Exorcists, daemonbane of the 13th founding

Iron Father Rik

Hi guys.

Been a few months since I've been on the B&C, due to pesky "real life" commitments, but now I'm back, and I've started work on a new Space Marine army for the October Throne of Skulls GT (I'm sticking with my Sons of Medusa for April as I don't have time to make a new army). I've created this wip thread to show off my project as it progresses, and hopefully get some useful feedback. Whilst I'm a fairly experienced painter, I've not had so much practice painting red, so this is a learning curve for me. I want this army to be painted to as high a standard as I can, without them taking hours to do each model as I have quite a busy life at the moment.

The army is part of a combined project with a few of the other guys in my team - the Caledonian Deathwatch - whereby we are doing a matching basing scheme of "swamps" and creating a joint display board for our armies. The other two guys are doing heavily converted Tau and Necron armies, and the three forces are going to be linked by a joint background story, that I won't go into here. Suffice to say that, as we are all doing, my force is going to have a few dead Necron and Tau throughout the army, either killed by my marines, or, in the case of the Necrons, emerging from the swamps beneath their feet to drag them down into the murk.

I've taken inspiration from Imperial Armour 10, and plan to have diamon cheque patters and warding runes on various panels on their armour plates.

Here are the first models I have constructed so far. 10 tactical marines, but not from any particular squad yet (as you can see from there being two sergeants). I am mixing in various armour marks from the Forge World kits with plastic parts - namely the Iron, Maximus and Heresy marks of armour, as well as some character conversion kits and Umbra Ferrox pattern bolt guns.

Let me know what you think guys.

Cheers!

The first 10 Exorcists:

gallery_27068_5806_37075.jpg

Sergeant one:

gallery_27068_5806_473537.jpg

Sergeant two:

gallery_27068_5806_832460.jpg

Close-up of sergeant two's power fist:

gallery_27068_5806_2390103.jpg

An immediate update now, with some painted pics. This is the first model I have tried to paint for the Exorcists. I chose a marine built almost entirely of plastic components, incase I messed it up. I think it has come out rather well, but let me know what you think. Of course, he isn't finished yet, so please don't point that out.

The first Exorcist:

gallery_27068_5806_334494.jpg

Close-up of warding runes:

gallery_27068_5806_2148793.jpg

Close-up of upper body:

gallery_27068_5806_700206.jpg

Die daemon scum!

gallery_27068_5806_1022260.jpg

Sound really cool, guess I'll need to step up my Iron Warriors return for the Oct Throne of Skulls then :) :lol:

Have you any plans for the object marker?? Just with the talk of the Necron rise from the ground, I done some pretty cool Necron object marker for my IW before being replace with Marines with Chaos Icon though them. Could make for some great dioram & conversion overall with your Marines & Necrons.

You said your going to the April ToS, just wanted to ask if it'd be the same lot as Nov?? I'll be there with my friend Scott (40k Doubles team mate) & with Space Wolves again. Some brand new models to add a little bit more theme, like a Dreadnought who ment to be a story teller having more partchment & purity seal for example. Add some honour from brillaint games I had since collect the Wolves in 2009.

Be keep a eye on this project, alway great to see army logs on the go with some brillaint idea behind them.

IP

@GooseDaMoose - Cheers! With the magnification of the photo I feel like it's showing up too many imperfections that aren't so noticeable on the mini, but then you always think that about your own work. This model isn't done yet, and is sort of the test model so I'll get new pictures up when he's finished - hopefully in the next few days.

@Generating Random Name... and Mr.Malevolent - Thanks very much. The runes will go over more of the armour, but won't be in the same places on all the models, and won't be on all armour plates. It'll be just like in Imperial Armour really, so I refer you to that for what I'm talking about, it'll give a better description.

@Insane Psychopath - Thanks! And it's great to hear that someone is taking an interest in my work like that. Yeah I do have ideas for the objective markers. I'm going to use a 40mm (terminator) base, and using milliput I'm going to make a large flat rock emerging from the swamp water, similar to what my marines are standing on. Into the rock will be inscribed summoning circles, possibly one with an 8 pointed star, and four with one for each god, and I'll surround that with the candles bitz pack. The idea being the Exorcists are wanting to capture the summoning circle before a daemon is summoned through it.

The Necron and Tau bits are more to add a little flavour and tie them in with my mates' (Eddie and Eoghainn - you know them IP), armies so they all look awesome arrayed together. I don't want to go too heavily into the Necron and Tau modelling as I want the Exorcist marines to still be the main focus, but they will be there. I have some cool ideas for my Ironclad Dreadnought (it's the FW one) and my Drop Pod models, so keep an eye out for them in the coming months. ;)

Also, @IP - Yeah I'm taking the same Sons of Medusa to April as I took to November. I don't know if you saw them then, but I am swapping out the command and combat element for something different, just to keep it a bit more interesting. I'll have to try to catch up with you at the GT this time.

With the magnification of the photo I feel like it's showing up too many imperfections that aren't so noticeable on the mini, but then you always think that about your own work.

I know what you mean, I get that a lot too, but screw it :tu: it definitely looks good even this magnified, so it probably looks great on the tabletop!

Archived