Models firing at the same time?

rusty1109

Hi all,

Had a bit of a heated discussion in a game the other night, wanted to know what you lot think.

I was firing my devestator squad at a tank and managed to destroy it on the third shot leaving a missile launcher unfired.

I wanted to then fire frag from the missile launcher in the hope of it scattering and doing some damage to his nearby troops.

He said that I couldn't do that because once something is destroyed you can't shoot at it, but the squad is taken as shooting at the same time surely?

Had I fired the missile before my lascannons and it scattered into empty ground I'm sure he wouldn't have minded.

What do we all think? As I see it the squad is taken to fire at the same time, so the missile launcher does fire and I only have to declare what it is firing just before it fires.

Thoughts please people!

Cheers

Rusty

I would say you resolve the missile launcher firing even though the target has been destroyed. That said, you must declare all shooting before resolving any of it so you would have had to state at the beginning that the missile launcher was firing Frag, before knowing that the Lascannons would take care of the target.

I'll have to make sure I declare my ammo type before the squad starts to shoot from now on, i've been going down the line deciding as I go on up to now.

But we're agreed that as long as I had declared frag I could still fire after the tank had gone so we were both sort of right.

Cheers all

I'll have to make sure I declare my ammo type before the squad starts to shoot from now on, i've been going down the line deciding as I go on up to now.

But we're agreed that as long as I had declared frag I could still fire after the tank had gone so we were both sort of right.

Cheers all

Hey Rusty,

You're forgetting that you have to resolve the hits all at the same time, and then once you have determined what hit and what missed you would roll for armor pen against the tank.

So lets say you fired 3 kraks and a frag....

you would roll for the three kraks, lets say you got 2 hits, and you would also roll (at the same time) the frag, it scatters and hits an enemy troop unit. Then you would roll for armor pen and wounds against the troop unit all at once, after that is resolved, your opponent will roll his saves and you would roll your vehicle damage (and any applicable cover saves by your opponent). This is how you must shoot with a multiple weapon unit, not one at a time, but rather all at once in steps.

This is so that you cannot fire the frag last after the vehicle is destroyed to injure the troops inside.

gdeathlegion is spot on. To clarify: you declare what everybody in the unit is shooting all at once, before rolling anything for that unit's shooting: so in this example you'd have to had declared you were firing a frag missile before you rolled with the lascannons to hit the tank. You did not "leave a missile launcher unfired"...it fired at the same moment everything else in the unit fired.

EDIT: I should also add weight, I feel, to gd's last statement: in no way can a single unit firing hit both the vehicle and the occupants of that vehicle except for one way: making said vehicle explode.

Archived