choice of placement for the turret makes it look even more impractical than on the original model. It looks like it'd tear the engine housing apart in a flurry of shells if it turned mid fire.

You sir are a talented plastic surgeon and have made G.Ws horrible flying toaster in to a truly awsome looking machine that will look fantastic painted, the rivets are an important part to any imperial vehicle and easily made from the beads contained in a water filter ( you can pick up replacement filters from tesco for £5 and the beads inside will last you for a lifetime of conversion work ).

Thats how the original should be!! Great work, you havent spoiled those coslty models at all!

One thing makes some noise to me, the blind section in the cockpit, I dont think its really necessary. It gives me the impression it hinders the pilots visibilty...

Thanks for all the positive feedback! Glad to see that others like what i've done to the budgie!

Wing palcement seems well reveived aswell! I've seen some that are a bit further back or forward, as well as some wonky things done with the tail. If anyone is interested, it's extended by exactly 3 inches.

Turrent placement also, while not exactly practical in a real sense, i think thats the best place for it, the idea was to balance it out, rather than have everything squished at the front like the original.

@Wayward, the idea with the blind section thing on the cockpit was for several reasons, first, as with all vehicles, they arent scaled properly, so any external or visible crew look odd to me, and i think painting the window black looks bad. So i took the idea from this photoshop (No idea who the artist is, sorry) as one of the many inspirations for mine.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2241/stormraven4f.jpg

As for rivets, yes, they'd help a ton! But thats where my skill ends for now i think, i've no idea how to do them properly. I'm trying to find some 1mm balls/beads or something easy.

All your pics are belonging to us now...

I'm not sold on the turret placement, but it looks wonderful regardless. What you've done with the model is basicly everything I want to do with mine, when I get one or two. Keep up with the good work and I for one would love a tutorial if you do another.

Is it legal to sell conversion kits like this? If so, it would be a cheap way to earn a few bucks from the untalented/inexperinced people who don't fool around with plasticard.

All your pics are belonging to us now...

I'm not sold on the turret placement, but it looks wonderful regardless. What you've done with the model is basicly everything I want to do with mine, when I get one or two. Keep up with the good work and I for one would love a tutorial if you do another.

Is it legal to sell conversion kits like this? If so, it would be a cheap way to earn a few bucks from the untalented/inexperinced people who don't fool around with plasticard.

Agreed!!!! :P

Hey nice work! I am in the middle of converting mine as well, also going off the same picture for inspiration done by DV8 originally. I have the nose and cockpit done, magnetized the meltas into the same place too.

The body extension you did looks really great! The only thing that looks funny to me is the tail, it looks too long (too far out from the body). That, and it looks upside down to me, I cut mine off and flipped it rightside up.

Nice work on the back end. The added bulk really helps. Personally, I think I'd have shortened the tail boom at the end, but still very nice. :)

Hey nice work! I am in the middle of converting mine as well, also going off the same picture for inspiration done by Xeones originally.

Fixed that for ya' ;)

As for rivets, yes, they'd help a ton! But thats where my skill ends for now i think, i've no idea how to do them properly. I'm trying to find some 1mm balls/beads or something easy.

If you would like I can post you a step by step for the water filter method cause its cheap as chips and well easy to do plus you will never have to pay/worry about putting rivets on things as there are litteraly thousands of the plastic beads ranging in size from 0.25mm to 2mm in one filter.

I'm loving it. Now if only I could get off my lazy bum and attempt the same.

Though one thing I don't understand is the dorsal mount, wouldn't it make more sense to mount the guns on the wings? Don't have the kit, so I don't know how feasible that is... but it just seems to make sense to me.

The problem with the turret placement is that it loses clearance because of the wings. If it were a bit further forward, so that it sat on the main body's midway point, it would have clearance, and also not seem quite so odd (it seems to be currently sitting in the midway point of the whole model rather than just the body).

Now that's exactly what I've planned to do with this kit. Can't wait to lay my own hands on a stormraven. And remember: if you will not place those awesome hurricane bolters under model's wings, you will be forever damned by the Empeeror!

Archived