devastator squads

shan vener

hey guys, i've got a question that has been puzzling me for a while. what is a good loudout for devastator squad (no 4 ML's) i'm not trying to be a power gamer i'm just looking for a fun squad to use. currently my army lacks anti tank (and i play against marines often) so i was thinking 4 LC's :tu:

here's what i know i want

sarge w/ power fist, plasma pistol

5 bolt gun marines

4 marines w/ heavy weapons

:lol:

shan vener

I would arm your heavy weapon marines with 2 multi meltas and 2 lascannons if you are lacking anti tank. Other wise I would kit them out according to what army you are fighting against. Orks, no MEQ guard, and nids, I would take HB and or PC and leave the unit whole. Against SM, CSM, and MEQ guard I would use las and PCs and combat squad the unit with 2 heavies in each.

I've always liked the idea of heavy bolters standing in the back Going dakka dakka... Though the antitank capabilities are somewhat... "limited": >

Guess Lascannons is the only option since multimeltas lack the range and plasma cannons lack the strength... and lascannons are abit expensive...

Guess Lascannons is the only option since multimeltas lack the range and plasma cannons lack the strength... and lascannons are abit expensive...

Rocket Launchers work pretty well, imo, and are pretty darn cheap. If you're having trouble with LR, I'd go with a RAS squad 5/10 with meltas and drop them nearby.

Most eclectic load out I've been known to favour is 2 MLs, 1 MM and 1 HB in a squad of 10. Then combat squad them as needed dependent on what you're facing, normally 1 ML in each and the HB and MM in separate ones, with the sergeant in the anti-Big Stuff squad if you need them around more and in the anti-Small Stuff squad if they're more your thing. Looks bad on paper but works quite nicely in practice.

As others have said, Plasma and PF on a dev sarge is wasted points. I love 4 ml setups, most versatile setup as it can take out horde, meq, and armor, all for 130pts! You don't seem to like that setup, however, which is perfectly acceptable, so some alternatives i have used are -

3ml's 1 lc

4 MM's in a razorback - this one is a lot of fun

4LC's just seems too pricy to me, i would just run AC/LC preds instead, a better bang for your buck

"(no 4 ML's)" - what the author said...sure 4 missile launchers is the best pointcost*prestanda item...no argue there

Doh, missed that. Still, it's not unreasonable to go with 2 ML, 2LC. PC are anti infantry and MM don't have the range. If you're shooting at them, they're shooting at you. EDIT: As an aside, I'd say that if they're being included for tank-hunting purposes, there are better things in the list for that overall. It's also a bit tough to say "I'm not a power gamer" and then ask what the best loadout is;)

"(no 4 ML's)" - what the author said...sure 4 missile launchers is the best pointcost*prestanda item...no argue there

Doh, missed that. Still, it's not unreasonable to go with 2 ML, 2LC. PC are anti infantry and MM don't have the range. If you're shooting at them, they're shooting at you. EDIT: As an aside, I'd say that if they're being included for tank-hunting purposes, there are better things in the list for that overall. It's also a bit tough to say "I'm not a power gamer" and then ask what the best loadout is;)

a few things here

A. if it's rediculous enough i will do it (remember that 3000 point DC unit)

B. why are the sarge upgrades a waste, i have had dev squads assaulted by a lot of different units

will think of more later

shan vener

I have used to great effect a 10 man Dev squad with 2x ML and 2x LC in it. Combat squad them into two seperate units (when apropriate) and they are a very useful tool. For extra fun plop them in cover with a foot priest to babysit and watch as they surive darned near everything shot at them.

I have not used a dev squad since third edition, but back then I ran a dev squad with two lascannons and two plasma cannons in basically every game. Its pricey, but a ton of fun. Only game it tdid not get its points back was against eldar where they charge a Flacon instead of shooting it and were wiped out by the howling banshees inside. Other then that there just always seemed to be something on the table on my enemies side that they just devistated. Though I definately see the value of the 4 ML setup, it was just never my thing.

2ML, 1PC, 1 LC.

Can kill anything and works well vs heavy infantry. Even if it's surrounded by hordes.

The signum being used on either LC or PC is handy.

It also, unlike some of the other load-outs already mentioned, has the advantage that they work well together as a group with the only real shortfall being the 36" range on the PC. In short, you don't need to combat squad it (paying for extra models) to get near max efficiency.

2ML, 1PC, 1 LC.

Can kill anything and works well vs heavy infantry. Even if it's surrounded by hordes.

The signum being used on either LC or PC is handy.

It also, unlike some of the other load-outs already mentioned, has the advantage that they work well together as a group with the only real shortfall being the 36" range on the PC. In short, you don't need to combat squad it (paying for extra models) to get near max efficiency.

I second this build because you can Combat Squad them into 1ML 1 PL for taking out Troops and 1ML and 1 LC for taking out Hard Targets. Or keep them the in a 10man squad to save on Kill Points.

While the PC's 36" can be a pain the ability to ignore 2+ armor and 2+ wounds on 4T models is awesome.

Personally I run two Dev squads in my 1500 point list. One with 2ML and 2LC and the other with 2ML and 2PC. I find that the former is highly effective Vs Tanks and high end MEQ while the latter takes a sizable chunk out of MEQ, transports and hoards giving a fair mix Vs any foe. Thanks to the much more varied armies in this edition of 40k my Devs almost always have worthy targets.

As others have said don’t bother with pimping the sarge, keep them out of combat as much as possible. It’s actually quite easy when you think of what usually threatens your back line.

My anchor in all-comers list is this:

10 man devastator squad, 3ML, LC, power weapon.

Sanguinary priest with power weapon.

Techmarine with thunder-fire cannon.

The techmarine, of course, bolsters the building the devastators are in, usually giving them a 3++ save and feel no pain. If they are threatened up close, they charge instead of shooting, using the furious charge and the powerweapons to utterly mince opponents.

The only thing this formation doesn't excel against is av14, but the rest of the list has that covered.

My anchor in all-comers list is this:

10 man devastator squad, 3ML, LC, power weapon.

Sanguinary priest with power weapon.

Techmarine with thunder-fire cannon.

The techmarine, of course, bolsters the building the devastators are in, usually giving them a 3++ save and feel no pain. If they are threatened up close, they charge instead of shooting, using the furious charge and the powerweapons to utterly mince opponents.

The only thing this formation doesn't excel against is av14, but the rest of the list has that covered.

Sadly, Blood Angels don't have access to the Thunder-Fire Cannon :D

Archived