Complementing the Conversion Beamer

ShinyRhino

As the subject says, I'm trying to figure out the best compliment to a Beamer-toting Master of the Forge, ON FOOT. A Beamer on Bike might be optimal, but it's really not fitting with my vision of the weapon. I've already got a badass model made up for my MotF, but really need to figure out a viable entourage for him.

The problem is the mix of range bands the beamer can cover. The magical S10, AP1 band is VERY hard to achieve when your opponent knows it's there.

The most common shot end up being the S8, AP4 version, which is obviously a small blast. What is going to best match this fire mode?

Servitors are relatively cheap, and can bolster the MotF's repair ability, since it will be a dodgy 5+ without his servoharness. Basic servitors are cheap, but weaponized servitors are most certainly NOT. You can get a heavy bolter, or a plasma cannon. The heavy bolter is a direct-fire weapon, and only S5. The AP4 matches the Beamer, but the rest does not. This turns the beamer into more of an anti-infantry weapon, which is ok, I guess.

The plasma cannon servitor matches the blast fire mode, but not the S or AP. S7 is close enough to S8 to be compatible when shooting at light armor, but largely wasted on anything of AV12+. The mix of AP values also causes problems. Ap2 blasts can incinerate heavy infantry, where the AP4 blasts on the same target only serve to provide armor-saveable wounds that can be used to shunt the damage caused by the plasma! Not exactly an idea situation.

My next idea was to surround the Beamer with a Devastator squad. These guys ae packed with heavy weapons, but the cost is a tad higher than other spots. Obviously, they get access to the heavy bolter, and the plasma cannon, and the only benefit of buying them here is a boosted BS.

Missile launchers are more versatile, since they can select a fire mode. Shooting the Beamer at armor? S8 shots. Shooting at infantry? S4 blasts. The problem here is that neither option is really ideal. If you're firing the Beamer at armor, it's in blast form, and scatters, where the krak missiles do not. When firing at infantry, they have different AP values. Of course, the things you'll be firing the Beamer at with a S8, AP4 blast are likely just as susceptible to massed S4, AP6 blasts by virtue of "torrent of fire."

Multimeltas are right out. The max 24" range, and 12" melta range will only match a Beamer in the 19-24" range. If a target is in melta range, the Beamer fizzles to S6, AP - . Junk!

Lascannons are actually stronger than the Beamer, but are not blasts. Beamer shots directed at optimal lascannon targets (AV12, monstrous creatures, etc) are largely "insurance" shots. An extra hit at a lower S value to help finish things off, or throw that one extra wound in there. Lascannons are also brutally expensive for Devastators.

So, all that being said, what do you folks feel is the best comliment for a Master of the Forge toting a Conversion Beamer? A gaggle of cheap Servitors? A Devastator squad? Something else entirely?

Well, going purely from theory here...

Servitors are mediocre as ablative wounds. Only trouble is that having them as your attached unit makes the techmarine toughness 3. And if you're using a beamer, you don't want to waste much time repairing rather than shooting, so their utility in that regard is negligible, especially since you'll be parked in cover somewhere away from vehicles that are taking hits. You could conceivably pair him with a long ranged tank or two, in bolstered ruins, in which case a couple servitors wouldn't be an awful choice. Then you could have the choice of repairing or shooting, and your hidden servitor squad would grant your marine a 3+ cover save.

I've always been of the opinion that extremely long-ranged weapons like beamers and TFCs are better used as bait... they both pose a decent threat if left unmolested, and are relatively fragile compared to your main battle tanks and dreadnoughts and soforth. As such, your opponent is likely going to close the distance with them and eliminate the threat ASAP, since they're both easy pickings and dangerous. Use 'em to draw units away from the enemy's battle lines, into the firing lines of your units. In other words, perhaps you can look at complimentary units that you can deploy at right angles to the beamer, rather than things you deploy alongside it? Melta-laden tacs, sternguard with combiweapons, etc. to compliment its ranged damage with close-range fire.

In other words, perhaps you can look at complimentary units that you can deploy at right angles to the beamer, rather than things you deploy alongside it? Melta-laden tacs, sternguard with combiweapons, etc. to compliment its ranged damage with close-range fire.

This is an interesting idea, but what about using Sternguard to filfill both roles? A 5 man squad with 2 lascannons comes in at 155 points, so not as cheap as I'd like for this kind of support element. However, they would provide some high str shots at range, additional bolter power at mid range if you get outflanked or deepstriked, and a few more attacks than other options if you get assaulted. Definitely better than devestators or servitors in my opinion.

