Using Scouts

BloodWulf

IF you have ever played 400pt Combat portal wait till you try it with only using scouts on a 4x4 board. Not only does the LSS and 3 man bike unit control ever aspect of the game they can if set up right with 2 scout squad with powerweapons and heavy weapons ... So amazing. Even if you keep the LSS as a HB you can stay still possibly and lay down 6HB shots with a team inside plus possible bolter fire.

In larger games I see scouts in two ranges of applications. Delay or Sitting on objectives.

IF you going with the need of delaying enemy movement or distraction... Use the scouts with bolters/shoty/CCW teams because they can at least fire on the move.

Objective teams need to be-able to burrow down and take heavy fire. Safest place to snag objectives out on the side of the table where no conflict is or far enough where only the last turn will the enemy be forced to find how difficult it is to remove you from your position.

Other than the typical Scouts... Bikers are a rarity that should be more common then they are, once you give them a few trials and using AGL you'll find rapid fire blast weapons with possible add from a ranged team in the back of the map as the most satisfying moment.

LSS are at the moment to me upsetting every time I look at the BS 3... WHYYYYYYY but over all they are what they are.

See I'd quite like a versatile and cheap all-round squad to go and take out varying targets depending on the enemy. For instance against mech enemies they could pose a threat and take out larger tanks, saving my other weapons for other targets and against shooting enemies they could move in and punch up exposed backliner squads or as a general use, take out weakened enemies and support my advance or grab objectives late game..

This is exactly what my squad is tasked to do. Heavy flamer, powerfist, bp/ccw scouts, combiflamer if the points are there. Ideally,(and I have done this several times) you will be able to outflank and get a combi charge on a tank and accompanying infantry. For example, last time I flamed a firewarrior squad, bolt pistoled it, then charged them and the hammerhead next to them. Powerfist and a crack grenade or two on the hammerhead, 2-3 scouts whaling into the firewarriors. If you are lucky, the tanks dies and the firewarriors pass their break test; you are safe from being shot at (except for the ride of course). At worst, you have a dead tank and a dead/run down/mauled and fleeing firwarrior squad and two units in the opponents backline he must turn to deal with.

Other times, a 10 ork unit with nob and claw holding a home objective. By the time flamers have finished there isn't much left to fight back, with the -2 from the cerebus launcher, they are most likely running.

If you are likely to lose all you scouts before the powerfist swings, then you have picked the wrong target :(

Look at it this way; the oppponent knows you have a flanking unit that can put the hurt on armour and troops. He adjusts his deployment according to the threat, you have just limited his options. He ignores the threat, his units die.

I like my LSS and scouts. I just widh there were more FA slots...

RoV

Archived