Skimmers moving flat out and vehicle damage table

Kaan

I've not played many games of the latest edition of 40K (was taking a break). In a recent game, there were some rules that were explained to me by folks at the GW store I was playing against that don't make sense. I've gone through the rulebook and can't find evidences to support their conclusions (which makes me wonder if these are "house rules".

1) They seem to be playing some form of "vehicle hit progression" on the vehicle damage table. For instance, if I had a vehicle and it suffered 3 shaken results, the vehicle should be shaken (supported by rule book). What they are saying is that the first is shaken, the second is stunned, the third is weapon destroyed (I can't find this in the rulebook anywhere)

2) If a vehicle is immobilized and all its weapons destroyed, my understanding of the rules is that shaken and stunned results do nothing, weapon destroyed and immobilized results are escalated to vehicle destroyed results. Is this correct?

3) The rules state that if a skimmer moved "flat out" in its previous turn, then if it is immobilized, it counts as destroyed. If a skimmer moves "flat out" on his turn and on my turn, I shoot it and immobilize it, is the skimmer immobilized or destroyed? The ruling I got at the store is that the "destroyed" result only happens on the skimmer owner's turn, thus if I immobilize the skimmer on my turn, then it isn't destroyed. I think they are confusing "phase" with "turn".

I realize these rulings seems "basic", but I wasn't sure if these have been amended/FAQ'd from my rulebook or if these are house rules.

Thanks!

I've not played many games of the latest edition of 40K (was taking a break). In a recent game, there were some rules that were explained to me by folks at the GW store I was playing against that don't make sense. I've gone through the rulebook and can't find evidences to support their conclusions (which makes me wonder if these are "house rules".

1) They seem to be playing some form of "vehicle hit progression" on the vehicle damage table. For instance, if I had a vehicle and it suffered 3 shaken results, the vehicle should be shaken (supported by rule book). What they are saying is that the first is shaken, the second is stunned, the third is weapon destroyed (I can't find this in the rulebook anywhere)

As per the rulebook, if you suffer multiples of any result, it is only that result that is applied, regardless of how often it happens. The exception to this is weapon destroyed and immobilised results, where if you suffer multiples of either they can then change to being the other, and ultimately turn into a vehicle destroyed result if you suffer enough of them. What you are describing here is a house rule.

2) If a vehicle is immobilized and all its weapons destroyed, my understanding of the rules is that shaken and stunned results do nothing, weapon destroyed and immobilized results are escalated to vehicle destroyed results. Is this correct?

Shaken and stunned results that are rolled for a vehicle that is already immobilised with all it's weapons destroyed are still applied, but would have no actual effect since the vehicle cannot move or shoot anything anyway, however it is worth noting this incase, for some reason, there are still passengers within the vehicle that could shoot out. They will be affected by shaken and stunned results if they want to shoot, until they exit the vehicle. If said vehicle suffered a further shaken or stunned result, then yes it is destroyed.

3) The rules state that if a skimmer moved "flat out" in its previous turn, then if it is immobilized, it counts as destroyed. If a skimmer moves "flat out" on his turn and on my turn, I shoot it and immobilize it, is the skimmer immobilized or destroyed? The ruling I got at the store is that the "destroyed" result only happens on the skimmer owner's turn, thus if I immobilize the skimmer on my turn, then it isn't destroyed. I think they are confusing "phase" with "turn".

If it moves flat out in your opponent's turn (the only time it is going to move anyway generally) and then you shoot it and roll an immobilised result, it is destroyed. They may be getting confused with the ruling from an FAQ that affects passengers in a vehicle that gets destroyed when moving fast in it's own turn, and only it's own turn. I can't remember exactly what this FAQ was about, but it was something to that affect.

this must be a house rule, multiple shaken results dont stack

its wrecked, but yes you have the jist.

again your correct, it isnt player turn, but game turn.. if you move flat out any immobilised result upto your next turn means your wrecked.. otherwise the only time youd roll is when you moved into terrain and since flat out gives a cover save there would be no point

In response to Iron Father Rik's post for #2

If I have a predator tank, and it has been immobilized, and all weapons are destroyed. On the next round of shooting, my opponent gets a "vehicle shaken" result, does this mean that the tank is destroyed or shaken? If he gets three vehicle shaken results, is it shaken, then stunned, then weapon destroyed (which then escalates to vehicle destroyed) or are all three results treated as shaken?

If a Rhino tank has been immobilized and the weapons destroyed, but it has a squad in it, and my opponent hits it with fire and gets three vehicle shaken results, is the vehicle merely shaken or destroyed.

Thanks for your swift responses.

If I have a predator tank, and it has been immobilized, and all weapons are destroyed. On the next round of shooting, my opponent gets a "vehicle shaken" result, does this mean that the tank is destroyed or shaken?

still only shaken..

If he gets three vehicle shaken results, is it shaken, then stunned, then weapon destroyed (which then escalates to vehicle destroyed) or are all three results treated as shaken?

shaken 3 times

If a Rhino tank has been immobilized and the weapons destroyed, but it has a squad in it, and my opponent hits it with fire and gets three vehicle shaken results, is the vehicle merely shaken or destroyed.

still only shaken, but the crew couldnt fire out of the fire points, they would have to disembark in order to shoot

If I have a predator tank, and it has been immobilized, and all weapons are destroyed. On the next round of shooting, my opponent gets a "vehicle shaken" result, does this mean that the tank is destroyed or shaken? If he gets three vehicle shaken results, is it shaken, then stunned, then weapon destroyed (which then escalates to vehicle destroyed) or are all three results treated as shaken?

Thanks for your swift responses.

My apologies, I maybe wasn't clear. The predator that you describe, with no weapons remaining and immobilised that suffers a shaken result, is shaken, not destroyed. Only another weapon destroyed, immobilised or actual wrecked results could cause it to then become destroyed. The shaken result would be applied, but would be moot as it is already unable to move or shoot anything anyway.

The same would apply to the Rhino. Three shaken results would be applied to it, which again would be moot because it can't move and has no guns anyway. However it would still affect the squad, who would be unable to shoot from the vehicle's fire points as they are within the vehicle, which suffered a shaken result. They can however, get out of the vehicle and shoot.

Also, I should point out, if the rhino suffers a stunned result, the passengers can still get out of the vehicle. They are not prevented from moving because the vehicle cannot move.

Just so everyone is clear, as there have been contradicting posts Shaken and Stunned results never ever stack. All of the damage results are explained on pg 61. I don't know what those folks at that GW store were thinking lol.

Archived