Infantry giving infantry cover.

Marshal Wilhelm

Greetings brethren,

This is from my post about Fenwolves in the SW Forum:

(Sigmund Hammerhand @ Feb 26 2011, 12:55 PM)

With the unit, more than half are getting a cover save. The minority are then screening a second unit.

Imagine a ring of Fenwolves around some Fangs. The Fangs get cover from the Wolves, but the Wolves also get cover from the Fangs.

Handy if you want to camp on top of a barren hill.

You are stopping ap1-3 shots from wrecking your Fangs and the Wolves will actually be getting a saving throw for once.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're getting at, I'd say you can't do that.

GW has clarified in the FAQ that "interwoven" units can't give each other a cover save, and even though your units aren't interwoven, they're still giving each other a cover save which is something GW wanted to stop from happening, so I'd argue that you can't do that.

Q: Who gets the 4+ cover save for intervening models

when two units are intermingled? (p21)

A: The unit with the model closest to the enemy that is

firing does not have a cover save.

I think the FAQ is addressing a checkerboard formation.

XOXOXOXO

OXOXOXOX

I am talking about

OOOO

OXXO

OXXO

OOOO

OOOO

Which unit is closest?

The majority of the Wolves are further away and not easily seen by the shooter, just like how regular cover works....

If a few people think that is what the FAQ is precluding, cool. I won't do it with my Broadsides and Kroot

+++

So is what I am doing 'illegal' according to the FAQ?

or is merely somewhat like what they are talking against, but not actually what they are talking against, and so I am free to do it and gain cover for both units?

Intermingled: To mix or become mixed together.

Separate: To keep apart or divide, as by an intervening barrier or space.

The FAQ does not just address checkerboarding, as there are many, many ways to become intermingled. Are the two units in your example entirely seperated? Nope, they are mixed together. Therefore, the closest unit (the O's) does not get a cover save.

OOOO

OXXO

OXXO

OOOO

OOOO

Which unit is closest?

The majority of the Wolves are further away and not easily seen by the shooter, just like how regular cover works.

Assuming that O= wolf and X= Long fang - then the wolves are clearly closer than the longfangs. So the wolves will give the LF's a cover save, but the LF's wont give the wolves a cover save.

I'd like to point out that also, assuming you are shooting at them from a direction perpendicular to one of the sides of that rectangular formation (and even then I don't think it will matter what direction you are shooting from), you will still see the majority of the "O" unit, as you will see the front rank and the models down the sides of the unit (remember, models in the same unit don't block line of sight or confer cover saves). Only a few models from the "O" unit will be hidden at the back behind the "X" unit models anyway. So it's a moot point as the "O" unit wouldn't get a cover save per normal cover rules anyway.

Archived