Of course I really feel the place for a beamer is on a bike, with a cheap biker squad for ablative wounds and scoring potential. But that's neither here nor there since you have a cool model itching to see the field. Have any pics?

Of course I really feel the place for a beamer is on a bike, with a cheap biker squad for ablative wounds and scoring potential. But that's neither here nor there since you have a cool model itching to see the field. Have any pics?

Sure do:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z43/goalie20/Warhammer%2040K/MotF/motfcomplete01.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z43/goalie20/Warhammer%2040K/MotF/motfcomplete02.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z43/goalie20/Warhammer%2040K/MotF/motfcomplete03.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z43/goalie20/Warhammer%2040K/MotF/motfcomplete04.jpg

My main reason to field this guy isn't really the Beamer, it's the ability to take extra Dreads. A pair of long-range Dreads parked alongside him makes for a solid firebase.

I do like the 5-man Sternguard squad. Flexible enough, but takes one of my Elite slots, which shorts me a Dread...

Awesome model!

I do like the 5-man Sternguard squad. Flexible enough, but takes one of my Elite slots, which shorts me a Dread...

So what you're saying is you want something out of the troops or fast attack section of the FOC to support your techmarine... okay.

How about 5 sniper scouts with a ML? Bolster those defenses and shoot anything that comes near. They would be cheaper and have more firepower than servitors, as well as having higher stats and no mindlock. If you have the points to spare you could also give them a LSS to tool around in for a late objective rush, or for emergency fire support, and whose jammer would also help keep deep strikers from popping up next to you.

I dunno, I like the idea of servitors with plasma, if they are cheap. You won't miss them if they get hot, and they help create a really deadly combination, plus I'd rather roll to deviate than roll to hit.

Otherwise, demisquad in a rhino. The MOF can shoot from inside the box, and it makes him a harder threat to deal with. If you can get a MOF with rhino and servitors, all the better. Make the rhino look like a tank recovery vehicle / workshop. Marines with lots of bionic parts would be fairly fluffy too.

It is unfortunate the conversion beamer is focused in reverse - the further you shoot the stronger it gets? Chalk that one up to bad technical editing...and a failure to pass University level 1 physics.....

Oh - and going with the title of the post, I'd say.....

Nice Beamer.

That's how I'd compliment it.

Parking the Master in a Rhino isn't the best. it's a Heavy 1 weapon, so 1/3 of the damage results on the table nullify his shooting for at least a turn. Rhinos are too easy to shake/stun/kill.

I suppose that the loss of one Elite slot isn't that bad. Six Dreads borders on overkill, so 5 should be plenty. Two for firebase duty near the Master, and three for forward movement.

I field a Beamer MoTF fairly often. I use the following as a "retinue" for him:

1. Sniper Scouts with Camo Cloaks and a Missile Launcher: Cheap, a troop choice, and Bolster Defenses makes them more resilient than Tactical Marines against most shooting (assuming a ruin in your deployment zone). Sniper Rifles mean they can wound anything you might want to shoot at and can glance up to AV 12.

2. Tactical Squad: Combat squad the Tactical squad. Stick the MoTf with either a Missile Launcher or Lascannon while the other half rolls around in Razorback.

3. Devastators: Quad Missile Launchers usually work well and are fairly cheap. Plus having a 2 wound model with a 2+ save can help keep them alive longer.

4. Tactical Terminators: Cyclone Missile Launchers work well in unison and everyone has a 2+ save. Plus, if you have to move, the rest of the squad can still shoot.

Just some suggestions but your army composition will really determine what options work best for you.

I have had great results with a MOTF list, but that might be because our local meta game is different. I run MOTF on he's own with just a beamer, if the opponent ignores him he always makes he's points back, if he sends a fast unit or shooting he's way it means he's not shooting at my squishy troops and he wasted it on a cheap unit. My list has 6 Vendreads with assault canons and extra armor and 2 TAC lasbacks. The list works really well in our local scene as people tend to underestimate it and don't think assault canons can blow up AV14 ;) MOTF has been the star a couple of times, last year at doubles tournament in 2 games he acounted for: 2 Defilers, medusa, chimera and 2 exorcists, that's nearly 7 times he's point value.

Archived